Understanding Volts and Amps and things? (1 Viewer)

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've had a little search through these forums and done a google search with not much luck.

Can anyone point me to a thread or webpage that explains to the complete novice about the readings that come up on the little computer pad in motorhomes.

You can click on the car sign or the motorhome sign and then click on the Battery voltage or battery current button. (V and A)
Things like:
What should Battery voltage read when full? Can you use the leisure battery till it says zero and then charge it up?
What is A and Ah or d after the number?
I've been told you have to watch these numbers and keep them at certain levels to stop you tripping out the park etc.

Those are just a few things, but basically I need to get the the whole volt and amp thing explained to me before we go off on our first motorhome trip and I blown the darn thing up. :cry:

Preferably explained in words of one syllable lol.

It all seems so daunting at first.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Brian.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
try reading this thread. although concerning solar panels, it includes explanations of how the batteries work
Broken Link Removed

in essence its all quite simple though. a full battery will read between 13.5 and 13.8 volts if the charger is connected. you only use about half the potential power in the battery before recharging 11v is about as low as it should go as 9v and below will damage the battery

a 110a/h battery is able to give in theory 110amps for 1hr or 55amps for 2hrs etc. in reality though expect a 110a/h battery to be good for 55a/h useage.
so if your tv takes 8amps expect 6hrs continuous usage without recharging. Most modern tvs take less than 8amp though

a well set up van with LED lights and normal use of pumps and a couple of hours tv you should get a weekends use from your battery. if you use sites with electric hookup, then this is irrelevant as the battery will continue to charge as its used. those hardcore campers that prefer to be offgrid for weeks on end use solar panels and generators to recharge the batteries

oh, and the state of the battery will not effect the site electrics at the bollard

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I've had a little search through these forums and done a google search with not much luck.

Can anyone point me to a thread or webpage that explains to the complete novice about the readings that come up on the little computer pad in motorhomes.

You can click on the car sign or the motorhome sign and then click on the Battery voltage or battery current button. (V and A)
Things like:
What should Battery voltage read when full? Can you use the leisure battery till it says zero and then charge it up?
I've been told you have to watch these numbers and keep them at certain levels to stop you tripping out the park etc.

Those are just a few things, but basically I need to get the the whole volt and amp thing explained to me before we go off on our first motorhome trip and I blown the darn thing up. :cry:

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Brian.

14.5volts when charging 13 volts wen full
About 9 volts when dead
Never leave a leisure battery at lower volts with out charging as it will damage the battery

Amps are not as easy to work out.
The old saying. A little knowledge is dangerous springs to mind
So don't get involved in that side. Leave it to an auto electrician

Simples :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
A 12v battery, measures 12.6v fully charged, when it has been off the charger for at least 2 hours. 12.3v is as far as you should take it down, about 50%. At 12v it is flat and at 11v you have killed it big time. :Smile:

Upvote 0

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005

Things like:

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Brian.

Hi Brian,

The answers you require are:

V = Volts

A = Amperes (Amps)

Ah = Ampere Hours

d = discharge.

If you can imagine pushing something along a surface it will create a resistance and you will need a "force" to push that thing along. That is what a Volt does. In technical terms:-

"A volt is the pressure required to push 1 Amp of Current through 1 Ohm of Resistance"

An Amp is the unit of current and is used to work out you wattage. Ie:

Amps x Volts = Wattage ( 10A x 12V = 120W)

Watts/Volts = Amps (120W/12V = 10Amps)

So if you have a Battery with a capacity of 110Amps, you divide that by the Amps of the item, In this case 10Amps and that will tell you how long that item should last using a fully charged Battery:-

110A/10A = 11Ah (Amp Hours)

d = discharge and this indicates that your batteries are discharging that number of Volts or Amps.

Dividing your Battery Amps or Volts by the figure displayed will give you an indication of how long your battery will work

A Fully charged Battery should be somewhere around 13.2 Volts and a discharged Battery is usually around 12 Volts.

If you take a battery reading straight away after charging you will get a much higher Voltage reading, it is recommended that you wait about 20 minutes after charging to get an accurate reading of you Battery.

I hope this helps a bit, but, I expect you are more confused that at the start.

Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
A 12v battery fully charged should read about 12.7v, as others have said this is when the battery has been off charge for at least 3 hours.

