Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
Is Motorhoming as expensive as it looks?

I see many post on here and to very many money seems no object, :whatthe: it certainly is to us. I don't say we are poor but we certainly have to live within our budget.

Any of you have to budget?:thumb:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
we budget

We've just ordered a new MH, it's going to mean tightening belts, but the way we look at it is why hang on to every penny - spend and enjoy now.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
It`s all relative, I drive a Ford ,some drive a BMW.

I own a 15 year old motorhome ,some own a £80k new Motorhome.

we all spend what we need/want to our own individual requirements.

I spend a lot on big campsites because I like entertainment /bars ect --some like to camp in a field.

Horses for courses:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We are struggling OAP`s...:Sad:

Don't matter what you drive,,,,, It`s the fun you have in what ever you drive... :thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
there are funsters from all sorts of backgrounds with vastly differing incomes

and the lovely thing about fun is no matter how old your motorhome or how empty the wallet, everyone is welcomed and treated the same

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I certainly don't spend as much as some, but use the van a lot. Dont use expensive campsites as I prefer to be on a beach. I work within the same budget I always have, and that is, if I can afford it, I have it or do it. If I cant I do without.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
ooh I didnt really answer your question Is motorhoming expensive.

Its as expensive or as cheap as you make it.

We have saved a fortune. We now have more holidays, jump in the motorhome every chance we get and do not pay extortionate prices for holidays in high season.

We think motorhoming is excellent value and a great way to meet people and to enjoy holidays.

We no longer have the hassle of hotels being overbooked or dirty rooms, anything dirty in our motorhome is down those using it and ours has a very comfortable bed

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I work sometimes 6 days a week and drive about 900 miles a week going away and using the motorhome is priceless you only have to spend as much as you can afford allways shop about for accesories stay away from the big place at gunthorpe :ROFLMAO:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

I see many post on here and to very many money seems no object, :whatthe: it certainly is to us. I don't say we are poor but we certainly have to live within our budget.

Some mhs seem to think money is no object when it comes to spending on vans, as I have been shot down on on here many times for mentioning, just because you have loads of money I just can't see why you have to throw it away .
I have had to work hard and long for the bit I have got so still save every penny I can on my mh, why anyone wants to spend maybe £50 a night on campsites when you could have b&b for the same money just defeats me, just because you have got it doesn't mean you have got to throw it away, you can go to meets for about a fiver and meet like minded people or in France aires are brilliant for free, soon pay your ferry back.
I am probably rambling a bit but the mist of it is you can have wonderful times without breaking the bank if you just weigh it all up before throwing money at it.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Some mhs seem to think money is no object when it comes to spending on vans, as I have been shot down on on here many times for mentioning, just because you have loads of money I just can't see why you have to throw it away .
I have had to work hard and long for the bit I have got so still save every penny I can on my mh, why anyone wants to spend maybe £50 a night on campsites when you could have b&b for the same money just defeats me, just because you have got it doesn't mean you have got to throw it away, you can go to meets for about a fiver and meet like minded people or in France aires are brilliant for free, soon pay your ferry back.
I am probably rambling a bit but the mist of it is you can have wonderful times without breaking the bank if you just weigh it all up before throwing money at it.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I don't see why it bothers you what others do???

What has it got to do with you how I or anyone else spends their money?

We spend what we want/ can doing what we want to do, and I don't plan on asking for yours or anyone else's permission to do so for Christs sake.

On the general topic I think everyone has a budget and if you stick to it great,

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Its only expensive if its parked outside the house and you don't use it!

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
It is pretty straight forward stuff, the prices of MHs are fairly predictable. There are old, fairly old, fairly new and new. The price of diesel is predictable. That leaves very few variables. If you wild camp your overnight costs nothing, if you go on a camp site it costs £15 per night. If you want a posh lunch it costs you £20 minimum, if you make butties it is virtually free. If you want to be in the South of Spain one week and Dubrovnik the next you will spend a lot of money on fuel. We have 12 weeks summer holiday each year and we keep costs to a minimum. We have 3 winter holidays in the Canary Islands and we stay in watching telly.

People think we are tight, I merely think we have decided how we want to spend our money. I would never dream of trying to persuade anyone that we do it right and they do it wrong. It is their choice.

Having spent a great many years paying mortgages, office rents and alimony it is so nice to be retired and the government sends me a cheque every four weeks. I ought to send them a thank you letter. I am so grateful. I am very very happily married for the third time but I encourage rich widows to watch this space.... Just kidding.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Well for a start I am on a budget, until last year I had a Volvo estate,a 740 diesel estate, I wanted a small motorhome to visit family and friends further away and stay over, also holidays, I don`t like hotels etc, like to do my own thing, have a dog so she is my concern, MH is brilliant, I have now gone for one bigger to be more comfortable in,especially in inclement weather, it is a 2003 so not new, I prefer the older ones more solidly built, have wood in them for a start,

My insurance is cheaper than my car was, the road tax is a lot cheaper, as for fuel I got 37-40`s per gallon, most I got from the Volvo was 33mpg.

So I am well chuffed.you don`t have to spend a fortune, I have gone from tents, small ridge tent on bikes and a trailer with a baby in it, ( built for the job )bungalow tents, caravans, now MH know which I prefer. New is not always better, depends on what you want to do, there is room for everyone, whether small, big, old or new, at the end of the day it is the fun element that is the most important, as long as you have a bed, somewhere to wash and a loo, cooker some form of heating/light, what more can you want, then the world is your oyster. Enjoy. :thumb:

Margaret

ps. Don`t go out for meals, if ounless it is fish and chips from the chippie, out for most of the day just glad to have a meal in the mh and relax.

