Oct 18, 2013
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
I'm a real newbie
Hi all
My wife and I decided to take the plunge and buy a motorhome after our son bought a VW T4 and added a bed etc. We had always wanted a motorhome so came to the conclusion that the savings, sitting in the bank, were getting no interest at all so we spent them instead.
We bought "Puff" (as in Puff the Magic Dragon) privately from South Wales. We travelled down by train and were given the keys and a two minute introduction, on how to operate everything, in the station car park!!. We had to move quickly as we were parked in the taxi rank. So we jumped in and started a very nervous journey home.
We are still very ignorant about motorhoming but having a fantastic time finding things out.

One question: I need to clean the roof as we have to park Puff under a tree. Can I put an aluminium ladder against the side. Will the upper body shell take the strain of me and a ladder against it?

Best wishes and thanks for any helpful answers. I probably have loads more basic questions due to the very brief handover.:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi and welcome.

ladders...no problem but wrap some foam or cloth around them to prevent marking the sides.

the main part of the roof will also take the average adults weight.

2 minutes is a ridiculous amount of time for a handover, you need an hour or more at least, so you will have a whole bunch of questions as you go on...ask away :thumb:

btw....you only get 4 or 5 free posts then you need to subscribe but its the best £10 you'll ever spend and advise given here will save far more than a tenner in dealers repair charges.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I washed mine yesterday and as Pappajohn says i put padding around the ladder. I use a long handle brush so no need to get on the roof provided you get all the marks off.
As i park under trees i try to do the roof regularly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the 'fun,

:welcome::welcome::welcome:
never been a better time to buy as you have found out. Enjoy and any questions ask away someone will have the answer. Do check out the rally calendar and chatroom.:thumb:

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Welcome and good-luck. I'm afraid I bought mine in a similar rush and have been asking questions on here ever since......and here's one more from a lazy van owner. Working on the principal that nobody actually sees the top, is there some practical reason for all this cleaning or is it just aesthetics?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Welcome and good-luck. I'm afraid I bought mine in a similar rush and have been asking questions on here ever since......and here's one more from a lazy van owner. Working on the principal that nobody actually sees the top, is there some practical reason for all this cleaning or is it just aesthetics?

You never know when you will feature in Police Camera Action.

It's a bit like wearing clean pants in case you get. run over ::bigsmile:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

Ah, at last, someone who thinks just like me ::bigsmile:

Clean the roof? Why??????

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp

Clean the roof? Why??????
Janine
I too wish I didn't have to wash my roof but if you don't then you will have streaky sides, so it's better to wash the roof twice a year. :thumb:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Janine
I too wish I didn't have to wash my roof but if you don't then you will have streaky sides, so it's better to wash the roof twice a year. :thumb:

Twice a year, B****y Hell, Better start trying to catch up then:ROFLMAO:

You could get one of those extending ladders that surveyors use, easier to store in the vehicle.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Welcome and good-luck. I'm afraid I bought mine in a similar rush and have been asking questions on here ever since......and here's one more from a lazy van owner. Working on the principal that nobody actually sees the top,[HI] is there some practical reason for all this cleaning or is it just aesthetics?[/HI]

[HI]
[HI]It's a bit like wearing clean pants in case you get. run over [/HI]::bigsmile:

[/HI]

[HI]Clean the roof? Why??????[/[/HI]QUOTE]

Because if you don't you get all those nasty black streaks and other stuff! You bust a gut getting the Sides, Back , Front, all lovee dovee, Sparkling even, a danger to over flying Aircraft, that bright!!:thumb: BUT!:Sad: the first time it rains?????:Doh: Crapola!!!:Angry:

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
> So many questons!!

:Smile:Hello Little Puff, and welcome to this great site :Cool:

Changed our van last Friday, and got a .....Bessacar E510 Compact.
Lovely van for up to 2 personages :Doh:.
We've only motorhomed for 2 years , so our knowledge is limited.
But ask away, and we'll try to help.....as will the others.

Oh, by the way.....:welcome::party2:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Because if you don't you get all those nasty black streaks and other stuff! [HI]You bust a gut getting the Sides, Back , Front, all lovee dovee, [/HI]Sparkling even, a danger to over flying Aircraft, that bright!!:thumb: BUT!:Sad: the first time it rains?????:Doh: Crapola!!!:Angry:

Oh no I don't...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp

It's a bit like wearing clean pants in case you get. run over ::bigsmile:

If you do get run over I bet your pants are not clean for long:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
L

LittlePuff

Free Member
Oct 18, 2013
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
I'm a real newbie
So many questions

Thank you all for your nice welcomes and advice about ladders and ability to clean the roof.
The reason I have got to clean it is that every time I look out the bathroom window I can see leaves and dirt on our new purchase.
Solution is to stop looking out of the bathroom window.
Perhaps stop washing altogether!! Then no need to go in bathroom.
Not sure the wife will stand for that.

Have a good week one and all.

Gerry

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I have a similiar problem in that swmbo can see the van from our upstairs so after struggling the first time I went out and bought her a rotary brush to go on the pressure washer, now she has no excuse:ROFLMAO:
(get some of that pipe lagging foam for the ladder and a bit of gaffer tape) you dont want the missus scratching the sides do you!!

Oh and welcome to the nuthouse::bigsmile:

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Twice a year, B****y Hell, Better start trying to catch up then:ROFLMAO:

You could get one of those extending ladders that surveyors use, easier to store in the vehicle.

Don't think you've seen the size of my vehicle .:ROFLMAO:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Thank you all for your nice welcomes and advice about ladders and ability to clean the roof.
The reason I have got to clean it is that every time I look out the bathroom window I can see leaves and dirt on our new purchase.
Solution is to stop looking out of the bathroom window.
Perhaps stop washing altogether!! Then no need to go in bathroom.
Not sure the wife will stand for that.

Have a good week one and all.

Gerry

Can see ours out of the bedroom window too! Trouble is, as has been said before, when it rains, the muck on the roof runs down the sides and causes black streaks.
I wash my roof at least once a month using a ladder with a pillow taped to the end and a telescopic brush with good quality car shampoo.
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back