A battery being charged from the vehicle alternator should read around 13.7v while the engine is on and then trickle down to 12.7v over a few hours if fully charged.

If your using a Smart Charger (sterling battery to battery, sterling alternator to battery, CTEK D250S, multi-stage mains charger etc) then the battery will show a reading of up to 14.7v. Again after a few hours of not being charged it will read about 12.7v when fully charged.

If your battery is reading 12.2v after a few hours with no charging then the battery is about 50% full. This is about as low as most batteries like to be dis-charged without damaging them (some traction batteries can go much lower).

If it's reading below say 12v the battery is dead, will definitely need charging and may need replacing (most garages can test the battery very quickly and free of charge).

If you are using a standard split-charge system in your van this can only charge a battery to around 85%. Using an example of a 100Ah battery being charged from a basic split charge system this would mean the battery would only charge to around 85Ah and at 50Ah it would need charging. Effectively, this means the 100Ah battery has 35Ah of usable power.

A smart-charger can charge the battery to 100% so using the same example as above means you have 50Ah of usable power.

I'll stop now - could talk all day about this ::bigsmile:

I did so much research on this subject before installing my electrical system it was getting ridiculous :Smile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you're into your volts and stuff, try buying a couple of Link Removed, and sticking one in your dashboard socket and one in an available socket in your habitation area. You can watch the voltages rising and falling at various stages of your journey to your heart's content.

Typically the engine alternator or campsite hookup charger will put around 14.2v through my batteries, and will adjust for fridge, headlamps, heater etc. The solar panel (with its charge controller) on a sunny day will maintain the leisure battery at around 13.6v, then when the sun goes down the leisure battery settles to around 12.8v. If we put the telly and satellite tuner on we sometimes see the leisure battery drop below 12v but it pops back up again as soon as we switch the gadgets off.

Whilst I take the point about discharging damaging batteries it doesn't necessarily wreck them altogether. My engine battery accidentally discharged to an almost unreadably low voltage this winter, but after recharging it's still doing the business, supporting all the demands I can throw at it, and is starting the vehicle first time every time. Discharging is however best avoided, and having one of the ciggie lighter voltmeters above provides an early warning of any problems.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Have a look at the download at the bottom of this page you nmay find it helpful.

Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks

Thanks for all your hlep guys.

there seems to be a few differences of opinion there but I think I got the idea. My leisure battery reads 12.9 when full. I drove it for four hours and charged it for 2 so assumed that was enough to fully charge a battery.

I assumed that half power would be 6.5 but clearly it doesn't work that way. Some of you say that I can run it to 11 and others say 11 would be dead and run it to 12.3. I guess I'll get the hang of it.

I can't guarantee the battery is brilliant anyway, I beleive it hadn't been used for many months before being sold to me. If they are not too expensive it might be worth me getting a new one. This one has been in the motorhome for 14 years as far as I know in my 1999 model.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
If that is the original battery it's done very well.

I dont know if it is the orginal. Was looking at Leisure batteries online and I guess the thing to do is to get the 110a instead of the 80a. If I've got this right it means it will last longer ... ummm or does it mean I can run more things off it. Actually probably both. oh gawd! I've confused myself again. lol.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I dont know if it is the orginal. Was looking at Leisure batteries online and I guess the thing to do is to get the 110a instead of the 80a. If I've got this right it means it will last longer ... ummm or does it mean I can run more things off it. Actually probably both. oh gawd! I've confused myself again. lol.

Read the download I recommended, it will answer your questions, and then some.
In short, do not let your battery discharge more than 20%.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you

Have read the article posted. Great article. I think I have a better understanding now. I've just got to get my head around it. Thanks for all your help everyone.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I assumed that half power would be 6.5 but clearly it doesn't work that way.

Power refers to amps not volts i.e. a 100 amp/hour battery is at 50% discharge when 50amps have been used.

understanding the relationship between amps, volts, watts is not something you can grasp in 5 mins, if you find yourself down this way or at any meet I attend I'd be happy to talk you through it.

Upvote 0

mike9jr

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Joint J150
Exp
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Seriously........? Not let them drop below 20%.....
I'm gonna use all my payload on batteries!!!!!!!

I may have to look at solar..............

:cry::cry:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back