Help please - Buying first / new Satelite system advice required (1 Viewer)

Stevewheels

Free Member
Aug 25, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
Renault master Lwb hi top
Exp
New
Hi I am at the end of my Renault master disabled conversion (main conversion completed by Coachbuilt Uk. one of the last jigsaw pieces is having a satellite system completed.
I plan on using it in UK and Europe and want my home comforts of sky tv.
As the NEC show is on next week I am hoping for a great deal but would like to go armed with an idea what system I require. budget is approx. £1200 - 2000. maybe a little more for the right system.

All advice welcome

cheers
Stevewheels

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Yes its Oyster for me ,i think mine is an 850mm. spot on lol. What ever you get enjoy.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
"Oyster".. 85cm dish.. (I think)...

But be prepared not to be any good in the far south of Spain..

Not sure how they perform now I believe they have moved or swopped sat... :RollEyes:

PS... Welcome to fun..

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
where has the first post gone, if it was an advert why not just delete the thread as it makes no sense. Weird it has now reappeared, right then I would always go for a manual tune system no electric needed to setup and no hunting when they turn off a transponder. A manual only takes minutes or less to align once you understand how.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Hi I am at the end of my Renault master disabled conversion (main conversion completed by Coachbuilt Uk. one of the last jigsaw pieces is having a satellite system completed.
As the NEC show is on next week I am hoping for a great deal but would like to go armed with an idea what system I require. budget is approx. £1200 - 2000. maybe a little more for the right system.

All advice welcome

cheers
Stevewheels
Get the dish with tripod simple set up and works perfect abroad oh and in costs £200.00 with box, or spend your £1,500.00 and whats the difference

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Or buy a fully automatic system so that you can pull up, flick a switch and watch TV in seconds.

Or, more fun on a cold evening, in the rain, in the dark, watching people with gloves on, holding a torch in their mouths, trying to put a tripod together to slot their dish on so they can hook up their sat finders to set their system up.

Come on everyone, the chap is budgeting for a fully automatic system and is asking which one, not how cheap he can do it :RollEyes: I wouldn't have a manual system if you gave me one, and we stopped selling them years ago when we realised just how frustrated the "majority" of our customers get using them. That is not to say that some people get on fine with them, it's just that some don't!

I often will stop in Aires and overnight in Services Lay By's en route, and the ability to flick a switch, put the kettle on and watch the news before turning in is one I enjoy. I am too lazy to pull up, 10 O'clock at night and go out and set up a tripod and a dish just to watch some TV to relax before turning in. Not only that by the time I had been back out in the cold and dark (possibly even raining) to put my dish away to avoid it being nicked, I would be wide awake again :roflmto: Only to have to go back out in my JimJams the following morning to set the tripod back up to put the news back on whilst we have our breakfast!

My advice having sold most makes over the years (bearing in mind that Van Bitz started in 1990 before satellite systems for mobile use existed) would be Oyster if you want a dish and KVH if you want a dome.

As for Europe? France is feasible, Spain and Italy no, those days have gone:Sad: Also just to let the OP know and to remind others. Sky are not legally allowed to broadcast into Europe so if you make them aware that you are viewing abroad, they will instantly close your account, and many struggle to get the service re-activated when they return to the UK:Eeek:

Eddie

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I was actually thinking of a wind up and manual align on the roof of the van, quick and easy to tune and not suffering like so many automatic systems over the past week.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I was actually thinking of a wind up and manual align on the roof of the van, quick and easy to tune and not suffering like so many automatic systems over the past week.

Good point, I was referring to Baileys post re Tripods :winky:

Eddie

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Or buy a fully automatic system so that you can pull up, flick a switch and watch TV in seconds.

Or, more fun on a cold evening, in the rain, in the dark, watching people with gloves on, holding a torch in their mouths, trying to put a tripod together to slot their dish on so they can hook up their sat finders to set their system up.

Come on everyone, the chap is budgeting for a fully automatic system and is asking which one, not how cheap he can do it :RollEyes: I wouldn't have a manual system if you gave me one, and we stopped selling them years ago when we realised just how frustrated the "majority" of our customers get using them. That is not to say that some people get on fine with them, it's just that some don't!

