admiral halsey

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
autotrail arapahoe
Exp
Hi everyone, my name is Rich (known on several internet forums as Admiral Halsey, after a Paul McCartney song!)

My wife and I have just committed to buying a W reg Fiat 2.8 Auto-trail Arapahoe.

Until today I hadn't driven anything bigger than a 2.0 Ford Sierra! My test drive took me, briefly, onto the M25 (in fierce rain and much spray!), the A's 12+127 and then through Harold Wood. At 27', I have to admit some initial nervousness at taking the wheel. However, it wasn't as scary as I had imagined it would be. Also, the conditions were not such as I would have volunteered to have my first drive in the vehicle, so I feel it was quite a challenge.

We're off to the NEC on Saturday. Hope to get a chance to take the maneuvering opportunity being offered there.

With luck I'll get to take it for a test night away before the year is out. So now the fun begins, kitting it out and planning a trip to France next summer(this has been our big dream for some years now)

AH

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Hello and welcome from a rainy Leicestershire, :thumb: a bit daunting your first drive. I hadn`t driven my new to me MH until I collected her last Saturday, 2 hour drive home, on a mixture of motorways, A roads and country lanes, first sun, then pouring with rain, was confident by the time I reached home, ::bigsmile: really enjoyed it.

Exciting times ahead, enjoy.

Margaret

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to fun

We are having a meet at Waldegraves, Mersea Island in a few weeks time why not join us and come and meet some of the funsters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi AH, welcome to Motorhome Fun, lots of good times ahead read as much as you can on the forum forewarned is forearmed, I could just imagine myself going to the NEC having just bought my first van, would be like Christmas, take care, but good for things like 12v Electric Kettle, adapters , find out about Camping Cheqe and ACSI and maybe French Passion, make a list, but it is amazing what we all end up with that we do not really need.

PS. Best £10 you could spend is the £10 for fun, information and discounts it is invaluable .:welcomefunster:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as long as you remember you are a bit wider than a car and considerably longer then as you have found...nothing to worry about.

i bet you clip a few left hand curbs when turning left though. :RollEyes:[

just remember to swing a little wider when turning left and check your left hand mirror for cyclists....they have an inability to notice indicators and swinging wide gives them the opportunity to sneak up the nearside

OP
OP
A

admiral halsey

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
autotrail arapahoe
Exp
good for things like 12v Electric Kettle, adapters , find out about Camping Cheqe and ACSI and maybe French Passion, make a list, but it is amazing what we all end up with that we do not really need.

QUOTE]

All tips welcomed, thanks

AH

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Welcome to FUN, this is a great site for all advise you might need and as Carol said the £10.00 subscription is well worth the money. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
next thing Rich, is to cross the bosses palm with silver (£10) and become a full member.

believe me, it will be the best tenner you'll spend and will be recouped in help and advise in no time, just one piece of advice to rectify a fault, given for free here, can cost a fortune at a dealers

full members also get a discount at many accessory stores ....Johns Cross Motorhomes, Vanbitz etc.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Hi and welcome to Fun :welcome:
Hope that you get more than one night away before the year is out.
There are very many of us who use our motorhomes all year round. Some of the best times are in the winter months. Sites are quiet.
Nothing nicer than finding somewhere with great views and parking up, put heating on and enjoy. :thumb:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
welcome to the house of fun.we are going to the nec on Friday.so we will not get to see you.but get to a meet asap.you will make some great mates.:thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi AH, welcome to MotorhomeFun.:welcome:
:flyingwelcome:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Welcome and congratulations on your new van we got our first MH about 6 weeks ago a 30 footer ... like you we were worried about getting it on the drive, country lanes, bridges, car parks, traffic, etc etc.

Husband now loves driving it, we have had 5 trips out so far and put 1300 miles on the clock, we have been on all sorts of roads, stayed on different sites at different budgets and wild camped. We have been to kwik fit for a puncture repair and been on a ferry to Arran.

We wanted to practice in the Uk this year to prepare for bigger trips next year. Just take your time, keep your cool, and swing wider / further. We were told that driving a large MH would probably make you a better driver, i think this is very likely to be true.

We also found at the handover there was too much information to take on board all at once especially when you haven't had a MH before, so last week we went back to our dealer and had another induction. Our dealer has been very helpful.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. Do try to video the handover as you will never remember what everything does. Make sure they demonstrate everything and show you every single light working, how to connect to an EHU and how to charge the batteries, check that the gas works and all manuals are present. Identify all switches and taps. Ask how to drain the water down.

Before you buy any extras use the van and ensure you need them. 12v electricity is a limited resource, don't expect to use leccy like at home. Any thing that uses 12v to heat is a no no, so not curling tongs or leccy kettle, that's what the gas is for.

You will soon get the hang of everything any questions ask away, if you need a quick chat try the chatroom people tend not to get there until late but it costs nowt to try.
Drop in and say hello at least.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Many people on here mention videoing hand overs
Wouldn't it be a good Idea in manufactures provided one with a new van :thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Welcome to the funhouse. If you are going to France soon, then a good buy is the All the Aires book from Vicarious Books in Folkestone ( on line and on Amazon). You won't need campsites and will save yourself a fortune. There are lots of aires close to Calais to get your breath back after the first drive on French roads.
Most of all, have fun
Allan

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Hello,
One of the best bits of advice you will see is to spend a night in it at home if possible, with it set up as you would being away. It not only refreshes the handover talk, but also tests and familiarises you with everything and how it works. This time of year, it will also test winter shutdown procedure when you have done it.

The £10 is well spent just for the search feature on here.

OP
OP
A

admiral halsey

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
autotrail arapahoe
Exp
Thanks for the welcome and advice everyone. I can see that this place will be invaluable!

AH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back