Would you have a Halogen or an electric oven? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, one of the compromises with our new Hobby motorhome is that it does not have an oven. We have never used the oven a lot, but on the rare occasions we want say - a Fray Bentos Pie, it would be good to have a small oven we can stick in the garage and use in the Kampa awning.

We are unsure which to buy, a Halogen or one of those little electric oven/grill. Can anyone give us their opinion.

Thanks

Ginny and Mike

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had the same problem with my imported RMB. I got a Kampa Roastmaster gas oven and hob and fitted into the garage with its own gas bottle. Got it from Johns Cross with funster discount. A great bit of kit which I use more than the hob inside the van. I also have a halogen oven for when on hookup, takes no room up and I can cook a whole chicken in it.

Attachments

• Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 004.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Roastmaster oven 002.jpg
    Roastmaster oven 002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 49

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Hi, one of the compromises with our new Hobby motorhome is that it does not have an oven. We have never used the oven a lot, but on the rare occasions we want say - a Fray Bentos Pie, it would be good to have a small oven we can stick in the garage and use in the Kampa awning.

We are unsure which to buy, a Halogen or one of those little electric oven/grill. Can anyone give us their opinion.

Thanks

Ginny and Mike

We've got one of the mini oven grills (£29.99 from Aldi) and we use it both at home and in the van for grilling bacon etc. It doesn't take up much space, doesn't generate a lot of cooking smell and saves using the bottled gas.

Never used a Halogen oven so can't comment on those but they appear to be a lot bigger.

jools66

Free Member
Jul 5, 2011
Fulltime Devon/Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
FT since 04/12
Hi
We have an Blue Diamond Halogen oven.

Must say it cooks things very evenly, seals meat all round and keeps it juicy (fantastic pork crackling this week ::bigsmile:) and makes great roast spuds! Gets plenty of use and saves gas when we are on EHU :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I will be cooking a duck in our Halogen oven this weekend:thumb: great results nice and crispy.

Rob

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
I've got a halogen oven - brilliant bit of kit. Quick and does a really good job.

Hi next year we will be spending most of the time in the motorhome and was interested in what make and type of Halogen you have or could recommend,we like otheres will use it in the Awning,on this forum we asked for advise on the Awnings and Kampa was the winner my concern is that as the Awning will be used and stay up for a considerable time I was leaning towards a more robust materiel
Any thoughts anyone,thanks in advance

Bill

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I enjoy a FB pie at home from time to time, Dave, but never felt the urge to take one in the van ::bigsmile:

The only possible god thing I can think of for a FB pie is that the tin makes a half decent dog water bowl for a very small dog :ROFLMAO:.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have a halogen in the van and another indoors.. Woman loves them !

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Hi next year we will be spending most of the time in the motorhome and was interested in what make and type of Halogen you have or could recommend,we like otheres will use it in the Awning,on this forum we asked for advise on the Awnings and Kampa was the winner my concern is that as the Awning will be used and stay up for a considerable time I was leaning towards a more robust materiel

Bill

We bought our halogen oven from a Robert Dyas shop . Brand is Nuo . Link Removed .

Used it a few times in the MH with no problems . I should think you will be ok using one of these ovens in the awning , providing it is on a strong and level supporting table , as they are quite heavy .... Be doubly sure and stay beside the thing when its in use ....... Wear sunglasses as well , because by they are damned bright when in use .::bigsmile:

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
Halogen Oven

Hello Ginny

Although I told you I wasn't keen on the halogen oven, I've changed my mind. We have been using ours a lot. You can cook anything you would cook in ordinary oven. Leg of lamb on Sunday was delicious.

Taking the top off the thing and putting it on the flimsy stand was a bit awkward at first, but we sorted this by strapping a tray onto a small fold up stool (the one we had off you). The stand sits on that.

When we have to replace it we would definitely pay the extra and get one with a hinged lid.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hello Ginny

Although I told you I wasn't keen on the halogen oven, I've changed my mind. We have been using ours a lot. You can cook anything you would cook in ordinary oven. Leg of lamb on Sunday was delicious.

Taking the top off the thing and putting it on the flimsy stand was a bit awkward at first, but we sorted this by strapping a tray onto a small fold up stool (the one we had off you). The stand sits on that.

When we have to replace it we would definitely pay the extra and get one with a hinged lid.

Ok you are officially off our Christmas list now! Sunshine, warm weather, Bonterra Park, Chinese food and roast lamb for Sunday lunch!

You are so cruel and we don't want to hear from you again until it rains:RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Ginny and Mike

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Bill

Hi Bill we have a kampa and it stays up for three months with no problems. It stands up very well to strong winds and has been fine when Safari rooms have been damaged.

Ginny

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We bought one yonks ago, and Alison soon fell out with it. It's a bit like living on the balcony of North Stack Lighthouse. Every so many seconds, this HUGE light comes on. People outside navigate to the loos on dark nights using it! Closing the blinds makes it look from outside like you just detonated a thermo-nuclear device in the privacy of your MH.

Apart from that, it does do a nice roast.......

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Hi Bill we have a kampa and it stays up for three months with no problems. It stands up very well to strong winds and has been fine when Safari rooms have been damaged.

Ginny
Hi they seem to be very popular I was at my local Dealer who has the Kampa up and on display and it looked the business. I told him that we would be using it on prolonged stays and his only concern was strong winds and advised us to take it down. what he did suggest was the Dorema Challenger this has the steel poles and the standard awning matt,i have been going to this dealer for over 20 years and he has not steered me wrong the Dorema costs more,its a quandary

Bill:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back