I often will stop in Aires and overnight in Services Lay By's en route, and the ability to flick a switch, put the kettle on and watch the news before turning in is one I enjoy. I am too lazy to pull up, 10 O'clock at night and go out and set up a tripod and a dish just to watch some TV to relax before turning in. Not only that by the time I had been back out in the cold and dark (possibly even raining) to put my dish away to avoid it being nicked, I would be wide awake again :roflmto: Only to have to go back out in my JimJams the following morning to set the tripod back up to put the news back on whilst we have our breakfast!

My advice having sold most makes over the years (bearing in mind that Van Bitz started in 1990 before satellite systems for mobile use existed) would be Oyster if you want a dish and KVH if you want a dome.

As for Europe? France is feasible, Spain and Italy no, those days have gone:Sad: Also just to let the OP know and to remind others. Sky are not legally allowed to broadcast into Europe so if you make them aware that you are viewing abroad, they will instantly close your account, and many struggle to get the service re-activated when they return to the UK:Eeek:

Eddie
What an ar,,se tell me the difference at least with a tripod you can move it for the signal what happens with the dome on the roof when you are on the wrong pitch, and if you get you jollys by watching others trying to get a signal then that explains what your like

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp

Eddie
It's obvious that you have a interest in these systems why most sites now have piped tv to the pitches and as we are all digital you can pick up all stations with a normal Ariel I'm at a loss if you tour the continent and your priority is coronation street

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp

Eddie
And as you say it's brill watching an outfit on a pitch with a dome or dish on the roof who can't get a signal. Because of where they are. And you say to yourself how much did they pay

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Are your ideas coming one at a time then?

Most sites have piped TV No they don't

DVB-T is great if you want to camp in towns and Cities but poor to non existent in the Highlands, Dartmoor, Exmoor, The lakes, The Black mountains.

Also you cant get Sky on DVB-T which is what the OP actually said.

And no one actually mentioned Coronation Street, but if some one did enjoy that so be it.

The OP asked a question and I answered it and stayed on topic

Eddie

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Are your ideas coming one at a time then?

Most sites have piped TV No they don't

DVB-T is great if you want to camp in towns and Cities but poor to non existent in the Highlands, Dartmoor, Exmoor, The lakes, The Black mountains.

Also you cant get Sky on DVB-T which is what the OP actually said.

And no one actually mentioned Coronation Street, but if some one did enjoy that so be it.

The OP asked a question and I answered it and stayed on topic

Eddie
You go all around Europe and your priority is tv my case rests if your still selling these systems, you should retire soon my point is that in a matter of a few minutes. You can set up a tripod system with half a brain. But let's face it it's not on your interest.

Matter

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You go all around Europe and your priority is tv my case rests if your still selling these systems, you should retire soon my point is that in a matter of a few minutes. You can set up a tripod system with half a brain. But let's face it it's not on your interest.

Matter

Way too young to retire. You do like putting words into peoples posts :roflmto: "My priority it TV?" Sorry your mixing me up with another member.

So my Company sell satellite systems, so what? The OP was asking a question about buying one. That would I think make me eminently qualified to offer an opinion having sold thousands of them, and have a working knowledge of pretty much everyone that has been or is currently on the market.

Your posts are very acerbic. "Anyone with half a brain!" Well not every one can cope with a manual system, not everyone wants to cope to some a couple of thousand pounds is small change, or perhaps others don't smoke or drink so like to buy "toys" for their motorhomes. I know for a fact that many people do enjoy watching Coronation Street & Eastenders, but I am not arrogant enough to think that because of that their somehow sad.

Many disabled people enjoy their motorhomes, and their TV and wouldn't be able to cope with anything other than a fully automatic system.

Yes I am a trader, lets face it there is a massive great notice at the bottom of my posts so it is hardly as if I am trying to hide the fact that I sell satellite systems, so no great issue as far as I am concerned.

Eddie

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And as you say it's brill watching an outfit on a pitch with a dome or dish on the roof who can't get a signal. Because of where they are. And you say to yourself how much did they pay

and where did Eddie say this ?

certainly not in the post you keep quoting.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Way too young to retire. You do like putting words into peoples posts :roflmto: "My priority it TV?" Sorry your mixing me up with another member.

