Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
I shouldn't have been following that thread on whether to fit extra security locks to HAB doors or not because I took the side of those recommending NOT to do it on account of it being an ad for your having something of value in the van. Well I've now got two Fiamma external locks on the HAB door and one on each of the garage doors plus shock activated alarms on all the windows. €300 and peace of mind. The French cops told me that robberies involving campers are regular and inparticular English ones!!! They even took my favorite saucepan - the bastards.
BUY Locks!!!!!
Still love crawling through FRance though and will resume once we get the repairs done
CHeers from pony boy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry to hear that.

More details would help us all, what time did it happen and exactly where.

Main thing is you are all right, hope you had insurance to cover contents.

OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Sorry to hear that.

More details would help us all, what time did it happen and exactly where.

Main thing is you are all right, hope you had insurance to cover contents.

Yeah of course, happened in Saintes MAries de la mer in the Camargue. there was a festival on there and we were parked in a dedicated Aire close to town and with at least a dozen other campers around. Just bad luck really we walked into townin mid afternoon. OUrs is a left hand drive too but obviously the GB number plates are a give away. One thing I did notice was that other foreign campers - well one or two have sort of mini clothes horses that hang off the front grill and with a towel hanging off them you can't see e number plate!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
there was a festival on there and we were parked in a dedicated Aire close to town and with at least a dozen other campers around. Just bad luck really we walked into town in mid afternoon.!

Oh dear, you did nothing wrong at all. Just an opportunist thief knowing there were good pickings likely. I'm amazed it happened, did any of your neighbours look dodgy ?

Oh well, enjoy a bottle and curse a lot. Four letter words allowed. Try "Merde" loud and hard.

Sam and Viv

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
of-on with caravans-40yrs
not nice

Hi Ponyboy
Sorry to to hear about you,r van, our m/home was attempted break-in a couple of weeks ago, I reported it on here person/s ripped a couple of skylights of the top off the m/home. I,m a bit like you thinking where do you start beefing up the security?

Sammy:Sad:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..happened in Saintes Maries de la mer in the Camargue. there was a festival on there..

Let me guess - the October 21 Gypsy festival?

When we were down there in August 2012 we said we'd probably give late October a miss. Sorry to hear some of them were so bloody predictable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ponyboy

ponyboy

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Tasmania
Funster No
MH
Hobbyvan AKA Jinks
Exp
April 2012
Let me guess - the October 21 Gypsy festival?

When we were down there in August 2012 we said we'd probably give late October a miss. Sorry to hear some of them were so bloody predictable.

Yeah the October festival - I'll post a pic of the new Brinks MAt style camper which will forge its way thru France and south towards moroco over the next few months.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Will the armour plating affect payload, Pony?

I am sorry - I've fancied going there again specifically for that, meself, but I think NOT now.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Don't worry about not siding with the security point of view before - life experiences are often the best lessons, and the ones you never forget.

As my uncle often says 'No point in getting older if you don't get any wiser'

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:Cool:more locks fitted the more damage caused when you get broken into, and they look for an easy way to get in i.e skylights and windows:cry::cry:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The company I use for all my security bits is
http://www.van-locked.co.uk/

They have been extremely helpful to me.

I have had deadlocks fitted (did it myself) bought from these people.

I will be getting the RepLocks next as my current locks are all broken except for the drivers one which feels as though it on the way out. I rely on the central locking. If the drivers door lock goes I will be buggered. The Replocks have a fantastic reputation and allegedly so simple to fit that they don't come with instructions :Eeek:
http://www.van-locked.co.uk/Shop/Products/Security/RepLock.html

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If I pulled up on a campsite and found out there was a Itinerant festival on nearby ,I would drive about another 50 miles away before I parked up again:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back