Export Plates out of Germany: Arranging in UK? (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've a wee problem with obtaining export plates for my RMB in Germany.

We intend to fly out one weekend in November and drive back. Saturday and Sunday only.

My dealer says that the registration office is closed at the weekend. So this is a problem.

My question is whether it is possible to source the plates online for delivery to me in the UK beforehand?

I've found one website but the costs are very high and my dealer reckons this is silly. I'm trying to make life easy for myself and the dealer as it's my cost and impacts me if it goes wrong.

I can't take my son out of school for the day and can't book flights until this is sorted.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
If youre buying from a dealer can he not arrange export plates for you.

I am afraid that trying to do it over a weekend is impossible.

Also bear in mind a lot of work places finish at 3.00pm on friday in case this effects you.

It might be better if you fly out there and bringit back by yourself, export plates are the bear minimum insurance, yiu might be able to get some english insurance to cover you on chasisnumber once its yours, however this is also getting harder to arrange.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have generally found that getting registrations sorted with insurance and export plates takes a good half day. You have to stand in line with everyone else and its time consuming to say the least. I have never even thought of getting it done on line, maybe it could be done, but if there is any form of hiccup then you will be in deep poopoo. Personally I would much prefer to see it through myself, checking each stage as I went along.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Thanks! Noted. :thumb:

From what I can gather so far, there's the direct way as Dave describes, but I also gather the plates can be done in advance by the dealer. My dealer doesn't agree, so that's the first confusion.

Online... so after a bit of a search and looking at many other websites discussing this, there's this one. Not cheap, but cheaper than taking a day off work and flying out seperately.

http://www.export-plate.com/sofunktionierts.html

Also, my dealer said another UK chap arranged his own 'transit plates' and the following search showed this option, which seems acceptable but does anyone know for sure? This gives 4 days insurance from collection and full EU insurance. And it 'seems' OK.:helpsos:

http://www.transit-plate.com/

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
You can always say you thought they where on strike that day.

Mel

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
::bigsmile:

Son out of school:

1. School don't allow it.
2. My wife is very strict on not taking him out of school.
3. Taking him out of school means I need to take time off work and that could cost me more.
4. The only feasible day is a Friday and the registration offices generally close early that day.

Anyway, on balance, I've decided that online, depsite the additional cost, is worth the convenience and additional Euros.

The Transit Plate thing is tempting but there's the risk and I don't think it's worth it to save £100. Maybe worth it for others, though. If I was collecting by myself and driving through the night then I'd probably do it.

Back to the specifics, if the dealer were to do it at the registration office, does he need me there in person or just a good copy of my passport? Or does he need my actual passport?

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
when we bought our RMB in May -private sale- the vendor did the plates on a Saturday morning for us. Cant recall what he said was a hassle but despite whatever we had our plates when we arrrived at lunchtime so it can be done
Insurance was very difficult to get. We did the return journey on those plates - 3rd party on the chassis when we landed in Dover. Couldnt get anything substantial organised without HUGE cost.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
::bigsmile:

Son out of school:

1. School don't allow it.

Huh !

Far too many schools are quite happy churning out kids who can't read and write, but ask for a day off and they think they own the kids.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Several UK insurers will insure on the chassis number with an import until you have it registered. Am with Saga and I have done it with them a few times. Adrian Flux has also done it for me. If you have the chassis number and tell them when you are picking it up they will insure from that time. To get the export plates you will have to show insurance cover. No cover...no plates.

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
I bought a Merc Sprinter back in 2001. It was ordered in Germany, and brought across on transport plates.
I pick it up in the uk, with the transport plates still on it, and insured it by the chasis no.
I ran the van for nearly a year, without any real problems, best days ever !
No parking tickets, speeding fines (cameras) or any other cctv related issues.

Only registered it, when a nice police officer, on a bike, politely told me off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bellini
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Interesting....

It seems export plates are that in name really. There's no need for them to be declared in the UK or even once leaving Germany.

I cannot find any difference between those and transit plates other than the interpretation of certain legalities SHOULD you get pulled over. But EU insurance cover is the same and only the duration is different. i.e. transit plates are for 4 days max.

Anyway, must shake this from my mind. I've got to be sensible.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back