Leak from push fit 't' connector HELP! (1 Viewer)

Goldilocks40

Free Member
Sep 18, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Morning all
Just trying out our van for first time and we have got a big leak from a 'T' connector after the pump (rear dinette got flooded last night) would really appreciate any advice please on sorting this please.
Dawn

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
push fit rely on the pressure to seal the joints. usually when they leak it is because there isnt enough slack in the pipe and when the pressure is off the joint comes apart. Once they go it is normally best to replace but if thats not possible check the O ring inside it is not kinked at all and the pipe is not damaged at all. You may need to cut a bit off the end and remake the joint. Hope you can sort it.
C

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
first thing u must do is turn off the pump .then try and push the pipe in to the tee piece a bit further if that dont work drain the pipes and take the tee off u do that by pushing the round ring on each of the connecters in towards the centre of tee and clean and then refit .hope this helps turn all taps off then put on pump bleed slowly through cold water tap and then hope its ok .good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the end of the pipe must be cut at 90deg to the pipe and the first inch must be unmarked....even scratches can cause leaks.

if it still leaks the damage may be in the T piece so needs replacing.

OP
OP
Goldilocks40

Goldilocks40

Free Member
Sep 18, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks guys, we are off to local caravan shop to get parts this morning...on a fully serviced pitch so have tap and water on hand.....feels like we're camping in a tent again lol x

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I agree with all of the above but I would consider swapping the fittings and pipe to the Hep 2o fittings and pipe as these cannot unmount in the same fashion.

This will be my winter project as I have had a similar problem with these fittings weeping from time to time also whilst I am swapping them over I can insulate all the pipes.:thumb:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
You say that you were using the van for the first time. Does this mean that it has been stood for a while? If so, then it's possible that the O ring could have 'set'. In which case it will need replacing.

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
the end of the pipe must be cut at 90deg to the pipe and the first inch must be unmarked....even scratches can cause leaks.

if it still leaks the damage may be in the T piece so needs replacing.

Change the fitting, do not bother trying to do anything with the original.

Do not bother with Hep2O, Speedfit are what you want, I have fitted thousands of these and they are the easiest to fit and can be dismounted (thats a plus point, not a minus)

You can get Speedfit at any plumbers merchants, B&Q if you want to be robbed or eBay, they come in various sizes, just measure your pipe dia. If the pipe is manky you may need to add a bit in which case you will need one or two straight connectors to add a new bit and some pipe. If its plastic pipe you may need a couple of inserts if metal not :thumb:

Any problems just let me know and i will try to help

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
pound to a penny that you have the white whale push fittings, change to the black John Guest ones if possible far superior,http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/12mm-push-fit-equal-tee-1156-p.asp have never managed to find the speedfit ones in 12mm at any plumbers outlets or places like B&Q , etc around here.

Last edited:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I got some in Mansfield from my local merchant also got 12 mm red an blue pipe:Smile::Smile::Smile:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I got some in Mansfield from my local merchant also got 12 mm red an blue pipe:Smile::Smile::Smile:
most of them around here don't seem to stock any below 15mm , seems they only cater for standard household sizes. can only get the 12mm stuff from local caravan places or our usual supplier Grass Routes Leisure

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Just search eBay for 12mm speedfit, there are a multitude :thumb:

Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We had same problem in a difficult position it only needed pushing in another 1/4ins needs a lot of force for a pidling plastic pipe

John

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We had same problem in a difficult position it only needed pushing in another 1/4ins needs a lot of force for a pidling plastic pipe

John

I had the same problem on our narrowboat, but just couldnt get the 'positional push' to shove the thing in a bit more, so I made up a string tourniquet, and wound the bl**dy thing into place. Worked a treat. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back