2.8jtd engine, gearbox 2005 clutch. (1 Viewer)

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
hi members, could any member please advise if there is any clutch adjustment on a 2.8jtd engine 2005 model, i read somewhere that if you stamp on the clutch pedal fast and down to the bottom of its travel the clutch will adjust autamatically, i have tried this but it didnt adjust ..
my symptoms are.
clutch bites and drives ok until i put very light pressure on clutch pedal then the clutch starts to slip, there is no free play on the clutch pedal .so the pedal is at the top of its travel when clutch fully bites..
thank you in anticipation of your replies.. cheers bill..:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
buffallobill

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
thank you pappajohn for your reply, that is one pricey piece of cable. i see he as sold 4 of them :Eeek:, that is over £1000 for 4 cables , must be gold plated..:whatthe::whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
It is hydraulic self adjusting so new clutch needed I'm afraid

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Bad news - you need a clutch

Good news - its' pre 2006, so a dry clutch as opposed to DMF. £260 area for the kit.

OP
OP
buffallobill

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
thank you members for your replies. we have just purchased the motorhome 16 days ago and spent the last week touring scotland to get used to the usage of everything, how do i stand with the dealer we purchased the motorhome off. as the clutch does not slip (yet) when fully out ..ithe mileage is 12000 not a lot of miles for the clutch to go faulty and slip i would have thought , thats why i thought there would be adjustment, but like fellow members have advised it is hydraulic self adjusting. will speak to dealer tommorrow, just wondering how i stood if new clutch is needed....:Sad::Sad:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Did you get a 6 month guarentee with the vehicle.

Some dealers provide a 6 month insurance type scheme when they sell their vehicles.

If so the paperwork should provide details of what is covered.

Clutch's can be one of those "disputed" areas like batteries, tyres etc.

But it has to be worth following up.

OP
OP
buffallobill

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
Did you get a 6 month guarentee with the vehicle.

Some dealers provide a 6 month insurance type scheme when they sell their vehicles.

If so the paperwork should provide details of what is covered.

Clutch's can be one of those "disputed" areas like batteries, tyres etc.

But it has to be worth following up.

yes he did give us a booklet explaining the warranty, it is with an insurance company. the booklet says it covers mechanical breakdown of, centre plate, pressure plate, release bearing, oil contamination, (centre plate only) master and slave cylinders (excluding general wear and tear).
will a slipping clutch come under general wear and tear.
thank you for your reply will talk to dealer tommorrow with warranty booklet in hand..

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just had a thought as to why it needs replacing so soon....

was it the 2.8 JTD with reverse judder ?

one early suggested solution was rev the nuts off the engine while slipping the clutch....that would certainly wear the clutch in no time.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
just had a thought as to why it needs replacing so soon....

was it the 2.8 JTD with reverse judder ?

one early suggested solution was rev the nuts off the engine while slipping the clutch....that would certainly wear the clutch in no time.

I think this is a 2005 model which is before the judder problem was identified, I think.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
yes he did give us a booklet explaining the warranty, it is with an insurance company. the booklet says it covers mechanical breakdown of, centre plate, pressure plate, release bearing, oil contamination, (centre plate only) master and slave cylinders (excluding general wear and tear).
will a slipping clutch come under general wear and tear.
thank you for your reply will talk to dealer tommorrow with warranty booklet in hand..

'Mechanical Breakdown', as opposed to 'Wear and Tear' you can drive a bus through that gap. Lets say you were driving along, you heard a big bang, and lost all drive because the centre plate had disintegrated, (fortunately a very rare occurrence these days), or the release bearing had shattered, that's 'mechanical breakdown'. Slip is wear and tear, however, twelve days is too short a time for the dealer to get out of his fair trade obligations.
See what he says. If the argument is getting heavy, suggest that as you have only had the vehicle for a short time, you MAY be prepared to meet him half way, say he pays for the labour, and you the parts...............
Try this. Get the engine warm, select third gear, handbrake hard on, build up the revs to about 2500, then let off the clutch. It should stall at once. If it runs on, then a new clutch is definite. Some clutches with plenty left on, particularity those hydraulicly operated, can still only 'bite' at the top.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I first noticed mine slipping on the motorway. I was in fifth gear and put my foot down to the floor to overtake and the revs rose significantly before settling down.
After 12 days I would demand it being repaired by the dealer. I think it is fair to say "not fit for purpose".
Very sorry that you have this problem so soon after getting the vehicle. I hope it gets sorted quickly and you can get back to enjoying your van. :thumb:

OP
OP
buffallobill

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
update took the van back to dealer, he got the garage they use for mot etc to come and test the clutch, the diagnoses is clutch not slipping, the biting point at the top is because it is hydraulic,
the dealer is being very good about the problem and as noted my concern, so we will see how we go,
thank you to you all for the replies to queery,
cheers bill.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back