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I keep close tabs on my MH's running costs and have a pretty good idea of what I'm budgeting for each month. Our household income has been through some downward changes in recent years so we've adjusted the spending to match. There's a lot of things we'd manage without before we even considered selling the van - it's too a big personal priority for us. We tend to holiday on the cheap compared to many and aren't fussed about using aires and the like to save money, but as others have said it's horses for courses.

Chubs

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Romsey
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
If we did not buy new Motorhomes you could not buy secondhand Motorhomes

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Who wants to stay in a B&B when you have your home comforts in a motorhome. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Between us, we worked for 80 years before we could afford our current motorhome. Expensive? yes, worth it? you bet!
But this isn't our first. Our first van in 1987 ( a 2 berth VW, 1973 vintage) cost us less than £2k, the next was a Ford CI Motorhome Mk2, for about £3k, then, our second VW, in 1994, a 1978 4 berth cost us £2300 and we kept it 10 years without it costing us a penny in repairs.
I guess you buy what you can afford.
Allan

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
I thought motorhoming and camping was for everyone! Whatever their budget, I am getting a bit fed up with the money moaners:Angry: my husband and I took risks when we didn't have any money, we worked really hard building a business up from nothing, we have employed a lot of people over the years. Still do! Whilst doing all this we have paid a fortune in taxes and raised 4 kids who are also hard working and paying taxes themselves, so please stop the **itching I thought this was motorhome fun.

Cruises and posh hotels don't really do it for me because although I have a nice MH I like the simple things in life too like cooking, a deserted beach, playing with my grandkids, swimming, walking in my flip flops. The best things in life are totally free (at least when you get there!) What I really want now is just some peace and quiet no grief, no phones and a large red wine!

There are fabulous places to stay in the Uk and you dont have to travel far from anywhere to find them as others have said before it can be as cheap or expensive as you make it and a great time can be had in a tent in a field.

Rant over !

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I thought motorhoming and camping was for everyone! Whatever their budget, I am getting a bit fed up with the money moaners:Angry: my husband and I took risks when we didn't have any money, we worked really hard building a business up from nothing, we have employed a lot of people over the years. Still do! Whilst doing all this we have paid a fortune in taxes and raised 4 kids who are also hard working and paying taxes themselves, so please stop the **itching I thought this was motorhome fun.

Cruises and posh hotels don't really do it for me because although I have a nice MH I like the simple things in life too like cooking, a deserted beach, playing with my grandkids, swimming, walking in my flip flops. The best things in life are totally free (at least when you get there!) What I really want now is just some peace and quiet no grief, no phones and a large red wine!

There are fabulous places to stay in the Uk and you dont have to travel far from anywhere to find them as others have said before it can be as cheap or expensive as you make it and a great time can be had in a tent in a field.

Rant over !
I'm trying to figure out what the two missing letters might be in **itching.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's

well met the billthedrill family we are defo on a budget went bus three years ago so skint
if your good with your hand's you can fulfil your dreams on vertualy nothing just got a none runner will re fit engine after rebuild this week and have a good bus it dusent mater wat you drive the adventurer is the same in a £90k van or one at $1500 the view is the same out of the window
so just get something with MOt get out there now is the time with winter cumin on there is sum good cheep vans out there
and you will find the mileage is usually low i had a 30yo van with only 49000 on the clock
regards bill

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

It's what you make it....... We retired early have military pensions and get by on a budget and enjoy MH lots. We moved to Spain and go away in MH when we feel like it. We don't eat out ( why have a gas hob if your not going to use it ), we drink a little laugh a lot......... and we take our two cats everywhere.......... Perfect.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Spend as much or as little as you need to. 3 weeks in France or Germany usually costs us around a thousand pounds and that includes traveling from Northern Ireland.....one of the most expensive twenty miles of sea to cross. Our motorhome is now 5 years old yet still is new to us. Other folks we know have bought 4 new vans in as many years! Money not important __just enjoy.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

Why are you so uptight about what other people do with THEIR money? After all, its really none of your business what people decide to do with their own money. No-one really needs to have their spending policed and pronounced upon by you :Eeek: sorry to sound harsh, but there have been a spate of these threads poking at people who dare to spend their money on expensive motorhomes and kit, and really, it is no-ones business other than the individuals buying the MH or paying for campsites. Leave others alone and fight the fires on your own doorstep instead. :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That's it then, not bothered how much anyone spends, I'm talking value for money , just because you have a lot is no reason to throw it away that's all.
So won't bother trying to save you any money anymore, but if you want to chuck it about, try sending some of it my way::bigsmile:::bigsmile::Eeek::Eeek::thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's it then, not bothered how much anyone spends, I'm talking value for money , just because you have a lot is no reason to throw it away that's all.
So won't bother trying to save you any money anymore, but if you want to chuck it about, try sending some of it my way::bigsmile:::bigsmile::Eeek::Eeek::thumb:

I think you just make assumptions that people don't work to a budget. Most people do, I certainly do.

I visit Shrewsbury quite often and if it's only for one night I take the car because it works out cheaper to use a Travel Inn than diesel and site costs with the van.

But if you are talking summer holidays I will pay more than £50 a night for a nice site on the beach in Spain or the South of France..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back