Camping Sur Europa, La Linea, Spain (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
We need to visit family in Gibraltar in early December and do not want to cross the border in our camper, especially at a time of such tensions.
The Andalucia Tourism Board has pointed us towards this campsite and family scouts have tried to "sus" the site out but report that they could not find it. I have their location details from their website but wonder if any funsters have themselves spent some time there.
We know from the website that it will be a relatively basic site but this does not concern us as much as knowing that there is adequate security. As we start our fulltiming, the last thing we want is to be targetted whilst we are away from the camper on our Gib visits. (Tensions are high at the moment in the area.)
Thank you.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
We need to visit family in Gibraltar in early December and do not want to cross the border in our camper, especially at a time of such tensions.
The Andalucia Tourism Board has pointed us towards this campsite and family scouts have tried to "sus" the site out but report that they could not find it. I have their location details from their website but wonder if any funsters have themselves spent some time there.
We know from the website that it will be a relatively basic site but this does not concern us as much as knowing that there is adequate security. As we start our fulltiming, the last thing we want is to be targetted whilst we are away from the camper on our Gib visits. (Tensions are high at the moment in the area.)
Thank you.

Stayed at this charming site on 2 occasions couple of years ago, and did a review for another forum which is copied below. Compact site for vans up to 7/8 metres x 3 metres height, bigger could be problem.

This is a small independent camp site..... with a difference, which we used recently for two nights rather than "free park" in nearby La Linea as we had been advised that Local Police were actively moving Mh's on from area near Frontier with Gib. Classed as 3a it is immaculately clean and very well maintained, the pitches are small, all with power supply and Wi-Fi on site is free but truly is only available on pitches nearest admin block or in the small coffee room. Our van is 6.5 metres and anything much larger would struggle to access pitches and even then overhead branches make parking awkward...but do-able. The staff were extremely helpful, but no english spoken. and no MH Service Point. Bus service into La Linea is restricted to a bus every hour...and on occasion it does not turn up !! 50 metres to a gorgeous beach, padel tennis available on site, but that is about it in the immediate, but as we were headed for Gib it was not a problem. Taxi from town 4-5 euros. Site cost about 17 euros inc VAT, per night. So why a campsite with a difference? It is run by a local organisation dedicated to providing training and work placement for mentally/physically handicapped teenagers and adults with a view to them having an independent lifestyle. The site is separate from, but adjacent to, the training facility and there is some noise in the mornings when the trainees arrive for work/training. The site partly finances this work and MHFers might care to assist this work by staying a few nights...the site is charming but with limited facilitiesToilet Rating:Very Good

Regards, Bryan

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Bryan, this is brilliant. Exactly what we need. Many thanks.
Would you say that we could safely leave the camper there whilst we visit Gib?
Will give them a call anyway.
Thanks again.
Best regards
Eric

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Bryan, this is brilliant. Exactly what we need. Many thanks.
Would you say that we could safely leave the camper there whilst we visit Gib?
Will give them a call anyway.
Thanks again.
Best regards
Eric

Site is on the very edge of La Linea and is absolutely secure, fenced and gated with security on site.

Regards, Bryan

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Second that,stayed there and went to La Linea on scooter and walked across to GIB.Our van is 7.5 mtrs. and was do-able with a little shunting,watching the trees but not a problem and an uplifting experience,a little noise from the kids having fun but hey for a night or two was the perfect stop for our needs,go for it.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Second that,stayed there and went to La Linea on scooter and walked across to GIB.Our van is 7.5 mtrs. and was do-able with a little shunting,watching the trees but not a problem and an uplifting experience,a little noise from the kids having fun but hey for a night or two was the perfect stop for our needs,go for it.

Excellent news thanks. We could be using this site frequently if it turns out as good. Personally love the idea of giving these kids a purpose and responsibilities on-site. Perhaps UK campsites could take their lead.

Will report on our experience.

Best regards
Eric

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
At the campsite now.
It is everything as previously advised by other funsters.
Very secure, a tad tight into some pitches but do-able. Some have very low overhanging branches which are to be avoided.
Love the concept of the site being run in association with handicapped society ASANSULL. A nice blueprint for Uk?
Outdoor sports centre is a little noisy but a great watch if you are into sports. Not a problem for me.
Cycling into Gib every day -takes us about 30 minutes to reach the border. Nice ride along beach. Have got stuck once in the over-the-top Border checks (3hours), which is not nice. Okay the other 3times so far. Typical rightwing government action. An inconvenience for Gibraltarians but a lifeline for the local Spaniards who depend on Gib work. (You should have heard the level of abuse and hatred hurled at the Guardia Civil by their own people! It was heartening to know that someone is on our side.)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the update, glad you found the site OK.

Interesting to read your comments regarding the Spanish reaction to the current Guardia Civil actions at the border. It is completely incomprehensible to many Spaniards and ex pats in Spain that the government in Madrid appear to be so uncaring of the plight of the workforce in La Linea, affected by the inevitable cutbacks/layoffs in employment on the Rock. The cutbacks occur because employers in Gib have no guarantee that their employees will be able to turn up on time to begin shifts.

