I think I have the only 508D in NYC (1 Viewer)

only508dinnyc

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
NYC
Funster No
MH
1987 508D
Exp
Hi,
I imported one of the 508D military ambulances that L.Jackson Ex Nato was selling to New York City where I live.
I've had it since April and has thus far been everything I expected and more.
Also not as slow as I thought it would be.
Anyway with winter approaching I'm a little concerned about the lack of glow plugs even though I've read on this forum that if my batteries are in good shape
with the direct injection it shouldnt be a problem.
I know my 85 mercedes 300 with glow plugs can be hard to start if it gets much
below 20F without block heater plugged in overnight.
Is it advisable to cut my fuel with kerosene in the cold months for a little extra cold starting insurance and if so what is a good ratio?
Thank you
Sam
NYC

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I haven't a clue what your talking about I'm afraid. :Doh:
But I'm up , on the forum, and thought I'd welcome you anyway:ROFLMAO:
I'm sure all the knowledgable folk will be along shortly. Good luck.
Bev

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi and welcome to the forum. If its really cold I do cut with petrol/gasolene at around 5 litres in a 125 litre tank in my Mercedes 410 with the OM 602 engine. I do run 100% bio without tank heating so the the petrol does help in winter. As long as the batteries are good you should have no problems with starting, just keep winding away and she will eventually fire. Make sure you are well ventilated though :ROFLMAO:/
By the way, a good choice of vehicle, are you converting it to a camper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi Sam,welcome from up here,it looks like you've made a good choice by having a vintage merc :thumb: bullet proof,and good for a million miles if looked after and good for many years ,we have a 30year model and very strong our's as covered 375000km ,for up here in the winter we have a engine heater,as the derv is good quality up here i dont need any additives and starts with no problem at -25/30 but as snowbird say's make sure you have plenty of ventilation when starting in cold weather's,cheers Alf:thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Our old 608, same as 508 - OM314 engine - with over 700.000 on the clock, always started on the first press of the button even after being parked up in the snow & ice in the open for weeks. So fear not, with normal pump fuel you'll always start fine... :thumb:

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. My old 1958 508d was never a trouble to start but we do not suffer the extra low temperatures you guys do. I do have a fuel heater block with two heater plugs in it the heats the fuel going into the filter and then into the injector pump, it was used when I was running Straight Vegetable oil in the engine. Not sure what it would cost to post but am sure you could get something made up to suit. Am looking for £50 by the way and it has all pipes and switches to wire straight in.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Wow! What a wonderfully international thread. Perhaps we could become Motorhome Fun International. ::bigsmile:

Wyn

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
When it starts to get cold, use an anti-gelling agent in the fuel.

Link Removed

Stanandyne seems popular with many in the states, with regular drops to -26 at night, and no reported issues.

YankeeCamper

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
NYC
Funster No
MH
don't own ... yet
Exp
Seen your 508D!!!

Hi Sam,

I've seen your 508D parked behind the Bloomingdales in Soho on occasion. I'm interested in a similar vehicle for NYC. May I ask you how you dealt with registering your vehicle in NY State as well as auto insurance?

Regards,
Vincent

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi YankeeCamper and welcome :thumb: I am not sure but the original poster only came on the once so I don't think you will get a reply from them about importing /tax etc (try rt clicking on there name and see if you can send a PM -personal message) - someone else may be able to advise :winky: but usually it's the other way round question of importing from USA to UK --you only have limited time and free massages before you either subscribe or become a read only member :Smile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back