Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I am needing a new set of mh tyres and have been quoted £20 less per tyre for fitting a Heavy Van tyre against a camper tyre.

Can anyone say if fitting a heavy van tyre is a good or bad thing

Norman

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I am needing a new set of mh tyres and have been quoted £20 less per tyre for fitting a Heavy Van tyre against a camper tyre.

Can anyone say if fitting a heavy van tyre is a good or bad thing

Norman
Depends how good your fillings are. You will notice the harsh ride.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I would say carry on with your camper tyres with the stronger side walls that can run at higher pressures for longer periods.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I think its one of those questions that is a very 'personal' choice to be honest!!

we have van tyres on the front on ours, after much deliberation and talking with the local garage and tyre chap (both of which I trust as weve used them for years and never had any cause for doubting what they have told me) and I also queried it when the van went for its last MoT...all said upto 3500 then van tyres will do fine, even with the higher constant load that a MH has, i didnt ask about over 3500 as it wasnt relevant to me!!

All did say that camper tyres are an expensive ordinary van tyre though....

drive is pretty much the same as a camper tyre, only drawback is they are not that good on muddy fields as the ones I have are not M+S (next ones will be!)

My tyres are Minerva transporter RF09 215/70 R15 109 R so have a weight index of 1030kg, which is ample for our van,

Significantly cheaper too...

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There was a technical test carried out many years ago, which put a continental van tyre way above the top rated motor home 'camping' tyre.

The ride was fimer on the van tyre, but in gave better grip, less aquaplaning, and 25% less stopping distance with the camping tyre coming in last in most of the tests.

I'll have a browse later and see if it is still about.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I know slightly different but on saving money, I have had commercial vehicle parts put on my van at a fraction of the price after an accident..... so always well worth asking ... eg. the base of the vehicle, Peugeot, Renault, etc.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I think its one of those questions that is a very 'personal' choice to be honest!!

we have van tyres on the front on ours, after much deliberation and talking with the local garage and tyre chap (both of which I trust as weve used them for years and never had any cause for doubting what they have told me) and I also queried it when the van went for its last MoT...all said upto 3500 then van tyres will do fine, even with the higher constant load that a MH has, i didnt ask about over 3500 as it wasnt relevant to me!!

All did say that camper tyres are an expensive ordinary van tyre though....

drive is pretty much the same as a camper tyre, only drawback is they are not that good on muddy fields as the ones I have are not M+S (next ones will be!)

My tyres are Minerva transporter RF09 215/70 R15 109 R so have a weight index of 1030kg, which is ample for our van,

Significantly cheaper too...

When I increased the max weight of our MH one of the things asked was what tyres were on it.

Ours are 225/70 R15 112/110 S Light truck Bridgestone and were fitted by Autocruise as an optional extra which means I didn't have to change them on uprating the MH to 3850.

The rears have covered almost 50,000 miles and the wear is OK so far, those on the front were changed last year at about 45,000 so I'm not complaining.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Van tyres

as I read it, proper camping tyres are better and I was quoted £120 per tyre.
Remember Motorhomes are parked for lengthy periods when on winter sites for example and the CP tyre had stronger side walls for this reason.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
From new, our MH has never had Camping tyres, although the Hymer manual gives pressures for both Camping and Commercial.

We bought the MH in 2005, at six years old with only 33,000Kms (20,600) miles, so the Goodyear Cargo tyres on all three axles were still the originals. Due to age rather than wear, we changed over to Barum Vanis (Continental), four of which are still on the rear axles and due for changing in two years time, (again due to age rather than wear).
We have Bridgestone Blizzak on the front axle now, so as to give the maximum grip to the driving wheels, on ice, snow, and wet grass.
We've had no problems with commercial van tyres over the years. Our MH is used all year round, without long periods of storage. :thumb:

We use the most locally respected tyre fitting depot in P/boro (Apex Tyres), whose advice is always on safety first, then value for money. All the car dealers use them, including the local Mercedes, BMW, and Audi agents

HTH,

Jock.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Remember Motorhomes are parked for lengthy periods when on winter sites for example and the CP tyre had stronger side walls for this reason.