It is true to say that at the time the recent harassment commenced, Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and his (Conservative ) Government were under intense pressure and scrutiny after allegations of malfeasance. Gilbraltar presented itself as an ideal diversionary target to ease the pressure, but the allegations , like Gibraltar, will not go away.

Gibraltar will prevail!

Rant over :roflmto:

Regards, Bryan

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Nice one.
Many thanks for your support. As you say, British Gibraltar will prevail.

One wonders whether solving the Gibraltar issue even in their favour will be what they actually want. We are the typical way of distracting the population from the real everyday issues affecting Spain and if there is no Gibraltar question then there will be no hiding place!

Cheers.
Eric

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I have just been offered a 12 month contract on Gib and am hoping to stay at this site, and commute in to Gib by bike or bus.

Can anyone tell me what the power supply is. Also is there satellite reception, or do the trees get in the way. And is there wifi.

Are dogs allowed? Are there any other sites within 20 minutes drive, as this is the furthest away I am allowed to live.

Is it just the Spanish causing issues at the Border? Maybe I can get a little boat and motor round!

I am very excited, but only heard today, so still a bit dizzy and confused. I have loads of questions
:Smile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile::roflmto::Cool:

Alternatively, does anyone live nearby or on the Rock and have a large garden/driveway and fancy a lodger.:thumb:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We stayed there last year and were virtually on our own (it was February mind). Just a word of caution for anyone wanting to stay for longer periods. I'm sure we were limited to a maximum of 4 nights but having just checked the website I can't see anything about that. You might want to check with them before "committing".

Terry

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I will take a note of this site.thanks a lot folks . safe traveling.:thumb:

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I have just been offered a 12 month contract on Gib and am hoping to stay at this site, and commute in to Gib by bike or bus.

Can anyone tell me what the power supply is. Also is there satellite reception, or do the trees get in the way. And is there wifi.

Are dogs allowed? Are there any other sites within 20 minutes drive, as this is the furthest away I am allowed to live.

Is it just the Spanish causing issues at the Border? Maybe I can get a little boat and motor round!

I am very excited, but only heard today, so still a bit dizzy and confused. I have loads of questions
:Smile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile::roflmto::Cool:

Alternatively, does anyone live nearby or on the Rock and have a large garden/driveway and fancy a lodger.:thumb:

Not sure on the exact power supply details but we had tv and electric double hobs on at the same time withiut issue.
There is wifi on site. It is free but inly available from the reception area which can be noisy in the evenings as the sports centre kicks into action. Reception is middling to good. I would doubt that satellitesignals can get through the trees.
No long termers allowed officially but I think that they are mainly worried about permanent pitching up of gear etc. In quiet times it would probably be okay.
You say you have an Elegance. You will definately have trouble getting into one of their pitches. I have an Aviano which is considesbly shorter than yours and can only get into a handful of pitches after considerable maneuvering. Regrettably, like all things Spanish there has been little attention paid to detail. Eg, the drop down curbs on the pitches only cover a small part of the frontage and you need to be directly in line to make use of it. Of course, with the narrow access to the pitches there isnt a cat-in-hells chance that you will be able to line up properly. Artistic but pointless and obstructional objects further hinder access.
The people however are brilliant and friendly.
I would strongly suggest that before you go into the site that you take a walk and see for yourself.
For Gib, it really is the nearest safe location.
Good luck and hope you enjoy my birthplace!

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Foiled! They don't take dogs. Do you know what La Casita in Roque is like?

Sorry for late reply. Not much internet on our grand tour.

Have not been to La Casita, just passed it on our way to and from La Linea. Looks more "countrified" than Sur Europa but it is out in the sticks a bit. Will be a longer journey into Gib from there though. A motorbike would be okay but if you are working a 12 month contract you will need to travel in winter when the winds can be brutal...

Good luck!

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
You could try Bella Vista near Manilva...... dog friendly and a bus service to Gib from near the entrance. Much further away than Sur Europa but 20+ members had a three week "meet" there in March...... great facilities.

Regards, Bryan

Sorry, tried to delete this post............ having read thread more fully this post is clearly of no use to you whatsoever :Doh::Doh::Doh:

B

Last edited:

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi to you both for the input. I think we will have to stay at La Casita and check out the local area once we are there. We are taking a car with us (driving in convoy) so will be able to get about. I can always drive to the border and park up each day, or be chauffered if Paul wants the car. Hopefully, we will find an apartment or townhouse which has parking for the motorhome and will take the dog if we don't like the campsite, or it gets unbearably hot..

Does anyone know whether we would be able to take the dog in and out of gib if we want to do the shopping etc. Or will it be like moving between Europe and EIUK where she needs a tick tablet each time.

Also random question, are spectacles cheaper in gib than the UK. I need a new pair and don't know whether to hang on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back