So my Company sell satellite systems, so what? The OP was asking a question about buying one. That would I think make me eminently qualified to offer an opinion having sold thousands of them, and have a working knowledge of pretty much everyone that has been or is currently on the market.

Your posts are very acerbic. "Anyone with half a brain!" Well not every one can cope with a manual system, not everyone wants to cope to some a couple of thousand pounds is small change, or perhaps others don't smoke or drink so like to buy "toys" for their motorhomes. I know for a fact that many people do enjoy watching Coronation Street & Eastenders, but I am not arrogant enough to think that because of that their somehow sad.

Many disabled people enjoy their motorhomes, and their TV and wouldn't be able to cope with anything other than a fully automatic system.

Yes I am a trader, lets face it there is a massive great notice at the bottom of my posts so it is hardly as if I am trying to hide the fact that I sell satellite systems, so no great issue as far as I am concerned.

Eddie
Your now playing the disability card dear ,dear the amount of sites in Scotland with tv at the pitch are increasing year on year but you don't want to hear that. Also tell me the difference beetween a Manuel on the roof as a posed to on the ground. What I would say is that if I were to get a auto system I would not be contacting you with your grand slamming. Technology has moved on with internet and tv systems perhaps you should.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
To some of us less able persons TV is what stops us going mad, in Europe and at home. People can spend whatever they feel comfortable with, its their money. Different systems suit different people. We each have the right to choose how we spend our money or not as the case may be.
Eddie would not sell anything that people did not want, its as simple as that.
We don't all eat out or spend every night in the bar, we are all different:thumb::thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Your now playing the disability card dear ,dear the amount of sites in Scotland with tv at the pitch are increasing year on year but you don't want to hear that. Also tell me the difference beetween a Manuel on the roof as a posed to on the ground. What I would say is that if I were to get a auto system I would not be contacting you with your grand slamming. Technology has moved on with internet and tv systems perhaps you should.

Now then girls put those handbags away. BUSBY:roflmto:

Dijon

Free Member
Nov 13, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
4 years
I want to know what Manuel is doing on the roof !!!!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Your now playing the disability card dear ,dear
No, just stating facts.

the amount of sites in Scotland with tv at the pitch are increasing year on year but you don't want to hear that.
make your mind up, you posted hat most sites have piped TV, however, the OP wants SKY:Doh: which as I have already pointed out you don't get on FreeView

Also tell me the difference beetween a Manuel on the roof as a posed to on the ground
you don't have to go into the wind and rain to set up the one on the roof, and you don't have to pack it all away I drive

What I would say is that if I were to get a auto system I would not be contacting you with your grand slamming.
finally something that you have said that is factually correct and I agree with :thanks2:

Technology has moved on with internet and tv systems perhaps you should.
we have been installing mobile broadband systems into Motorhomes for about ten years now. If you think for one minute that the infrastructure is in place anywhere in Europe for WiFi to suddenly replace satellite TV on campsites your about to have a shock.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well, I couldn't imagine life without Coronation Street :Cool:. I did have issues with my old Oyster so made a self seeking solar tracker with it. The newer digital one does seem to be better though and have had a signal over most of Europe with it. I am slowly warming to the Oyster, but if ever it lets me down when Coronation Street is on, then its gona be another tracker :thumb:.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
No, just stating facts.

make your mind up, you posted hat most sites have piped TV, however, the OP wants SKY:Doh: which as I have already pointed out you don't get on FreeView

you don't have to go into the wind and rain to set up the one on the roof, and you don't have to pack it all away I drive

finally something that you have said that is factually correct and I agree with :thanks2:

