Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Right, I need some help.

I was thinking of getting a Berger Picard, but having seen three it was decided that they were unsuitable - just too big.

So what can I have?

Looking for a medium sized dog, not a show dog, nothing that is pretty, I like sort of ugly scruffy dogs. Low maintanance, likes to travel, likes water, will chill out, not a run of the mill dog, something with character.

Any suggestions?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Labradors are great companion dogs. Good size, very intelligent and trainable, love water, walks and retrieving and are generally sociable. Very loyal and if your not feeling very active today will curl up at your feet snoring for hours on end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hang on till you retire from motorhoming...

I would love one, bit awkward for us and Paul getting tripped up..

But you like your freedom, so think of your trips abroad and "Pet Passport" and what goes with travelling with a dog..

Plenty of time for a dog when you give up, and just want to go for a little walk with your zimmer frame... :winky:::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having had several dogs and being brought up around dogs, my mother being a breeder and show judge, the best dogs I have ever had were Staffys. They are full of character, intelligent, are happy to lounge around doing nothing or go out for a walk, family faithful, not to big, dont moult much, great company, the ones I had, loved nothing better than riding round all day in a vehicle. Get from a good, recognised breeder, preferably in the Midlands, around Walsall. I know they have a bad name but its the owners, not the dogs that need training.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't think you can claim any benefit money for having a dog these days.

I believe you used to be able to but some people moaned and groaned and got all upset over this handout that it was stopped.

Never mind.

JJ :Cool:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I start as a volunteer with the RSPCA in Leeds tomorrow and they are full of staffies. Why do people do it? :Sad:

Ivy

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
trying to place photo which usually fails

Attachments

• 17 vinny.jpg
    17 vinny.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 54
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Right, I need some help.

I was thinking of getting a Berger Picard, but having seen three it was decided that they were unsuitable - just too big.

So what can I have?

Looking for a medium sized dog, not a show dog, nothing that is pretty, I like sort of ugly scruffy dogs. Low maintanance, likes to travel, likes water, will chill out, not a run of the mill dog, something with character.

Any suggestions?
One that didn't molt. Short haired dogs can be a real pain. Hair on everything you touch.:cry:Having said that I would go for a staff, great pets.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I start as a volunteer with the RSPCA in Leeds tomorrow and they are full of staffies. Why do people do it? :Sad:

Ivy

Kids have them as an accessory. They think its a macho thing and then find out that they have to be fed. No money left for drugs.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
We have had a tour of Battersea and its tragic, over half the dogs in there that we saw were staffy's or Staffy crosses some of them had lovely temperments and some not, the results of the low lifes who either dumped them of had them taken off them by the police.

Dave

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Cairn Terrier, doesn't shed hair, great character, good companion and doesn't take up too much room!

I would post a picture if I knew how!

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
We have had our lab Poppy for nearly two years now. She walks, runs, swims and lies and snores almost as required. A loving and brilliant companion who took to MH travel like a duck to water. Norway, Denmark, Spain, Portugal and France (many times) have all been taken in her stride. Passport and vet have not been a problem and we would not be without her now.
So I would say go for it now and enjoy it.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Having had several dogs and being brought up around dogs, my mother being a breeder and show judge, the best dogs I have ever had were Staffys. They are full of character, intelligent, are happy to lounge around doing nothing or go out for a walk, family faithful, not to big, dont moult much, great company, the ones I had, loved nothing better than riding round all day in a vehicle. Get from a good, recognised breeder, preferably in the Midlands, around Walsall. I know they have a bad name but its the owners, not the dogs that need training.

Dave, the Staffys they have to muzzled in France.....I am 99.9%....I have always had dogs all my life... labs....and rough collies.....BUT I don't like to see a dog muzzled even though it is for the best...or it a law because of what may have happened in the pass with certain breeds...I see it not nice for the dog...and as Dave (shiffty ) comes to France a lot:Doh: maybe not the best breed for him....I would go for the many Terries breeds...like, Lakeland .Cairn...Border...these would be more of a twin to Shiffty...or even a Jack russel :thumb::thumb:

We have chocolate labs...and I swear by labs....a great breed...Chocolate / Black or Yellow..but they may be a little bit big in Shiffties M/home

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have had our lab Poppy for nearly two years now. She walks, runs, swims and lies and snores almost as required. A loving and brilliant companion who took to MH travel like a duck to water. Norway, Denmark, Spain, Portugal and France (many times) have all been taken in her stride. Passport and vet have not been a problem and we would not be without her now.
So I would say go for it now and enjoy it.

+1 for Labs. I'd always go for GSD's but they are too big for many. The Lab would be a great compromise for me. Proper dogs. ::bigsmile: Years ago I had some experience with training labs to detect mines, they were superb dogs, very intelligent, lots of fun. A couple of chocolate ones I remember were super intelligent.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having seen one of these miniature Pinschers a couple of years ago I fell in love with them. If I was thinking of another dog one of these would be ideal in a motorhome.
n.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_Pinscher

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
How about a spanish water dog? Seems about the right size and temperament. My old lab died last week and as said previously a brilliant dog although a bit big in our PVC.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Border Terrier of course . Hardy , fit loyal dogs. Our two have only been to the vets for their yearly jabs. Ones 5 the other is nearly 16. Great dogs.

Can just picture shiftzzzy wearing a string vest and back to front baseball hat walking a staffy in one of those leather studded harness leads! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Border Terrier of course . Hardy , fit loyal dogs. Our two have only been to the vets for their yearly jabs. Ones 5 the other is nearly 16. Great dogs.

Can just picture shiftzzzy wearing a string vest and back to front baseball hat walking a staffy in one of those leather studded harness leads! :ROFLMAO:

Oi

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
how about just visit the rescue centres and give a poor mut a good home. You need not have a breed in mind, just see which you fall for. A set price will be charged for vaccinations and chipping etc, and thats it. it will have had social tests and such to make sure it isnt nasty, and they will advice you on general habits, and feeding etc.:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have two Cocker Spaniels, Benji and Millie, love em but always leave them with the family when we travel :thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 25

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Well I think he would look quite becoming ::bigsmile:. Especially if he was wearing the leather studded harness thing, maybe it would help MrsShift train him better.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Visit your local rescue centre & have the one that looks at you with love in it's eyes - I'm sure you wouldn't be able to resist :Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Whatever dog you choose make sure that it can actually travel with you.

There are plenty of sites now that have restriction on which dogs they allow on site. Some dont allow German Shepherds and Labradors, some dont allow staffys.

Consider where the dog will sleep and how much room they will have to move around. Perhaps a smaller dog like a bichon frise that doesnt molt may be more suitable for motorhome travel if you are touring long term. Hairs get everywhere

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Flat coat retriever, Holly is the one on the left of my sig picture, the big lad on the right is ben who is a lab (american strain or field strain as they have long legs and not fat)

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have yellow Labrador and a Beagle/harrier cross. Travel everywhere with them and I would recommend both. The Beagle ( Jeremy) is a bit of a celebrity in France, everyone wants to fuss him and he is respected because they are bred for hunting in France ( French and their food!)
The Lab is just such a nice gentle dog, loves people and other dogs and takes everything in her stride.
Will eat for England though, so don't leave food about!
Allan

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back