Do You Use Your MH in Winter Conditions? (1 Viewer)

Are you a Rough and Tough Winter Camper?

• Yes! I am descended from the Eskimos!No way

Votes: 93 92.1%
  • No way! Its bad for my joints you know!

Votes: 8 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Out of interest, how many Funsters use their Motorhome all year round in Northern European Winter conditions?
NOT SPANISH OR MOROCCAN WINTER CONDITIONS!!!!!!!::bigsmile:

Please ignore the `No way` after option one! Smartphone typo!!!!!!

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Yes but mainly just UK / local weekend rally meets..

Our van is not classed as "winterised" but we drain it down and carry seperate water in a container... 2 years back at Shrewsbury it went to -18c.... Had heating on all night and snuggled down..Lovely:winky: I think the drinking at the xmas party also helped..

ps,, I cant answer your question as it is bad for me joint BUT I still do it....

Attachments

• Photo0006.jpg
    Photo0006.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Yes every other weekend we go off whatever the weather.

It is nice on a commercial large sites with hook up and facilities to use, these sites are cheap in winter:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Wouldn't go off in snow or if it was threatened, but just cold weather is fine. Have only been down as low as -6 mind you!

Catherine

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

We use our van whatever the weather. We spent last winter on a seasonal pitch in Norfolk and were absolutely fine, especially using the electric heating, despite it being -10 outside sometimes.

Each to his own I suppose but I can't understand why anyone would spend a fortune on a van then only use it when the weather is okay.

Paul

PS Just realised my profile pic says it all!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We always had problems finding sites open during the winter, but nowadays, ....

1) We have found a few good uns

2) If we canna find one there is plenty of room in Thetford forest for us !!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ours tends to get used anytime but summer with our commitments in the Faroes. As Viennese has said I wouldn't travel in snow but if it happens when

we're there that's fine, walk the dog, heating on :dm:, kindle and tv, what more could you want, oh yes a stash of wine under the bench. :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we use the van as a static all year round on a daily basis drained down and bottled water in the winter no EHU. We also manage a few day trips campering to keep things turning and the odd weekend away. No real problems gas heater keeps the van cosy.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
We are newbys hoping to use our MH all winter ... as long as we can get out of the drive and its not too snowy and icy. We have bought 2 winter tyres on wheels for driving wheels (going to keep one in the back as a spare wheel) and are keeping everything warm by having heating on low with gas available as a standby, we have been assured that all coolants are in the systems and have read on other threads that we should leave the waste open and a bucket underneath. Oh and we have heater switched on for water tank.

Have funsters got any other good tips ...apart from paying attention to weather forecasts?

We would also like to see the northern lights but i am thinking in terms of Galloways dark skys park or maybe higher if Aurora watch are indicating increased activity.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The trouble with both the big Club sites in Thetford Forest is that they are miles away from Thetford Forest!!!!!
Try Little Lodge Farm CL for the proper Thetford experience!:thumb:

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Saw 2013 in the middle of a field, no electric, no facilities except what I had in the van! It was brilliant - snow and all. Yes it was cold, but was warm and snug in the van.

I can't imagine not being out and about in the van regardless of weather! I've been home this past month and I'm now begining to suffer from cabin fever! Think I will take off tonight and just sleep out because I can! ::bigsmile:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We use it all yr round :thumb: only in UK nice and cosy, should use it more it's a lot cheaper than heating the house :Smile:
Terry

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We are newbys hoping to use our MH all winter ... as long as we can get out of the drive and its not too snowy and icy. We have bought 2 winter tyres on wheels for driving wheels (going to keep one in the back as a spare wheel) and are keeping everything warm by having heating on low with gas available as a standby, we have been assured that all coolants are in the systems and have read on other threads that we should leave the waste open and a bucket underneath. Oh and we have heater switched on for water tank.

Have funsters got any other good tips ...apart from paying attention to weather forecasts?

