Batteries/immobiliser - what is the problem (1 Viewer)

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi guys,

Okay, for anyone who hasn't read my previous thread, I went to Holland to buy a Hymer Mercedes B555 1992. Drove it some distance Tilburg to Rotterdam, stayed in a hotel, the next day it wouldn't start.

Dutch AA guy tested the batteries and they were both broken. I went to kwik fit and bought new batteries. It seemed to be okay, great as soon as it started, but had a problem a couple of times which seemed to be the immobiliser (stupid thing on the dashboard you have to connect with thing on key fob, before you put the key in).

Okay, so new batteries were put in Saturday afternoon, got back to Harwich Tuesday night and finally back up to Scotland Thursday night. Lots of driving and okay to start.

Friday/Sat no use of van. Tried to start it Sunday, I can't get it to start. It just does nothing. I have turned all the electrics off in the van, so is it the battery or the immobiliser thing that is the problem? There is clearly a problem.

Also, I am going to go to Halfords today to buy a battery charger, is there a particular sort that I need to buy? Sorry for being dim but "I know nothing".......

So, I'm away for the next week, as I've thankfully had great advice not to let it run down anymore and recharge before I go away, I can sort that out before I go, but I really need some advice as to what might be the problem.

Thanks so much! :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I put a reply on you last thread regarding testing the alternator.

RE; Chargers, go to ALDI as they have a charger which doubles as a maintenance charger (similar to c-tek) which will be useful for £13. With the money you save, pick up a volt meter (£5)

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi Pinkie,

After all that driving and a new battery you should not expect the vehicle battery to be flat after standing 3 days.

When you say it "does nothing" what do you mean? Do you get the ignition lights when the key is turned? Does the engine try to turn over or do you hear a clunk? Do the head lights come on?

If the battery is flat it may be that it is not being charged when the engine is running which could point towards the alternator being faulty.

Lunarman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Albeit on a Citroen/Peugeot/Fiat 2.5td engine, a friend of ours with a Hymer had a problem starting: turn the key = absolutely nothing. I went out to rescue him (he'd stopped at a fuel station to fill up), clouted the starter with a hammer and it started fine. Next few starts all was ok. Then it did it again a week later. Dismantled the starter motor which was all crudded up inside, and cleaned it up. All good for a couple of weeks As he was going away he decided to change the starter motor. He's had no problems since.

Occasionally on our MH nothing happens 1st turn of the key. 2 or 3 turns in quick succession and she starts fine. So I'll probably get a new starter when I get round to it... (1991 and starter not replaced before).

:Smile:

Some years back we had the same problem with the old MB608 - had new solenoid fitted to starter and had no further probs. (cost £25 fitted)

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi guys,

Thanks for those useful replies.

Well it's difficult for me being deaf! But when I turn the key, the lights do come on for a second but no noise or the engine trying to turn over.

Will pop to Aldi now and see if I can get the battery charger.

Thanks.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
having charged the batteries and started the van. Using the new multimeter you bought, you did buy one didn't you; measure the voltage across the batteries it should increase when the engine is running, if it does not then time to look at the alternator.
I fear it is not charging and running home with lights on would have flattened your battery.

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Pinkie,

Just a thought but as its an automatic you have got it in "Park" haven't you. It wont start otherwise.

Lunarman

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi,

Yes, not that blonde!!!!

I can only drive automatics so am used to that!

x

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Right, just been to Aldi's (thanks so much for the tip!!!) got the battery charger and the voltage tester, so off out now to check them, i'm concerned now IT IS (or sounds like) the alternator is the problem, let me fumble about for a bit and see what's happening! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Okay, the battery reading was 9.2v, so i'm charging it now.

Where do I find the alternator?

And what is the best thing to do if I'm leaving the van for a week, I don't want to have to buy new batteries again.

Thanks.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
9.2v is really flat.

Just a thought, does your van have a 3 way fridge and if so is it switched to 12v?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Okay, the battery reading was 9.2v, so i'm charging it now.

Where do I find the alternator?

And what is the best thing to do if I'm leaving the van for a week, I don't want to have to buy new batteries again.

