Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
anyone using a towball fitting bike rack, as in clamps onto the actual ball. The Autotrail doesn't have a bike rack fitted and I prefer it like this, plus I don't want to start drilling etc - but do want to take the bikes, 2 total.

Any photos of yours fitted would be a benefit and what type/make have you - security? recommendations?

Thanks,

Trikeman. :winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used to have one made by Whitter. Unfortunately I have only recently given it away. It was a clamp that fitted between the towball and a pole fitted into this with a 2 bike rack on the top. I got it off the bay and it was very good. Not expensive either.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi don't think I have any photos handy in detail.

I use a Thule one and its ace. I have a swan neck towball and a swift towbar fitted. I find that clamped on it doesn't move at all. It is locked to the towing frame using a heavy duty lock.
I then re-designed a Fiama bike rack cover so it basically goes upside down on the bikes ensuring that they are covered from any road grime.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
I bought one of these earlier this year

Link Removed

I had been searching ebay etc, but when they came up, they always made really good money.
The one I bought was very impressive, nice and strong, very secure.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
I use one to carry an old bakers bike to rallies. The bike is quite heavy. The rack is easy to put on, just hook over tow ball and screw on with spanner. works fine. The rack is made by thule . I do have a pic somewhere so if nobody else comes up with the same I will endeavour :Doh: to work out how to get it up on here :Smile: If all else fails i will put it in my album i can manage that:thumb:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I bought the Thule one that fits onto the towball while in Spain, only used it once and it's in the garage now. Don't really need it so I could do with selling it, may put it on this site under accessories.

Mike

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I bought the Thule one that fits onto the towball while in Spain, only used it once and it's in the garage now. Don't really need it so I could do with selling it, may put it on this site under accessories.

Mike

Hi, would have been interested in yours - however, Market Rasen is a little far to pick up - bummers.:Angry:

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I purchased from The Roof Box Company a German product -Altera Strada E-bike towball carrier.Sold as a top quality product I was happy with it until last week here in Spain I noticed cracks near the welding on the framework.Only 4 months old and carrying the correct weight ! The testing of the product probably does not take in to account the constant springing/bouncing/flexing/squeaking as the only support is from the towball during driving which must vary the weight and causing metal fatigue.I have had to bolt metal strips to the faulty section to take the strain.I will complain on our return in December.
Therefore we think it is a good idea ,often seen on cars,but this is a problem you should bear in mind.I have also had to increase the towball height as it would have been a problem on ramps/ferries.

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
We have the Thule rack which fits onto the tow bar and it is excellent:thumb: We bought the three bike version and have bought an extra rail for a fourth bike (we both have road and hybrid bikes and sometimes carry them all) :Eeek:

Haven't got any photos but will take some tomorrow if you can wait til then. Assuming I can upload them!! :Confused:

We have a motorcycle cover which will cover all four bikes. Will let you know name of that tomorrow as well.:Smile:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
many thanks for getting back with the advice and recommendations - some research on the cards here. I have read/heard some good things about the Thule brand. Just spent some time (ebay etc etc and John's Cross) all good stuff and most appear to fit my needs - we only need two bikes.

Keep them coming...... to the point of my total confusion.:roflmto:

Thanks,

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
ok pic now on my album please read comment tho as i had only just borrowed the rack off someone and wanted to show my hubby what it was like:Smile:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
ok pic now on my album please read comment tho as i had only just borrowed the rack off someone and wanted to show my hubby what it was like:Smile:

Wow - what a bike on that rack.

Great shot of the rack (as I was trying to imagine) but couldn't help looking at the bike - that's brilliant.:thumb:

I wanted a basket (I like to 'try' to take my staffy with me) tried to put a sort of converted basket on my mountain bike and plonked my dog in. It was hideous, he went mad as soon as I got going, barking his head off and jumping about, tried strangling himself and I had to pedal back with this lunatic going nuts..... needless to say that was the last basket attempt - I then bought a trailer and attached that to my road bike, then,,,,, and that's another story but we both ended up on our side.:roflmto: Mad, I tells ya!