We don't park up for lengthy periods, even during our winter away, we frequently move our MH by going shopping and trips out so no problem there, and so why would I pay £200 extra for something I don't need.

A MH is built to be used, if you park up for long periods why not have a caravan?

Just a thought occurred to me, , do caravans have camping tyres?

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I am a little suprised how some people spend upwards of 15K for a motorhome and then try to save £100 on a set of tyres. If people are happy and confident then why ask; there must be some doubt to start with. Where safety is concerned I never allow any doubt what so ever.

I alaso have concerns regarding some funsters changing tyres to ones that are not standard as fitted when new - I'm sure the insurance company might regard this as a modification and possibly cause issues if ever a claim was made.

Just a thought and not intended to cause offence. You look at the facts and you make your choice.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Remember Motorhomes are parked for lengthy periods when on winter sites for example and the[HI] CP tyre had stronger side walls for this reason[/HI].

thats what 'they' want you to think....:winky:

as an example, the garage I use does lots of commercial vehicle work - and whilst i was enquiring about the tyres he showed me one of those vans with a lift platform on the back - kind BT etc use to get up to lines, had the same tyres he was recommending me to put on the van - and that van was weighing in at 3200 - without the workers onboard

also, he explained the ply rating wasn't used any more - its the load index that is important now. couldnt remember what he told me exactley so found this instead...Link Removed

And taking note of what Keith had posted earlier
"Ours are 225/70 R15 112/110 S Light truck Bridgestone and were fitted by Autocruise as an optional extra"

If the CP tyres were better why do autocruise provide an optional extra as an upgrade which is a commercial tyre?

Each to there own at the end of the day

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating

After reading all the advice, this post makes a lot of sense. When the time comes to change tyres this seems reason enough to fit the Motor Home tyres in preference to van tyres.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We don't park up for lengthy periods, even during our winter away, we frequently move our MH by going shopping and trips out so no problem there, and so why would I pay £200 extra for something I don't need.

A MH is built to be used, if you park up for long periods why not have a caravan?

[HI]Just a thought occurred to me, , do caravans have camping tyres?
[/HI]

good point but most caravans are about 1.5T - 1.8T thats 50% lighter

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there have been several threads on this and each time same points come out. as i recall from posts by an expert funster , there is a difference in side wall structure and designed for a more comfortable ride.

you pays ya money and makes ya choice! as they say.:thumb:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
[/HI]

good point but most caravans are about 1.5T - 1.8T thats 50% lighter

Per axle - so its about the same.

Found the michelin camping tyres to be rubbish, they perrish quicker have poor traction & give a very hard ride. Oh they cost too much.
With van tyres I can afford to go UP to the next load index & still save money, with the bonus of a better ride & off road traction.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped......I alaso have concerns regarding some funsters changing tyres to ones that are not standard as fitted when new - I'm sure the insurance company might regard this as a modification and possibly cause issues if ever a claim was made.

Just a thought and not intended to cause offence. You look at the facts and you make your choice.
Hi Shojac,

Providing the replacement tyres are of the same size, ply rating/load index specification, etc, (or better) there shouldn't be a problem with the insurance company.

What you are saying for example, is that if I fit Camping tyres, which deviates from the manufacturer's original fitting of van tyres, (Goodyear Cargo) then I could leave myself open to question, in the event of an accident, :whatthe: and likewise if Camping tyres were fitted as originals, and I then replace "like for like" (in size and specification), but with van tyres. :whatthe:
I don't think so, but I'm sure that's what the producers of Camping tyres might want me to think.
There is no way I'm paying £200 per tyre (x 6) when quality commercial van tyres used on applications much heavier than mine, and subject to more gruelling use than mine, are considered to be suitable and safe for commercial industrial use.

Re caravan tyres, they are basically commercial "van tyres", although some folks have been known to retro fit car tyres to their caravans, which is a definite no no. :whatthe:

Regards,

Jock.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Not wishing to disagree but I don't trust insurance companies. Shop around and you will get Michelins 215/75 x 16 XC's for £150 each. Vanco are more expensive, although prices do vary considerably. I think this may be due to manufacturing date where there has been issues with companies selling tyres that are already over 12 months old. The whole tyre thing can be a can of worms; me, I stick to my original quote, but it's a free world :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back