Thanks.

The charger you just bought also acts as a maintenance charger, so if you leave for a week, you can leave this attached and plugged in and it will look after itself.

Where the battery is currently low, the charger may be on motorcycle mode until it reaches a level where it can switch to car mode. In this mode it regenerates batteries that have lost alot of charge, such as the level yours is at now.

The alternator will be strapped to the engine (so to speak) Follow the battery leads down to the alternator if unsure. It will be cylindrical in shape, and have a belt that is running it from the front of the engine.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/alternator.htm

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi,

I have a fridge in the van, but i'm not even sure that it works, didn't seem to get cold, although Poppy said it made a noise when on.

Anyway, there is a Power Invertor 12v coming from the battery which I assume is powering the back of the van things - is that correct?

I've switched it off, as is everything else.

Also, if this little charger I bought this morning is 12v - will it charge the battery enough for me to start it?

Thanks.:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
the charger will charge to 13.5v area, which is where a battery should be. 12v will start the vehicle, but wait until it is charged!

As you battery is low, it may take a while to charge to that level, so don't panic if you go out in a few hours and it hasn't risen much.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
The charger you just bought also acts as a maintenance charger, so if you leave for a week, you can leave this attached and plugged in and it will look after itself.

Where the battery is currently low, the charger may be on motorcycle mode until it reaches a level where it can switch to car mode. In this mode it regenerates batteries that have lost alot of charge, such as the level yours is at now.

The alternator will be strapped to the engine (so to speak) Follow the battery leads down to the alternator if unsure. It will be cylindrical in shape, and have a belt that is running it from the front of the engine.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/alternator.htm

Thanks Rainbow Chasers, you are great for explaining things properly for the mechanically challenged.

I have to walk the dog now, but will have a look at the link and the alternator on my return, at least I can leave it plugged in whilst away, that's reassuring.

Any ideas of rough costs for a new alternator?

Thanks again! :thumb:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi,

I have a fridge in the van, but i'm not even sure that it works, didn't seem to get cold, although Poppy said it made a noise when on.

Anyway, there is a Power Invertor 12v coming from the battery which I assume is powering the back of the van things - is that correct?

I've switched it off, as is everything else.

Also, if this little charger I bought this morning is 12v - will it charge the battery enough for me to start it?

Thanks.:thumb:

The fridge when run off 12v will probably operate from the starter battery. It should have a voltage sensing relay so it only works on 12v if the engine is running.

I had a van years ago where the relay wasn't working properly. I left the fridge on 12v and it flattened the starter battery overnight.

If it is on the 12v setting it might be worth flicking to a different setting even if just to eliminate it as the possible problem.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Thanks Rainbow Chasers, you are great for explaining things properly for the mechanically challenged.

I have to walk the dog now, but will have a look at the link and the alternator on my return, at least I can leave it plugged in whilst away, that's reassuring.

Any ideas of rough costs for a new alternator?

Thanks again! :thumb:

Recon one will be around £100. New anything up to £250 margin.

If you are not in the vehicle when you are away, make sure the earth is disconnected, the caps are loose to allow ventilation and there is plenty of airflow. The charger cannot get wet either - something to think about with the weather. If you know someone who can keep an eye on it for you, all the better.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Or as simple as a faulty PARK switch. So wriggle the gear stick around N or is it P and see if anything happens.

If 9.2V on the starter battery then the above is not the problem.

You bought 2 batteries - normally we call them Starter Battery or Engine Battery and Habitation battery.

Have you measured the second battery, the habitation one that runs your lights, TV and that sort of thing ? That also will be knackered if allowed to stand at a low voltage.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If you can get a mains lead for the charger to the MH can you not just plug in the hook up lead and charge everything, that will overcome any issues with damp and disconnecting things. That will then charge both batteries and keep the fridge cold to test that.

Enjoy your trip away you sound like you need a break!!

David

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi guys,

Blimey this is getting confusing now!

First thing's first, I have an outside plug socket which is right next to the van (has a flap cover on it, which when plugged in should keep the rain off). I can run the lead through the window so the charger won't get wet, so that should be okay.

