Oil in diesel tank .................... (1 Viewer)

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
When I filled up with diesel yesterday I put 200cl of engine oil in the tank first.
After about 20 kilometres Swmbo asked what I'd done to the engine - she'd noticed the engine was a lot quieter and smoother than before.
There's a massive amount of info/forums/discussions on the web about 2-stroke/engine/old sump-oil :)Eek!:) being added to the fuel, with various beneficial effects.
I've done this many times over the years with many different vehicles and the effects have always been real and very noticeable. Never had any of the oft-mentioned possible deleterious effects.
The fact that sulphur is no longer put in diesel fuel nowadays is a factor often brought up...
Anyway, it works for me and our 2.5td. It worked in the old MB608 and various other vehicles.

Just interested in other people's experiences.

And no, it's not a 'placebo effect' :winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have always recycled my old sump oil in this way. Filter it first and stick it in the tank. I did some experiments some time ago with black diesel, but it was too time consuming and messy. The great thing about these older non electronic engines is that they will burn just about anything you put in there.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
An interesting subject,please tell me More:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Alf. Diesel is only thin oil. You would think that by putting engine oil in with the diesel that the engine would smoke, but it doesn't. Older engines like we have will burn a 10% mix without any detriment, and not only without detriment, but with added lubrication. Modern low sulphur diesel has little if any lubricants and by adding engine oil the engine does seem to run quieter. I know an elevator fitter who runs a 50% mix of hydrolic oil and diesel, he gets the oil when they change it, filters it and sticks it in.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Thanks Dave shall be giving this a go,i can see the benefits for lubrication purposes,so again thank's to you Both for an interesting and informative subject,we are never too old to learn old tricks:thumb::thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
works a bit like in the old days you added redex .
one of my dads mates used add castor oil in his vehicles . swore by it .

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Most interesting post. We have a 2011 Ford transit engine so will add some at next fill up and se what happens.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Most interesting post. We have a 2011 Ford transit engine so will add some at next fill up and se what happens.

I can see big expensive tears ahead !

All other posts are by owners of ancient injection pump engines, put it in a modern high rail diesel at your peril.

It may work.

But better get more data first.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Nice to realise any old oil will do :thumb:I was pointed last year to a site that claimed Mercedes were adding two stroke oil into fuel on some test vehicles to stop premiture wear on pumps etc.
I tried a gallon of petrol in a full tank and that had a possitive effect without doing any damage (that I noticed) simply chucked out black smoke for a mile or so then went to normal so I assumed it had cleaned the injectors ::bigsmile:
terry

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years

All other posts are by owners of ancient injection pump engines, put it in a modern high rail diesel at your peril.

It may work.

Brian, how old is old?

I have a 1997 2.5 ducato

Mike

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I would suggest anyone with a drive by wire pump or ECU controlled engine does there own research. Those with older engines that are considering adding engine oil, make sure if using old sump oil that it is filtered down to 5 microns or less. Start by adding 1 gallon per tank and slowly build up to 10%.

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
I did lots of research into alternative fuels, which led to me running my 08 Hilux, on vegetable oil for over 50,000 miles.
The oil was much cheaper than diesel, about 50p a litre, when bought in bulk.
Anyway, I did look into black diesel. Its illegal to chuck this in your tank, just as kerosene.
No duty paid.
As said, old oil, if not very carefully filtered, will damage a common rail engine.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian, how old is old?
I have a 1997 2.5 ducato
Mike

It's not so much age as type. The original diesels have a tough mechanical pump with a thin pipe going from the pump to each cylinder. Just perfect if you want to drive around the world and get it fixed by the local blacksmith.

For over ten years we have a VERY high pressure electric fuel pump feeding electric taps ( injectors ) on the top of each cylinder. You see one pipe jumping injector to injector ( the high pressure fuel rail ) and an electric connector with two thin wires ( as opposed to the heater with a single thick wire ) on top of each cylinder. These injectors are micro-fine and produce a mist like puff of fuel which burns better. Block these at your peril.

There's nothing to stop you putting fuel additive / cleaner as sold in Halfords in the later ones.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
In my humble opinon
Old style DPA or in line fuel pumps will burn just about any thing
From as said from hydrolic oil and paraffin with no external sensors
On sytem other than your boot on pedal
But our more modern common rail systems are a very differant beast
As they are purely electronic with sensors changing the amount of fuel delivered to injectors and changing timming depending on power demand so when you put your boot down in effect the computer tells the fuel delivery sytem what to do
Some of these sytems learn as you drive to give peak performance so if you keep changing fuel types you are heading for bother

Me I would
Old school put in anything clean that will burn
New types of derv top up a drop of oil or red x to lubricate the sytem a little more as said before modern fuel has very little lubricant

New school do nothing drop of red x every now and then

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

It may work.

NOTED..............:cry:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It's not so much age as type. The original diesels have a tough mechanical pump with a thin pipe going from the pump to each cylinder. Just perfect if you want to drive around the world and get it fixed by the local blacksmith.

For over ten years we have a VERY high pressure electric fuel pump feeding electric taps ( injectors ) on the top of each cylinder. You see one pipe jumping injector to injector ( the high pressure fuel rail ) and an electric connector with two thin wires ( as opposed to the heater with a single thick wire ) on top of each cylinder. These injectors are micro-fine and produce a mist like puff of fuel which burns better. Block these at your peril.

There's nothing to stop you putting fuel additive / cleaner as sold in Halfords in the later ones.

Spot on, Brian....... in simple terms that even an idiot like me can understand :winky: :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back