we have been installing mobile broadband systems into Motorhomes for about ten years now. If you think for one minute that the infrastructure is in place anywhere in Europe for WiFi to suddenly replace satellite TV on campsites your about to have a shock.
The points I'm making are 1. It only takes 2 or 3 min to set up a tripod
2. I can move the dish to get the signal you have to move the outfit
3. The amount of threads on here complain that they don't get a signal when abroad with a dome
4. If you fit a dish to the roof pray there's no wind the stress that must place on the roof mut be terrible and could cause damage
5. I can understand its in your interest to put people of buying a tripod setup, but don't put folk of because you can't set them up
6. I disagree about the technology on sites we now have wifi and when there is redevelopment the first thing they do is tv install and the cost per month for sky subscription for what the odd film that's 5 year old or sports, when we all changed to digital this made a big difference to sites who then fitted boosters, when I'm touring I can pick up most channels on freeview with my Ariel without using the dish, and in a lot of cases just plug in the coax at the post

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you want a debate about manual v automatic fine, start a thread and debate it.

This post is about he OP stating that he is visiting the NEC show, to buy a satellite system, with a budget of £1200 -£2000 and ("maybe more for the right system") because he wants to watch SKY whilst away in his van.

You have made incorrect assertions about me, and my business, been patronising about disabled people, suggested that people that chose to have a automatic system are stupid as "you only need half a brain" to use a manual system and belittled people that enjoy "the soaps"

Making facetious remarks, to points raised, doesn't deter from the point made.

And why? Because the man wants a different system to that, that you have decided on for whatever reason:Doh: I'd remind you that this is Motorhome FUN

If your happy with DVB-T great, it's a free world, whether you get it from a post on a campsite, or via a antenna, but the OP as I have already reminded you wants SKY.

By the way I own a campsite as well, one that last year, out of 2800 sites inspected in 13 countries was awarded 1st runner up in the Best Motorhome site" by the Alan Rogers Guide/site review publishers. We do have free WiFi which I assure you could not cope with everyone switching to getting their entertainment from Film on and their ilk.

Nor do we have any "posts" that you can plug into to get SKY TV

Being different is what makes us FUN

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Oyster 85cm auto dish for me. Have only once or twice had to move because of trees or obstructions and then it was only a few feet. When selecting a position on a pitch, or when given the option of pitches, it is one of my considerations to take into account "can I get sat coverage". I agree with Eddie, if you can afford it then a fully auto system, in my opinion, is the way to go. Push a button, sit back and relax.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Oyster 85cm auto dish for me. Have only once or twice had to move because of trees or obstructions and then it was only a few feet. When selecting a position on a pitch, or when given the option of pitches, it is one of my considerations to take into account "can I get sat coverage". I agree with Eddie, if you can afford it then a fully auto system, in my opinion, is the way to go. Push a button, sit back and relax.
I totally agree if you have the money and you want to push a button fine. My point was you don't have to there is a choice I can set up my tripod and dish in a matter of minutes. I can also understand the reasons that the other member is pushing the systems he sells and installs them. But his point that it's hard to set up and you also have to wear gloves (is that a health& safety thing) is ridiculous The only plus side to the all bollocks system is you can watch the telly a tad quicker And as you have stated you have to think of where you pitch to get a signal I find the hole set up a breeze. And I responded to this thread to give the chap a more cost effective method for getting sky, and not to listen a sales pitch that it's a must have item when you sit down and think of it there are more pros for getting the tripod system for reasons I have given if someone can come on and explain that the auto system has more pros apart from speed of set up then tell me

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
We'll my wife has gone out for the day and left me to do the washing up:Angry:
If only someone could invent a machine that would do it for me instead of standing here for half an hour with a pair of rubber gloves on and a silly apron, I for one would buy one:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

All advice welcome

cheers
Stevewheels

I'd ignore the suggestions that you buy a tripod mounted dish for a number of reasons, Firstly, they are fiddly to put up, you say you have had a disabled conversion. I don't know the extent of your disability if any but securing the tripod can be a pain, weights on hard standing, pegs on grass etc, and that's all before running cables into the van and tuning it in:Doh: if you are in a chair, this will all prove difficult. Also, storage of the tripod in smaller conversions can be an issue. So you are right to go with a roof system.

There are a number of systems, you'll see plenty at the show. I would say that EddieVanBitz who's contributed to this thread knows more than most, and he offers subscribing Funsters a 10% discount, he's at the show so do pay him a visit.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back