Now i'm back from the beach I will look for the alternator and test that.

Then I will attempt to look at any other "fridge" suggestions etc., but at that stage I might lose the plot a bit.

I have loads of other stuff to do too and haven't packed yet. (Business as usual here then......:ROFLMAO:)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi guys,

Blimey this is getting confusing now!

First thing's first, I have an outside plug socket

Hello again, do you have a hook up lead for the MH, usually orange colour? Then do you have an adaptor that will plug into your outside socket that the hook up lead will then attach to?

With the MH attached to mains this will charge everything in one go

If not the option to put the charger inside will work well

David

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
If 9.2V on the starter battery then the above is not the problem.

You bought 2 batteries - normally we call them Starter Battery or Engine Battery and Habitation battery.

Have you measured the second battery, the habitation one that runs your lights, TV and that sort of thing ? That also will be knackered if allowed to stand at a low voltage.

Good point. If I am charging the first battery, what do I need to charge the second as well. I'm up to 11.6 on the charger at the moment, so hopefully will be charged soon. Do I need to go back to Aldi and buy a second charger?

Not feeling too lucky today! :Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Good point. If I am charging the first battery, what do I need to charge the second as well. I'm up to 11.6 on the charger at the moment, so hopefully will be charged soon. Do I need to go back to Aldi and buy a second charger?

Not feeling too lucky today! :Sad:

Depends ! First measure the volts, if around 12.5 it's a happy battery.

If it's exactly the same as the other battery it may be linked somehow.

If it's lower than the other then how fast can you get to Aldi.

You are in a really bad position here, rushing is a good way of getting something wrong yet if you leave them uncharged for a week they might die.

When do you leave for Italy ? It's a great place for motorhomes.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Okay, although the first battery is only up as far as 11.6, I have checked the second battery and it is at 11.4, so clearly not running down so much.

If I get a bit more charge on the second battery and then leave the first battery on constantly whilst I am away, that will probably help won't it?

Need to do my hair (roots), have shower, pack and drive 1.5 hours to Edi airport, not much I can do now!

Help!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Enjoy your journey and Italy, we will be all here when you get back waiting to see how you got on, got to getting your van ready for Morocco, life is certainly full of adventure for you at the minute. :Smile:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Thanks Carol - looking forward to a bit of sunshine and relax now! ::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Okay, although the first battery is only up as far as 11.6, I have checked the second battery and it is at 11.4, so clearly not running down so much.

If I get a bit more charge on the second battery and then leave the first battery on constantly whilst I am away, that will probably help won't it?

Need to do my hair (roots), have shower, pack and drive 1.5 hours to Edi airport, not much I can do now!

Help!!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
11.4 volts is flat. Although its called a 12v battery, it should have a voltage of around 12.8v with nothing connected when its fully charged. A 12v battery which is only 12v needs charging.
Sorry if this is even more confusing.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
going back to your post about the inverter, leave this turned off when not in use as it will take a lot out of your battery.

most if not all motorhomes have a built in charging circuit for the habitation or leisure battery. plug the vans electric hook up lead in and it should recharge your other battery.

as for the alternator, you can only really test this when you have enough power in the battery to start the engine. measure battery voltage with engine off, then start engine and measure again. you should get a reading between 13.5v and 13.8v showing a charge going to the battery.

at first check the cables and connections to the alternator, and double check the drive belt is tight and not shiny, caused by slipping. its quite common for alternators to sieze up when stood for a while. it may be cheaper to have your alternator refurbished rather than replaced.

removing the alternator involves freeing off 2 or 3 bolts and disconnecting the cables. take a photo on your phone to remind you how it goes back together and thoroughly clean wire connections when reassembling. from experience, dont cut corners when reinstalling, and replace the old fanbelt as it may already be worn and stretched

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Both are still flat.

But 11.4 on the hab battery is good, flat but probably will recover if it does not go lower. Make sure everything inside is off. You may have just run this down using it on the way home.

The engine battery, it's up to you to risk it dying or take the risk of leaving it on for the week.

Another few days and all would have been so much easier. That's life as a Pinkie it seems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back