Austrailia - East coast anyone? (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We have just finalised our trip to Australia for 2014. We land in Sydney and intend to head up the East coast towards Cairns. Our stay is for 2 months and a motorhome is booked.
Have any fellow motorhomers travelled this area and have information regarding routes, itineries, wild camping sites, campgrounds and even mobele phone sim cards. Anything would be very much appreciated.
We already have a multitude of maps and books but first hand knowledge is always better.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Wilf

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry I can't help but what a fantastic adventure. Safe travels. If you can please let us know how you progress.:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds great:thumb:

I have been to Sydney and Cairns but flew between the two.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

iceman

Free Member
Dec 29, 2012
orkney
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Just head north

Hi not good at this computer things we. Spent 8 weeks on the east coast 4 weeks about caierns and 4 weeks south we really enjoyed the north
http://www.capetribulation.com.au/ we stayed at a few campsites will try and find them.will be going back to NQL really nice up there

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
LUCKY SOD !

Enjoy yourself ,that comes close to a fantasy for me.My late dad and thankfully present mum had a good few trips to oz to meet one of my dads old friends ( not an old convict by the way) and told stories of parrots in trees,wild open spaces,lovely beaches and excellent fishing !
Thank god I'm of Scottish origin,or I might have heard a story of sweaty wellies and sheep, in a town like Alice Springs.!

Enjoy your trip and revel in the fact that a lot of us are wishing we were you!

Vlad the envious. :cry:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Australia - East Coast

Hi, might be worth a pm to Kiwi Coss who is in the UK at the moment.
S

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
We did Sydney to Cairnes in 2011 in a camper van. We stuck as near to the coast as possible as I surf. We took 2 1/2 months it's a fantastic journey. Lots of free camping places and the campsites are really nice and well sorted. You can get a card which gives you discount at campsites called big five or something like that.some days we did big long drives because it's a long way, other times we spent a few days at one spot.( if the surf was good). Watch out for roo's on the roads. Do a trip out the barrier reef to snorkel etc. we stayed at one campsite and while having breakfast we watched to humpback whales splashing about. We were there in September, October and into November. Have a good one.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
The Old Green Eyed Monster has risen, very jealous of you.

Can't comment on the campsites etc, but when you are in Sydney, take the ferry across to Manley and spend a day there. Also try and do the Bridge Climb, a once in a lifetime experience.

At Cairns, do the Night Zoo, and watch out for the rogue python!!!!! Take the Train up to Karunda and ride the Karunda Aerial Ropeway back, 7K long all above the jungle canopy. You can buy these trips as a package.

From Cairns take a Catamaran trip out to the Great Barrier Reef and either dive or snorkel it. Wonderful. Try and buy an underwater camera, good for depths up to about 10m (30ft) I got some great pictures of turtles when I was there.

Most of all, enjoy yourself and have a great time.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The Old Green Eyed Monster has risen, very jealous of you.

Can't comment on the campsites etc, but when you are in Sydney, take the ferry across to Manley and spend a day there. Also try and do the Bridge Climb, a once in a lifetime experience.

At Cairns, do the Night Zoo, and watch out for the rogue python!!!!! Take the Train up to Karunda and ride the Karunda Aerial Ropeway back, 7K long all above the jungle canopy. You can buy these trips as a package.

From Cairns take a Catamaran trip out to the Great Barrier Reef and either dive or snorkel it. Wonderful. Try and buy an underwater camera, good for depths up to about 10m (30ft) I got some great pictures of turtles when I was there.

Most of all, enjoy yourself and have a great time.

I had my best ever meal in Manley.

It was a seafood assortment on a huge plate.

I wasn't actually that keen but the jealous looks from my wife, brother and mother made it delicious:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
In two months, you can in comfort, go from Sydney, take the Pacific H/way all the way to Darwin if you wish. the border is about 14 hrs drive to Queensland, Brisbane a couple more, Cairns? depends how fast you drive10? 12?
Just outside Sydney (about 100-120 klicks) is a place called "the Entrance" there is a Sea Food Stall there that will blow yer mind!

And when in Sydney, forget about being ripped off at Manly, Bondi , Bondi Junction, Tamerama, Paddington, Oxford Street or Kings Cross, get yerself to the REVESBY WORKERS CLUB , don't let the word "WORKERS" put you off, Five Restaurants, from Silver Service to Bistro 1275 Pokies that subsidise the Food ,and ,the grog, just show your passport and you are in as a guest. There is a great Italian Restaurant in Cairns, opposite the Suzuki Hotel, and just south of it is the best place in Aus to get "Eggs Benadict" for breakfast:thumb:

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
Sydney; climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge, have a meal in the rotating restaurant at the top of the Amp Tower.

Take a trip inland to Katoomba through the Blue Mountains and have a meander through the Hunter Valley and visit a few of the wineries.

If you do travel to The Entrance stop off at Avoca on the coast.

North of Cairns you have the Cook Highway up to the Daintree River and Rainforest. Good scenery. 4x4 recommended beyond the river.

Cairns tropical zoo is worth a visit as is the trip to the Great Barrier Reef. Can recommend a trip with Quicksilver on their big cat hulled boat and a snorkel round once at the reef.

Oh and the speed cameras are not prominently visible on the main highways out of Sydney.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back