Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok, as a motrohome owner of just one week, here is my first official question. Please don't laugh. I've never owned one before and me and my partner are trying to work stuff out without the aid of some manuals. :Sad:

On the control panel there is a picture of "a tap" on two of the buttons. One says "INT" and one says "EXT".

We worked out this is the water pump and it has a 9 litre seperate tank which I assume is for hot water. When you fill up the main 60 litre tank, does the water automatically go into the 9 litre tank? Do I have to press the "INT" button to make it do so? Or am I suppossed to have the "INT" button pressed when I am having a shower? does it provide power?

All I know at this stage is that it makes a noise when I press it, but I don't know what it does or when I should have it pressed.

Any help wouold be appreciated. :thumb:

Brian.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi, the hot water tank will fill automatically from the cold with no intervention.
the int/ext button I have not come across but no doubt someone else has. My guess would be int = normal and ext= dump the water from the tank for winter drain down.
or
maybe the pump can be switched to pump water from an external source onto the main tank but I somehow doubt it. Simple enough to check if it is dumping the water when on ext.

Upvote 0

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
It will be for internal pump or external pump if you have gat a whale submesible pump internal will run the pump from the main inboard tank the water heater will fill up automaticaly when you fill the tank and turn the pump on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've never seen an Int/Ext switch before but on the two vans we've had the procedure to fill the hot water tank is to open one or more hot taps to draw the water through. At first it will just be air and gurgling, then spluttering followed by a steady flow of water when the tank is full.

As regards manuals, can you post the make/model of your van please - somebody may be able to point you to a download source. Also, handbooks are available for individual fittings (hob, toilet, water heater &c).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Computerised system manual

I don't have a manual for the pump but in the computer manual it says ...

"Internal pump: Before it is possible to use water from the internal tank, this button must be pressed (indicator should come on). This then provides 12 volt power to the pump to allow it to operate. If an output is provided on your water pump, the indicator will also flash to show the pump is actually running."

So I know I have to press it, but what is not clear is, if I press it initially to fill up the tank if it happens to be a non self filling tank (although I think this may have been answered) or if it is supposed to be switched on when showering or whether I just leave it on, but it does make a gurgling sound, so I panicked and switched it off.

(The EXT appears to be a button that transfers water from an External tank into your fresh water tank automatically).

I have a fiat ducatto 2.8 IH Savannah Gold by the way,.

Many thanks.

Upvote 0

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
With our M/Home you have to have the pump switched on before anything happens.

After you have filled the main water storage tank turn the "INT" pump on, then open the cold water taps on your sink and the pump will start pumping the water through, when you have a good flow tunrn the tap off, the pump will continue to run for a short period and should then stop.

Open the Hot water tap and the pump should start pumping again, it will pump the water from the storage tank, through the water heater and then out of the hot water tap. Again, when you have a good flow turn the tap off and the pump should stop.

A couple of things to remember:

If the pump continues for a long period after you have closed the taps you may have air in the system or the water in the storage tank may be low.

You must ensure that any drain down valves are closed. If the vehicle has been left standing for some time the drain valve might have been opened and any pumped water will just be pumped to the ground outside and wasted.

DO NOT use the water heater until you are sure it is filled with water as if it is empty it could explode.

What make and model of M/Home is yours, Funsters own a wide range of models and there is nearly always someone with a similar model who can assist.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
With our M/Home you have to have the pump switched on before anything happens.

After you have filled the main water storage tank turn the "INT" pump on, then open the cold water taps on your sink and the pump will start pumping the water through, when you have a good flow tunrn the tap off, the pump will continue to run for a short period and should then stop.

Open the Hot water tap and the pump should start pumping again, it will pump the water from the storage tank, through the water heater and then out of the hot water tap. Again, when you have a good flow turn the tap off and the pump should stop.

A couple of things to remember:

If the pump continues for a long period after you have closed the taps you may have air in the system or the water in the storage tank may be low.

You must ensure that any drain down valves are closed. If the vehicle has been left standing for some time the drain valve might have been opened and any pumped water will just be pumped to the ground outside and wasted.

DO NOT use the water heater until you are sure it is filled with water as if it is empty it could explode.

What make and model of M/Home is yours, Funsters own a wide range of models and there is nearly always someone with a similar model who can assist.

Well that pretty much tells me all I need to know. Thank you so much for this. £10 well spent already :winky:

So basically the "INT" button can be left on (with water in the tank) or at least turned on when I am having a shower or washing up and then turned off again as it is responsible for pumping water from the tank/s into the hot and cold taps. Have I got that right?

Brian.

Upvote 0

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Well that pretty much tells me all I need to know. Thank you so much for this. £10 well spent already :winky:

So basically the "INT" button can be left on (with water in the tank) or at least turned on when I am having a shower or washing up and then turned off again as it is responsible for pumping water from the tank/s into the hot and cold taps. Have I got that right?

Brian.

Baically "yes"

Cold water pumped straight from Storage Tank

Hot water pumped from Storage Tank to Hot Water Heater and then taps.

Hot Water usually takes 10 - 20 minutes to heat up. It is not instantanious.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you

Baically "yes"

Cold water pumped straight from Storage Tank

Hot water pumped from Storage Tank to Hot Water Heater and then taps.

Hot Water usually takes 10 - 20 minutes to heat up. It is not instantanious.

Thanks Estcres. Amazing that I spent half a day tring to work it out yesterday and all I needed to do was subscribe to motorhome fun and ask. Everyone has been extremelly helpful. Thank you.

Brian.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this is just a guess......

the external position could be for an external socket for a FILLING pump.

water carrier stood outside with separate pump connected to external socket, switch to on and fill your main tank....saves lifting 30 ltrs of water to the filler neck.

Upvote 0

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Estcres. Amazing that I spent half a day tring to work it out yesterday and all I needed to do was subscribe to motorhome fun and ask. Everyone has been extremelly helpful. Thank you.

Brian.

You're welcome, that's what Motorhomefun is all about, helping each other in a friendly manner

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)

I have a fiat ducatto 2.8 [HI]IH Savannah Gold[/HI] by the way,.

Many thanks.

Can't find a manual to download but there is an IH owners club . Might be worth a tenner to pick their brains. Somebody might have one they can copy for you.

Looking at an advert on eBay you probably have a Thetford toilet (most do), Carver heating & hot water and your fridge is probably Electrolux/Dometic.

There are manuals on-line for Thetford and Electrolux/Dometic.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Don't get worried if the Hot Water tap takes a while for the water to come through when you are bleeding the Air Out after filling. The hot water tank on mine holds 11 litres so it takes a tad longer than the cold to bleed:winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Exactly right

Can't find a manual to download but there is an IH owners club . Might be worth a tenner to pick their brains. Somebody might have one they can copy for you.

Looking at an advert on eBay you probably have a Thetford toilet (most do), Carver heating & hot water and your fridge is probably Electrolux/Dometic.

There are manuals on-line for Thetford and Electrolux/Dometic.

That's exactly what I've got. I'll get on it straight away.

B.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
All worked fine.

You're welcome, that's what Motorhomefun is all about, helping each other in a friendly manner

I did exactly what you said and it did exactly what you said it would do. All seems to be working fine.

Have now checked water, water pump, taps, shower, toilet, and electric hook up and plus sockets. Gonna check emersion heater tomorrow and am picking up gas tomorrow so will be able to check gas for heating the water and check cooker and heating all works.

But at least I know I have water and electric so far and all seem to be working well.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back