Anyone got one of these?? TomTom GO LIVE Camper & Caravan (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
Anyone got a TomTom GO LIVE Camper & Caravan satnav?

Since my Son has 'borrowed' my trusty but very old TomTom 1 I am in the market for a new one.
I have read all sorts of reviews about the camper specific satnavs with positive and negative feedback and that has been for the Snooper, Garmin and TomTom. I'm looking for info I can trust from my brethren (and sistren) on this fair forum before I separate myself from a fair wedge to get myself a good satnav,,,,,,,, warts an'all. TomTom's can be had for about £300 if you shop around - worth it do you think???

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Tom Tom etc

Hi, we bought a Snooper S7000 a couple of years back, mainly for the size of its screen and because you can set vehicle dimensions and weight. We have found it very easy to use and I can recommend it, plus it comes, or did when we bought it, with club and European sites, etc, preloaded. Not cheap though £400.::bigsmile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have the TomTom Go Live Camper Sat Nav. It has guided us through France, Spain and Belgium without any problems. Not a cheap unit and the cost of new maps and Go Live subscriptions are quite expensive.

Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
TomTom camper sat nav. Recently bought this to replace the TomTom go. You can put your vehicle dimensions in at set up, very easy to use. Would recommend, although a bit expensive.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
100% recommended. We got stuck in a little village in the UK and took 50 minutes to get out!!!! I went out and bought Camper & caravan version and since then no problems in UK,France,Germany and here in Spain. Lots of money but worth the "stress" relief

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I am also in the market for a new Tom Tom but am holding back as the current ones do not have the facility for the user to input their own POIs (such as ACSI and Aires) and also do not enable you to input Latitude and Longitude co-ordinates to set a route to - also important to me for ACSI sites.

Both of these features have been included in my old Tom Tom Go so very frustrating that they have been removed in the new ones. Will wait and see if included in a future release. Do like the lifetime maps and lifetime Traffic updates and I also would prefer the Always Connected feature on the Go 6000 and 5000 which will save on mobile roaming charges particularly when abroad.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I am also in the market for a new Tom Tom but am holding back as the current ones do not have the facility for the user to input their own [HI]POIs (such as ACSI and Aires) and also do not enable you to input Latitude and Longitude co-ordinates to set a route to -[/HI] also important to me for ACSI sites.

Both of these features have been included in my old Tom Tom Go so very frustrating that they have been removed in the new ones. Will wait and see if included in a future release. Do like the lifetime maps and lifetime Traffic updates and I also would prefer the Always Connected feature on the Go 6000 and 5000 which will save on mobile roaming charges particularly when abroad.

I have no problem doing that. I have added loads of my own POI's and use Lon & Lat when needed.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well I've had my Tom-Tom Camper version for almost a year now and yet again I sing its praises, but I haven't ever had the poor performance that others have had.:thumb:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I am also in the market for a new Tom Tom but am holding back as the current ones do not have the facility for the user to input their own POIs (such as ACSI and Aires) and also do not enable you to input Latitude and Longitude co-ordinates to set a route to - also important to me for ACSI sites.

I have a fairly new Tom Tom and loaded Archies 30,000 campsites with no problem, just follow the instructions in My TomTom.

Mike

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
So far generally positive recommendations. I think I shall go for this one, I like the idea of installing size etc and hope this helps around the tight, low and narrow.
I also like the camping site guide, some with reviews.

Does anyone use it as a hands free phone also?

Many thanks for the info so far, I have read so many differing reviews on the net I just get confused with the 'too much research' syndrome. :roflmto:

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Hi All,
Anyone got a TomTom GO LIVE Camper & Caravan satnav?

Since my Son has 'borrowed' my trusty but very old TomTom 1 I am in the market for a new one.
I have read all sorts of reviews about the camper specific satnavs with positive and negative feedback and that has been for the Snooper, Garmin and TomTom. I'm looking for info I can trust from my brethren (and sistren) on this fair forum before I separate myself from a fair wedge to get myself a good satnav,,,,,,,, warts an'all. TomTom's can be had for about £300 if you shop around - worth it do you think???

Regards,

I bought one and had to send it back as the weight limit doesn't go high enough for our motorhome, from memory the highest limit is 5 ton

Sep 13, 2007
lanarkshire,scotland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
twenty years
I have just bought a Tom Tom go from a fella from the wildcamping forum, he loaded it up with wild camping spots and aires for Uk,Ireland, france Spain, Portugal, morocco, Belgium and Germany. He also took the speed traps out for France.
Very helpful chap, cost £200, bargain.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
I emailed TT and asked whether you can delete Go Live and replace system with Camper TT, they said yes but not recommended, so just have to sell old TT and buy the camper one, if its that good.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I still have doubts about all these so-called Motorhome/Caravan devices. The publicity blurb is all very well but when you delve a little deeper it doesn't seem to stack up (my highlighting).