Thanks again Hilary.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Thought afterwards you prob would have liked a close up of the actual fitting but cant help on that i am afraid. Poor staffy bet he cringes when you get the bike out:Eeek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Janet

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
20 years
Hi All,
anyone using a towball fitting bike rack, as in clamps onto the actual ball. The Autotrail doesn't have a bike rack fitted and I prefer it like this, plus I don't want to start drilling etc - but do want to take the bikes, 2 total.

Any photos of yours fitted would be a benefit and what type/make have you - security? recommendations?

Thanks,

I have purchased a Thule towball rack. The rack is for 2 electric bikes and is suitable up to 60kilo. Cannot fault it.
Janet :thumb:

Attachments

• new bike rack002.jpg
    new bike rack002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi All,

Thanks,

Before you do anything try to get a view of the Thule range, they must surely be the best type ball fitting out there...not cheap but in this life you only get what you pay for:Cool:

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Pics of Thule bike rack as promised. The cover we use is Stormex from Oxford. It's actually a motorbike cover but works pretty well.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Hope this is useful:thumb:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Cycle rack - tow ball fitting

I use a Thule rack, bought from Halfords two years ago at £120.

Have traveled throughout Europe with rack fitted to Ford Mondeo. Travelled at up to 85mph on the right roads with absolutely no problems.

I carry two bikes on mine. One is an electric bike and is, therefore, heavy at 24 kilos. The other is a road bike at 10.5 kilos.

Have sold my car and caravan to return to motor caravanning after an absence of eight years and will transfer thebike rack to the tow bar on my motorhome.

I suggest you check with Halfords if they have a promotion coming up on bike racks. Mine was purchased at £35 off.

Good Luck.

Maison

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I purchased from The Roof Box Company a German product -Altera Strada E-bike towball carrier.Sold as a top quality product I was happy with it until last week here in Spain I noticed cracks near the welding on the framework.Only 4 months old and carrying the correct weight ! The testing of the product probably does not take in to account the constant springing/bouncing/flexing/squeaking as the only support is from the towball during driving which must vary the weight and causing metal fatigue.I have had to bolt metal strips to the faulty section to take the strain.I will complain on our return in December.
Therefore we think it is a good idea ,often seen on cars,but this is a problem you should bear in mind.I have also had to increase the towball height as it would have been a problem on ramps/ferries.

I also bought one of these racks to carry our two electric bikes when travelling in M/H, our bikes weigh about 45KG without batteries, but I have not had any problems so far, I did make up a small bracket which bolted around the top rail and to the existing Fiamma lower fixing point, just to stop the movements if possible, please update with any further developments to your problem.
When I bought my rack, it was advertised as with UK spec lights, but mine only had a fog lamp on the N/S, not legal in this country, upon contacting the company, (Roof Box), I was told, Yes it is illegal, but don't worry about it !! , we have sold loads of them.
I told them I was not happy, in no uncertain terms, and eventually they agreed to send me some lights off another rack which had 2 foglamps, so I fitted them , all legal now.:thumb:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
:thanks2:
A thousand thanks to all, and especially to the ones who took the time to get the photos - fantastic.

We have made up our minds and we think we shall be going for the Thule twin bike one. The place we talked to earlier said the base can also take the large 'roof' type box which will make taking optional kit when we are not taking bikes.

Again, many thanks for your help.:thumb:

Regards,

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
If it is the 949 easybase you are going for there are loads on ebay showing the box etc . Unfortunately I don't think john cross stocks Thule products.:Sad:

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Have just purchased a Thule 916 from Amazon for £262.12 inc delivery which from all my hunting around is a steal. :thumb: 2 left for anyone interested.

Johns Cross fitting a towbar for us so should be all systems go soon.
(just got to buy the E-bikes now!:Doh:)

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
update

That price obviously was a steal, just refreshed the Amazon page and the 2 left are now £359.46:Eeek: that was a pretty quick price rise!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back