Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
We have a smev f0211gt oven/grill in our hymer. It was retrofitted new and we only recently have tried to use it now its a bit cold and wet for bbq's. The grill works fine but the oven is strange it will light and stay on then the flame will start to rise up inside like it is being blown from underneath it then sometimes will settle back and other times it will go out completely. You have to watch it all the time as it will blow itself out. It has a fridge type vent in the outside wall and also a roof vent above it. I have tried with vents covered/uncovered but no difference. I have found that as the flame starts to become erratic if I open door slightly it settles back down. I am wondering if there is a fault with the oven as it was virtually new and unused we don't know if it ever worked properly as we did not buy it.

Jun 1, 2009
middleton manchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
6 years
We have a smev f0211gt oven/grill in our hymer. It was retrofitted new and we only recently have tried to use it now its a bit cold and wet for bbq's. The grill works fine but the oven is strange it will light and stay on then the flame will start to rise up inside like it is being blown from underneath it then sometimes will settle back and other times it will go out completely. You have to watch it all the time as it will blow itself out. It has a fridge type vent in the outside wall and also a roof vent above it. I have tried with vents covered/uncovered but no difference. I have found that as the flame starts to become erratic if I open door slightly it settles back down. I am wondering if there is a fault with the oven as it was virtually new and unused we don't know if it ever worked properly as we did not buy it.

please please get it checked by qualified gas engineer it can be so dangerous

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
This sounds very much like what we call flame lift for obvious reasons this happens when product of combustion build up due to lack of ventilation or a blocked flue the flame will lift off the burner looking for oxygen this is when the thermo couple will cool and turn the gas off you ned to get the oven looked at and tested bfore you use it again also when this happens you will get a slight smell off the burnt gas and the alchahols in the gas makes your eyes sting hope this helps
Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was going to say its not vented properly, but beaten to it i see

get it checked and another air vent fitted before using it again.

opening the door is allowing the oven to burn the oxygen from the inside of the van. potentially dangerous if the doors and windows are closed. not a good way to check out of this life

OP
OP
Nigel67

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
This sounds very much like what we call flame lift for obvious reasons this happens when product of combustion build up due to lack of ventilation or a blocked flue the flame will lift off the burner looking for oxygen this is when the thermo couple will cool and turn the gas off you ned to get the oven looked at and tested bfore you use it again also when this happens you will get a slight smell off the burnt gas and the alchahols in the gas makes your eyes sting hope this helps
Kev
I know it sounds like a ventilation issue but its in a metal lined cupboard with an 80mm diameter roof vent above and a rectangular 330mm x 120mm fridge type vent right behind it. This is more than enough surely?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
make sure the metal lined cupboard is not obscuring the vent on the oven. sounds silly, but I've seen a few very badly installed ovens and fridges over the years.

in one case the oven was fitted in a stainless steel lined box with no holes top and bottom for airflow. needless to say everything got hot but the oven did not work properly. behind the box was a decent size vent in the wall but no way to get the air through the solid stainless steel.

not saying that this is the case with your install, but it needs checking by a qualified engineer.

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have found these installation instructions and it shows a flue fitted I dont know whether yours has this

OP
OP
Nigel67

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
make sure the metal lined cupboard is not obscuring the vent on the oven. sounds silly, but I've seen a few very badly installed ovens and fridges over the years.

in one case the oven was fitted in a stainless steel lined box with no holes top and bottom for airflow. needless to say everything got hot but the oven did not work properly. behind the box was a decent size vent in the wall but no way to get the air through the solid stainless steel.

not saying that this is the case with your install, but it needs checking by a qualified engineer.

Vents are not blocked, you can see the oven from outside if you look through the square vent. As it appears it was new and unused it makes me wonder if it is a faulty oven maybe. I will have to contact Smev direct.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hope you get this sorted rapido. Worrying situation.

Smev is a strange name for something you put food in. A bit like Smeg...........I wonder if the name ever puts peeps off?? :whatthe:

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Newbie but 25 Years towing.

Why not talk to Smev Dometic? Customer service.
I have one and you need to let it settle down when first lit and leave the door open. Only then when its settled close the door. Also make sure the solid tray in round the right way with the holes to the rear.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

had similar issues with oven on my flash 08 first glass blew out onto floor had new one fitted next time it blew out into my face,luckily i wear glasses so this [i think] saved serious injury
never used oven again till i got rid of it, thought same as you vents etc,this was on a new van
be safe and get it checked:thumb:

OP
OP
Nigel67

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
Well I can only assume that we have a duff oven as we have now run it up out on the workshop bench and it is still playing up. The oven flame at the opposite end to the jet is about 2" high and yellow! With the rest of the flame a nice even blue? Still get occasional flame lift so ventilation in the mh is not the problem. My worry now is that although it was new and unused when we bought the mh we did not buy it so I have no receipt so I assume no warranty either. I will contact smev tomorrow and see if they can help as I don't know what else to do.
Hey ho the joys of motorhoming. :Sad:

adare19

Free Member
Oct 21, 2014
england
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
please post your findings on the flame lift and the large flame at the end of the burner i am interested what the outcome is .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back