Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Well I may as well come clean I was in Aldi last weekend and as a result bought a moisture detector and a memory foam topper!
The moisture Meter was something I had been looking at for a while,and the topper was the last one in a ripped bag £12 off at £ 30 a king size so I thought I'd give it a go.
I've had my van for a year and a half and it's not had a hab check by myself or it's last owner totalling prob 6 yrs . I've read a few threads about how European vans need re-sealing at certain periods,most recently by a Rv owner ( there's no accounting for taste). Talking to other owners and looking at spec sheets for sealants there appears to be a much broader time line than others would have you believe! Anyway mines a 2004 van and I've been quietly shitting it all week,worried about what readings I was going to get!
All in all there's good news and bad news ,the good news is I've tested the van everywhere and theres no sign of damp !
The bad news is I've struggled to drag myself out of bed every morning because my foam topper is that bloody good!
My mattress at home has been knackered for a good while and you could feel springs etc coming through.I'd heard about these toppers and seen them,but seeing how thin they were had dismissed them.How wrong I was! Anyone whose not tried one it's well worth giving it a go!
The rear bed in our van has always been more comfy than our bed at home,so with this topper it should be even better .Ill even bet that it's that comfy that I'll get to sleep before Mrs Vlad starts farting and snoring and keeps me up all night! It's a pity they don't do a super absorbent one so that when I'm pinned to the back wall ..................:Eeek:

Vlad

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Vlad
In Market Harborugh in Aldi shares the same car park was Waitrose so I can park without anyone suspecting, in fact I was in there last week when a woman in front of me at the checkout acutely said on her mobile " Yes darling I'm just in Waitrose" :thumb: :thumb:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I think your getting me all wrong ,I often shop at Aldi but couldn't believe I'd lowered myself enough to buy a moisture meter and never considered myself old enough to need a mattress topper !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We bought a mattress topper for the 'van at the Malvern show and loved it so much we bought one for our bed at home. We saw the Aldi one @£40 but Dunelm's sale price was less.

Wish I'd got one years ago.

Has anyone tried using an electric blanket with one? Or perhaps I won't need it now.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We bought a mattress topper for the 'van at the Malvern show and loved it so much we bought one for our bed at home. We saw the Aldi one @£40 but Dunelm's sale price was less.

Has anyone tried using an electric blanket with one? Or perhaps I won't need it now.

We used one on a full memory foam mattress for ages, no problems, and after all, a topper is the same sort of thing.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

Has anyone used an electric blanket off their inverter?
Mind you, where's the earth? No RCD either!!!:Eeek:

Bad idea!:Doh:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

No RCD? Fit one! All modern vans have an RCD I believe, our 04 Winnie certainly does.

Ian

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've had a Raskelf memory foam topper for 6 years and its probably the single best accessory we've ever bought. ::bigsmile:

We also bought a damp meter recently and didn't find a single damp spot in our 2002 van. :thumb:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Aldi etc

The mental picture of mattress topper, moisture detector, and electric blanket in close proximity conjures up visions of Nursing Homes For Old Motorhomers......:ROFLMAO:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No RCD? Fit one! All modern vans have an RCD I believe, our 04 Winnie certainly does.

Ian

On the inverter? Only if you put one on! It won't work though, you need leakage to earth to make it work. Very unlikely that a wooden bed structure will provide a good earth path!

It goes without saying that the vans factory AC system has one fitted by law.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back