Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Has anyone done this drive and if so.......is it over the top or through a tunnel..

thanks

barry:Smile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Through the tunnel. BUSBY::bigsmile: Good road.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There are 2 routes you can take, the main one is N134 via Oloron and the somport tunnel.

The other goes over the top.. !! Great scenery..

Depends on time of year, get weather forecast nearer the time if its anywhere near winter...
Even with the tunnel at certain times it's compulsory to carry snow chains..
For both Pau and Oloron, follow truck routes as town centers are a pain..

pic is over the top end of March 2013.. Road were all clear, no issues BUT lots of snow.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• SAM_0772.jpg
    SAM_0772.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Please be advised that the Somport Tunnel routes is a pretty tough route and depending on which BHP engine you have and how you feel about pushing that engine, you may wish to consider whether or not you wish to do this route.
Many people will tell you, quite correctly, what a beautiful route it is but unfortunatly, few seem to emphasize just how steep it is!
I was down to about 40mph with my engine screeming and it wasn't quite as relaxing as I would have liked.
Granted that mines a fairly heavy rig on a jap pick up but even so, my standard 171bhp engine is chipped to approx 200bhp and she had to work dammed hard.

Lovelly route but I wouldn't do it again with this rig, rather go to Biaritz and then across.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Zaskar..
Admitted with your rig maybe but a standard van, really no issues..
Mine is running around 4100kg (rated at 4250), Fiat on a 2.3 engine 130bhp..
Have done the route 4 times in 2013 and many times before this... There are a few slower stretches but all managable.. A few narrower bends as to get near the tunnel on the French side, note that 40t artics use this route so most of it is good road.

As you say if anyone is in doubt or the weather is poor stick to the main route via Biaritz and Irun...

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Please be advised that the Somport Tunnel routes is a pretty tough route and depending on which BHP engine you have and how you feel about pushing that engine, you may wish to consider whether or not you wish to do this route.
Many people will tell you, quite correctly, what a beautiful route it is but unfortunatly, few seem to emphasize just how steep it is!
I was down to about 40mph with my engine screeming and it wasn't quite as relaxing as I would have liked.
Granted that mines a fairly heavy rig on a jap pick up but even so, my standard 171bhp engine is chipped to approx 200bhp and she had to work dammed hard.

Lovelly route but I wouldn't do it again with this rig, rather go to Biaritz and then across.

Not telling you how to drive but you dont have to thrash engine, just ease off the throttle and go slower. Mine is down to 25 mph coming north from MILLAU, SAME AS A LOT OF LOADED TRUCKS. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
25? Blimey! I thought I was being soft as everything else in sight seemed to be hurtling passed us!:Doh:
Might take it a bit easier if I go again :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back