TomTom
Coverage for height, width and weight restrictions On [HI]major[/HI] and interconnecting roads
Snooper
Ventura will calculate a route that is practical and safe, avoiding [HI]legal[/HI] height, weight and width restrictions.
Garmin
Entering your vehicle’s profile characteristics does not guarantee your vehicle’s characteristics will be accounted for in all route suggestions. Always defer to all posted road signs and road conditions.
Falcon
Vehicle size/weight restrictions are only available on routes where data is provided by local councils.

Earlier this year I was looking around at devices because the Garmin we had didn't show PoIs and so on as well as a TomTom we used to have. I tried - and failed - to get a straight answer from Snooper and Navteq as to whether their products contained any narrow road data other than legal restrictions. I ended up getting a TomTom Go Live 820 with lifetime mapping on special offer from Currys and downloaded a set of low bridge PoIs.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have to say that I am very happy with our TomTom Go720, with Truck maps loaded on to an SD card.

Cheers,

Jock.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I sure are ring leader jim had one on trial !

Yes I remember that I think.

Jim probably threw it against a wall though when Wales thumped England in March.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi Graham,
thanks for getting back.
Now these were the sort of things that have been discussed on other 'feedback/review' areas I have researched.
I really don't think we can expect a satnav be totally, 100% accurate for things like every narrow road or limit as it's an ever changing thing - yes a narrow road or weight limit that is permanent or legal (no road works or under reconstruction, been there for years) then these should be within the software. I also understand the satnav companies not being able, or want, to guarantee (lots of should, coulds, use of driving skills and perception etc) routes as any damage to your vehicle or issues could be cited towards - "the satnav made me do it" we only have to look locally where I live to see artics stuck in a farm lanes and narrow villages with 90' bends.
I have always seen a satnav as an aid for the driver, and not so much an autopilot.
Not being too familiar with downloading additional features, my old tomtom has just been plugged in and off we go - however the old girl gets confused when we drive on roads that may have been constructed since we have had it, it just panics and gets all moist about it.:roflmto:
Once we get the new one I have promised myself I will upload all it needs, use the hands free functions and feed it every update necessary to keep it up to date.

Regards,

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I fully agree that a sat nav is merely an aid. Like any computer it is just a tool and, like all tools, has to be used correctly. What annoys me about the hype surrounding large vehicle sat navs is that the companies don't come clean up front about the fact that they haven't actually measured roads and that, in the absence of legal restrictions (which may well be less than physical width), their software works on less accurate data.

We carry a Truckers Atlas in the van and use that as well as the sat nav.

One thing I did ensure with the device I bought earlier this year was that it included lifetime mapping updates as, otherwise, it can be very expensive keeping maps up to date to stop the device having an attack of the vapours ::bigsmile:

That reminds me of a caveat for anyone buying second hand. Lifetime mapping update deals are normally restricted to the original owner not the device. So, a device sold on eBay would lose its lifetime mapping. I confirmed that with Garmin when I wanted to give our old device to one of our sons.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
clipped........That reminds me of a caveat for anyone buying second hand. Lifetime mapping update deals are normally restricted to the original owner not the device. So, a device sold on eBay would lose its lifetime mapping. I confirmed that with Garmin when I wanted to give our old device to one of our sons.
Thanks for that Graham. It is certainly a point worth remembering.

Cheers, :thumb:

Jock.

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Good advice there Graham - never would I have thought about the second hand/lifetime maps issue, that is important. If I bought second hand I would end up in the same position with the old tomtom.
As I am seriously thinking about the investment, I really want to get it right but of course I am trying to be realistic about these things - new has to be the way to go for the above at least..

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If I were wanting to buy one at the moment (and bearing in mind that I only want UK mapping) I would look at the TomTom XL2 IQ UK & ROI. Both Halfords and Currys/PC World have it for less than £80 with lifetime map updates included.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have the Camper and caravan and use it mostly in Europe. It's very, very good. I think the live services is it's best feature and would definitely buy again.

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
We bought one, its a great bit of kit but the updates are pricey.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I have just bought a Tom Tom go from a fella from the wildcamping forum, he loaded it up with wild camping spots and aires for Uk,Ireland, france Spain, Portugal, morocco, Belgium and Germany. He also took the speed traps out for France.
Very helpful chap, cost £200, bargain.

I am about to purchase one and need to ensure that I remove the speed traps function. Can anyone comfirm that this should be easy please? Thanks.

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
I just bought a 7" truck satnav of of ebay, came straight from hong kong for £55, have used it and cant fault it

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I am about to purchase one and need to ensure that I remove the speed traps function. Can anyone comfirm that this should be easy please? Thanks.
Yes, another little thing the French will nab you for, any kind of speed trap equipment.
Yes you can turn the function off. and you can add poi's if required.
good tool but a bit expensive, I was talking to someone at Lincoln last month and they had the same thing from eBay china model for £55 we compared the two and could find no deference. You pays ya money and takes the chance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back