Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Had ours done by mobile engineer last year at £95. Dealers charging anything between £120 and £200ish

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I paid £120 for last one... At home NCC and FUN approved engineer.. :thumb:

Ref do it yourself, thats ok if you have an older van but mine was it's first year and needs to have NCC appoval to maintain warranty....

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
£110 for last one.Worth it for peace of mind!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Buy a van off Johns Cross and you will have 5 years free habitation checks.

The tight gits don't give you Funster discount on that though:Angry:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
So ... just what is 'checked' that one cannot check oneself? :Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
So ... just what is 'checked' that one cannot check oneself? :Smile:

nothing if you have the appropriate equipment, damp meter, gas meter, electric multimeter. and know how to use it. :-0

if a warranty is involved it will be void if not carried out as per the warranty instructions. after that you could do it easily if you are a reasonably competent DIY'r:Cool:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I plan to get one done every 2nd year just as a double check to my own checking for damp etc as I feel that you are using the MH all the time so you will see if anything needs fixing as I do not think that they actually service anything !!! maybe wrong.

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
We had ours done at a Chester racecourse meet by Steve Ash a self employed funster who is a registered NCC and charged us £95.00 he checked all appliances as they were still under warrantee.
He gave us a report along with the bill.:cry:

Atlantisbird

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Fair enough if one has the necessary qualifications. Our insurance requires that the gas system is checked by a qualified engineer annually.

Is this common, I have never been asked about anything whether gas related or anything else to do with habitation.

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
I think the habitation check is an excellent tool for any new, or non diy motorhomer as a reference of the vehicle he or she may consider buying.
Too many newbies can be hoodwinked into buying a £10k, £20k, or £30k motorhome that has got even the slightest damp or damage hidden within its walls that can cost thousands to put right. Not to mention being damn right dangerous.
J.C. motorhomes offer the 5 year hab check as standard reglardless if it is costed into the price of the van or not, but it makes sense if you have paid for it, you will get it done. Peace of mind.
For motor home users that have the necessary qualifications to carry out their own hab check I would say good luck, but overall the Hab Check is a yearly check on all your equipment, plumbing, lighting, fixtures and fittings, seals, windows, etc which for £100 + is value for money if at the end of the day may save you thousands if the checks were not there. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is this common, I have never been asked about anything whether gas related or anything else to do with habitation.

No idea if it is common to all (or even many) companies but it is on our policy (Highway, part of LV) as "Caravanette/Motor Home Endorsement" and looks like a standard one for them.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Had ours done a couple of weeks ago at Highbridge Caravans - cost £199. Although the full warranty has expired, the 'water ingress guarantee' is for 5 years, but is conditional on a Chausson approved agent carrying it out. So, although a tad more expensive than others have mentioned, we're quite happy for them to do it.

And in fact, it cost us rather more because they condemned the gas regulator and fitted a new one. Who knows if it was genuinely dangerous, but certainly not worth taking the risk - another reason we have a professional hab check.

Here's a list of what they do in the check:

http://www.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/workshopPriceList.php?Type=Service

Mike

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
Lets be honest, if I was doing my own Hab check would I do all that was on that list or would I jump half of it because "I have not had a problem with that"
The last MH I owned looked as if the previous owner was a DIY er, the modified wiring was amateurish.
I replaced the radio the earth wire from the ariel was attached to the screw in sun visor over the drivers side. The plastic coatin on the visor was between the chassis and the earth wire. --- No Earth
The rear light were not earthed and I drove the van home from York to kent when I used the indicators all the lights flashed could have caused a pile up. I did not realise this untill I got home. --- No Earth
I had a mobile mechanic come sort out the wiring in the engine compartment because there was no power to the fridge when engine running. He added inline fuses and fixed the problem in 10 minutes.
If you dont know what your doing,it pays to get an expert to do it.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Peter, I have to agree, too many cowboys in the industry...

I rang my normal Motorhome Service place (Venture Caravans) and they quoted £155.10. I have no idea why the 10p.:Doh:

As its a lot closer than you, I may go there. Why waste £80 on John Wayne.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I had my first one done by the dealer, £180. I had to take it to his premises, leave it overnight then go back the following day to collect, 40 mile round trip twice. I then found out the dealer was using a mobile engineer to do the checks. I used the mobile guy direct the following year, £110 and he came to me:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Lot's of dealers use mobile engineers a bit like our local garages use mobile leccy guys for cars- they do it day in day out every day so know what they are looking for and have expertese where the garage has limited -- saves both you and them money --90% OF HABITATION CHECK IS THINGS YOU WOULD NOTICE WHEN YOU USE YOUR VAN --the gas checks worth every penny if youare unsure :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fair enough if one has the necessary qualifications. Our insurance requires that the gas system is checked by a qualified engineer annually.

Then change your insurers.. Any insurer that tries to dictate to me how I spend MY money can go and do one .. perhaps you should ask if they are going to do it free for you.. After all, it is THEY who are making the demand.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oh,,, to answer the OP.. Average charged to those not able to carry out the checks seems to be £100..

As a matter of interest, how many who have an annual hab check have their house wiring, plumbing, gas and damp checked ??

If you do not, then why not ???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back