Free Member
Oct 29, 2011
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2010
Since buying our Swift motorhome 3 years ago, I was always concerned that our holidays were dependent on the electronic control panel (N183). 11 days into our holiday in Germany this year it died, but fired up again a few hours later, but was troublesome for the last 3 days. What I would like to know is, would it be feasible to connect the lights and pump direct to the battery in an emergency, or would there be a consequence?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not a sparky but Short answer yes but I would put a fuse and switch in line.I would make it so that the wiring remains all wired inti the panel and switch kills power to panel to/from battery/powering your lights, pump etc, if you get my meaning. Not sure if it would affect your panel electronics but cannot see why it should after all you would in effect simply be disconnecting from your panel
Terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I don't know that particular panel. It could be it shut down because the batteries were discharged beyand a certain level in which case running direct from the battery could kill it or at least do permanant damage. Have you a solar panel, how long were you parked up, what was the actual state of battery charge. IF it is actually a faulty panel and not a case of it trying to protect you, then and only then you could run direct from the batteries using an either/or change over switch (double pole with fuses).

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I don't know that particular panel. It could be it shut down because the batteries were discharged beyand a certain level in which case running direct from the battery could kill it or at least do permanant damage. Have you a solar panel, how long were you parked up, what was the actual state of battery charge. IF it is actually a faulty panel and not a case of it trying to protect you, then and only then you could run direct from the batteries using an either/or change over switch (double pole with fuses).

Pretty sure Roger that the panel has it's own back up power source and is not effected in any way from the batteries being discharged when out campering.

Im sure there would be no issue with doing what the OP wants to do, but why not just carry a whale water pump that you may use to get water in the tank anyway? couple this with a 12v light and you can get through most sittuations.

if you wanted too you could get a spare control panel, the only issue is that when out campering, it wont be the control panel that goes, it will be something else!!!!

bill harris

Free Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
Control panel

Hi just for info if the panel is faulty a company called Apuljack engineering will check and repair all nord Electronica equipment and are very helpfull and cost effective
Hope this helps the op and others
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

Trevsplace

Free Member
Oct 29, 2011
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2010
Batteries are ok, but my feeling is that a faulty pump is tripping the panel, is this possible?

OP
OP
T

Trevsplace

Free Member
Oct 29, 2011
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2010
panl failure

Panel tends to trip when the pump is running, but I know electrical problems can often be misleading.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back