We would also like to see the northern lights but i am thinking in terms of Galloways dark skys park or maybe higher if Aurora watch are indicating increased activity.

Check out Bill the Drill`s winter campers thread for tips!
I reckon your Elegance has a double floor though, do you need that bucket for grey waste?:whatthe:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
It does have a double floor so maybe the bucket should have a christmas tree in it and winter pansies! :Doh:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The trouble with both the big Club sites in Thetford Forest is that they are miles away from Thetford Forest!!!!!
Try Little Lodge Farm CL for the proper Thetford experience!:thumb:

Er, there was a gate at the end of the C&CC Thetford Forest site leading to......forest! :Smile: Apparently Thetford Forest is the largest lowland pine forest in the UK, maybe we were just staying near a different part of it.

Paul

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Er, there was a gate at the end of the C&CC Thetford Forest site leading to......forest! :Smile: Apparently Thetford Forest is the largest lowland pine forest in the UK, maybe we were just staying near a different part of it.

Paul

I suppose us locals tend to class Thetford Forest proper as being the area around Brandon and High Lodge.
That is where all the best mountain bike routes are! Not to mention the concerts and the kids stuff!
I agree though the plantations do sparwl out into the countryside a long way.:Smile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
yes John as you know we are all year campering type as long as you can make a wet and keep warm no problem ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All weather motorhomers here :thumb:. I dont even drain down now.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
All weather motorhomers here :thumb:. I dont even drain down now.

Neither do I! Though I do keep my grey waste tank tap open as the tank is outside the van. Am thinking of insulating it though! Everything else is inside with warm air pipes running past them!

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
No Choice but to use it all year round as we live in our's , who needs to head off to hotter climates the heat / sun isn't good for you anyway.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Although we don't get awqay as often as we'd like, or for as long as we'd like we do use the camper all year round. Unfortunately our space heater appears to be allergic to cold weather, a couple of years ago during that bad winter we were staying at Ludlow with Gaz and it dropped to -17 overnight, without heating it dropped to -8 inside the camper and even the olive oil in the kitchen cupboard froze! Not an experience we're looking to try again.

D.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My wife and I regulary go away in the depths of winter,we like to challenge. When we were young and tent camping we used to take a small hike tent out in the mountains,especially in snow.
My birthday is after New Year and so is my wife's,this year we decided to go away in the van, The ulterior motive was to test the insulation and heating in it, It was the sunniest and mildest week ever,didn't even need to use the heater!

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
If we are in the UK during the winter months we give our van a run out every 3 or 4 weeks. We usually head off to Windsor Great Park or to the River Thames at Runnymede. Both venues are ideal for a brisk walk before a lunch of hot soup and crusty rolls. We will probably have covered 20-30 miles on our day out, just enough to make sure all is well with the van.

Brisey.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Use ours most weekends even over the winter in the North of Scotland unless snowed in the drive biggest problem is finding sites open after mid Oct
But heating on nice and warm

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We always had problems finding sites open during the winter, but nowadays, ....

1) We have found a few good uns

2) If we canna find one there is plenty of room in Thetford forest for us !!

PLENTY OPEN IN SPAIN. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
No Choice but to use it all year round as we live in our's , who needs to head off to hotter climates the heat / sun isn't good for you anyway.

Speak for youself, THE SUN IS GOOD FOR ME! Eases my arthritis hell of a lot and beer tastes better in hot weather.BUSBY::bigsmile:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
We use ours in the winter, don't go far from Seville, temperature during the day about 20c but of a night it can get down to + 5c but we manage quite well. :ROFLMAO:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Speak for youself, THE SUN IS GOOD FOR ME! Eases my arthritis hell of a lot and beer tastes better in hot weather.BUSBY::bigsmile:

It took me three years to convince the other half that holiday's in Tenerife were not needed, I can't stand the heat (may be cause I'm ginger gone bald) don't think I have arthritis but I do have a bad back but heat never helped, as for beer well that tastes good anywhere

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back