Night Sky from 1854 metres up (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On our recent trip to Italy we stopped overnight at the Montgenevre aire in the Alps on the French-Italian border, elevation 1854m. It had been a clear day with a light breeze, and as night fell there was no Moon, which is crucial for star pics. Ironically, as I stepped out of the MH with my camera kit, a bright shooting star whizzed across the exact bit of sky that I was planning to photograph, but you can't win 'em all.

Anyway, the pic below was taken from behind some trees to block out the artificial lights from the Aire, exposure time 15 seconds, f3.5 (aperture wide open), ISO (ASA in the old money) 3200 and the camera was on a rock solid metal tripod I'd picked up by chance at an auction.

As you can see, altitude makes a hell of a difference to atmospheric clarity - the pale haze in the photo isn't smoke from a nearby fire, it's the gaseous background structure of our galaxy, more commonly known as the Milky Way. It made the long winding drive up from Grenoble all the more worth it.

Click the image below to see a larger version:

Link Removed

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
as a londoner we are always amazed at the number of visible stars there are when we are out in the country let alone being up a mountain

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Magicsurfbus,
I love looking at sky pics,why I live where I do.Something made me right click on the pic just in case there were more.:thumb:
What a stunning collection of pics you have,just spent 30 mins looking through absolutely fantastic,some of places close to me also.
I used to do a lot of photography back in the day,weddings,own developing etc and your's are absolutely superb.I urge other funsters to venture past the single photo,you will not be disappointed.
Thanks so much,a great start to my day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Thanks so much,a great start to my day.

Thank you for your generous feedback. Charente-Maritime is our favourite area of France and is great for photography - I am deeply envious of your location. One of my plans for this year is to try and make some money out of my snaps, so as a fellow photographer your comments are much appreciated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back