LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Am I right in thinking that if you use BT SmartTalk and its connected to the internet via wifi and you have unlimited calls package at home then all the calls you make vis BT SmartTalk will be as if you were using yoru home telephone?
So the same should apply if you used it via FON in France?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Am I right in thinking that if you use BT SmartTalk and its connected to the internet via wifi and you have unlimited calls package at home then all the calls you make vis BT SmartTalk will be as if you were using yoru home telephone?
So the same should apply if you used it via FON in France?
I have no knowledge of any BT packages but using wifi while abroad then Skype gives similar free or low priced calls to anywhere in the world. Does BT offer more than Skype. Interested.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not sure how it works, I think there is a BT app you can download to your smartphone and if calling the uk from abroad your only charge the same as a UK - UK call.
Not sure if this is the same thing your talking about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi ShiftZZ

Yes is the answer.

The App works on your Smartphone and allows you to phone any UK landline, I am not sure about mobile phones, from anywhere in the world when your phone is logged onto Wifi. You will then be charged for the call via your BT bill based on the charges applicable for the call on the basis that it was made from your home phone.

If you are not logged onto Wifi it will work off 3g or 4g as well so costs will possibly be bigger depending on your mobiles Data terms wherever you are.

So apart from any Wifi charges you may have the call will be free if that's what your BT UK Plan says is the cost of the call at that time of day in the UK. So if you have a free Weekends and Evenings plan provided you ring after 7pm UK time or at weekends the call is free. Just remember to stop the call within 1 hour in the evenings and redial.

BT have said that some Wifi sites may not allow the system to work through them.

I see that they are now saying that from January 1 that you can make 60 minutes of calls per month via Wifi within the UK for free. This will be useful to some of those on an Evenings and weekend only Plan.

Finally you can have up to 5 mobiles registered to your BT line so your relatives can use the facility when abroad for example and the costs, if any, of the calls they make will be charged to your account as if they had used your phone. You have to be by your landline to set the mobile phones up on the system as you have to use a code they give you.

Re Skype the person you wish to contact has to be on their computer when you want to contact them or have a Skype phone. Otherwise I think you have to pay some charges. With BT SmartTalk you can ring them and ask them to go on the computer if necessary.

Doug

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Slightly off topic but maybe useful to anyone that has a pay monthly O2 mobile phone.

I use an app by O2 called Tu Go that does the same thing.

Basically, I can make and receive calls on my mobile (or a tablet, laptop or PC) using a WiFi connection instead of the mobile network from anywhere in the world I have a WiFi connection. Calls are charged the same as a call plan which in my case is unlimited so free.

I use this all the time as my signal at home isn't great but I always have a WiFi connection. When I'm away in the van I have a WiFi booster aerial so usually get a descent WiFi connection but often bad phone signal.

It's only available to pay monthly O2 customers at the moment.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Just a slight correction to my earlier comments.

I said that in the absence of Wifi you can still phone as it will use 3g or 4g. I think this is only in the UK.

Doug

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Tis correct i have used this in France this very summer when on wifi. dont think it will be free on 3G though.

did have a bit of trouble getting connected at one location through wifi but could not work out why.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Installed!

Cheers for the reminder!:thumb: