Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Is this perchance the Leicester section of The Grand Union Canal?? If so, is this above Foxton Locks??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the only ray of sunlight this morning here in wet Wales :cry:

Attachments

• IMAG0298.jpg
    IMAG0298.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 47

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Lose anything on your walk then Hilda??Seriously tho nice pics.
images

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Just reading a book ,The Canal Age, by Charles Hadfield published 1968. Your brilliant pictures bring to life the engineering achievements of a past age thanks

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ahhhhhhhhhh....Its the Ashby! Brill moorings at the battlefield site. ::bigsmile:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I can remember when "Ken " took to walking a dog down the canal towpath every day :ROFLMAO:
Is that why you want a dog?

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Ahhhhhhhhhh....Its the Ashby! Brill moorings at the battlefield site. ::bigsmile:

Thats a nice walk, Ambion Hill, start at Sutton Wharf, walk through the woods, up to the visitors centre, then to Shenton Station, then along the canal back to Sutton Wharf.

Great place Bosworth, we (Welsh) came, ding dong One - Nil,
Henry VII, great fly half :winky:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Do you walk the canals or bike them? My wife (Lee) and I love biking along the different canals we come across. We biked some of the Grand Union recently - Brentford to Little Venice. Whilst on the canal it's like an oasis of calm and hard to believe its winding its way through an incredibly built up area of London.

Rob

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Do you walk the canals or bike them? My wife (Lee) and I love biking along the different canals we come across. We biked some of the Grand Union recently - Brentford to Little Venice. Whilst on the canal it's like an oasis of calm and hard to believe its winding its way through an incredibly built up area of London.

Rob

I do both, I may cycle to the canal and then walk it, yes, its very quiet, a place to stop and think..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Rob
Yourself and shifty have inspired me to get on the bike along the canals and rivers that we are blessed with in this part of the country. I used to do it regularly but have somehow got out of the habit. Armed with my S2 I'll see what I can find next week. :thumb: Must remember my lock just in case I stop at a couple of pubs on the way.:Smile:

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
those canals and bridges etc look awesome, cant' wait to get over there and go for a meander.

and the ray of sunlight shot is gold. great work that.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Lovely thread Dave, Ed and I love cycling and walking the canals, a really nice one is at Crickhowell, Wales. You must be getting quite fit with this exercise.:Smile:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Lovely thread Dave, Ed and I love cycling and walking the canals, a really nice one is at Crickhowell, Wales. You must be getting quite fit with this exercise.:Smile:

7 miles today, what I do is cycle to the canal then walk the canal and then cycle home, I prefer to walk compared to cycle.

I have a theory that bike saddles were designed by women... They are crippling..

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yourself and shifty have inspired me to get on the bike along the canals and rivers that we are blessed with in this part of the country. I used to do it regularly but have somehow got out of the habit. Armed with my S2 I'll see what I can find next week. :thumb: Must remember my lock just in case I stop at a couple of pubs on the way.:Smile:

The sheer beauty of cycling the canal towpaths as you get older is that they are flat! Any locks you encounter, well, that only a tiny hill, never over a few feet to pedal hard, and these days, lots of benches are positioned at nice locations so you can have a drink, or a sandwich if you wish. It's a great way to get about whilst receiving exercise. Lots of older people in our area use the canal towpath during the week, when even the busy places are quite. An organisation called SUSTRANS have been upgrading the canal paths of recent years. You can download their cycle maps off the web.

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
actually , today after avoiding this hill for a long time (more mind than hill), I managed it wthout stopping, one less hurdle.
I prefer walking to cycling, but the bike gets me to the canal quicker.

I left the house today just before 10 and it was raining, yep, I could have called it off, but no pain etc.
Loads of people out in the sun, I may start taking a flask, it can get a bit chilli.

Ah well gym on Monday, more walking and cycling.. I am doing around 18 or so miles and about the same on the bike, during the week,,, I think, feels a lot more.

I intend walking the whole of the Ashby canal, its 31 miles,,

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Ashby canal was first built, (as were many at the time), to carry coal from the prodigious coal fields around Ashby-De-La-Zouch, to the fast growing industrial areas around Coventry and Birmingham, with limestone cargoes returning to be burnt for agriculture. The canal itself is an offshoot to the Coventry canal, and starts at a pretty grim location outside Nuneaton, overlooked by a brooding council estate on a hill, however, the towpath has been upgraded over recent years, and you are soon passing under pretty bridges in a slight cutting. At bridge 5, the canal opens up, with the old red brick isolation hospital on the right, built for the (treatment)? Of TB.
The only major town is at Hinkley, and even that is quite quaint from the canal. Further on is a pretty canal side pub, (think it's the Three Tuns), where you can sit and eat, the food is very good. A visit to Market Bosworth is recommended, a pretty little town/village about half a mile from the canal route. After passing a large marina to the right, you eventually arrive at the battlefield moorings, (the battle of Bosworth Field, where King Richard 111 got the chop). If you wish to visit the battlefield, and the visitor centre at Ambion Hill, then cross at the next bridge, following the lane to the right.
The canal then meanders on until it reaches the short tunnel at Shackerston, then its terminus now. There are plans to return the canal to its former destination at Ashby, but the coalfields were in the end the cause of it's demise, in the form of major subsidence. However, this is an area much overlooked, very pretty, and well worth a visit. :thumb:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007