Trading in - opinion of dealer (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We are seriously thinking of trading in our Autocruise Stardream for a Autotrail Savannah and have seen one that is of interest to us at Don Ammott near Derby. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) of this dealer? Many thanks.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
He is a dealer, so only believe 10% of what you are told by a salesman who quite possibly knows less about motorhomes than you do. Salesmen are just that, salesmen. They could have been selling double glazing last week and are trained to close a deal. Be prepared to fight tooth and nail for everything you want as if you dont you will only get what the salesman wants you to have, not what you want. Best of luck :thumb:.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
consider the trade in offer. You may find you would sell yours for a higher price privately

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Sales.. - They did me a fantastic deal on a new van...

After sales - Total crap, the word communication just does not exist with them..

Others may have had better experiences... Luckily as mine was new, Autotrail resolved the issues at the factory...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nine times out of ten you will get a better deal by not part exchanging.

There are a few of advantages though. You don’t have to go through the time, effort and hassle of selling privately< viewings, timewasters conmen etc as well as being motorhome-less for a while.

By Part ex'ing you avoid completely some significant pitfalls and post-sale headaches. Also once you have purchased, you drive the old motorhome to collect the new one, swap all the contents from old to new and you are ready to go. What could be easier? So you might have paid a bit more more, but part ex is easy right?

Well it might be. It’s a case of doing your homework, how much is the dealer offering, how much more, if any, could you gain from a private sale, then decide if it’s worth the hassle, only you can decide that.

When part exchanging always be aware of the cost of change This is the difference between the price of the new motorhome and the value of your trade-in this is the amount you will have to pay. And if you are on HP, never be foolish enough to think a deal is OK just because the monthly payments are the same! It happens!!!!

When part-exing the dealer might appear to be giving you what you want. If he thinks your emphasis is on a higher price for your part exchange they might overvalue it and use this as a reason not to haggle on the new motorhome. Similarly, if he thinks you are only interested in getting the price down on the new vehicle he may drop the price on both, the new motorhome and the price he will pay you for your old motorhome.

Part ex is OK but...You MUST know what both vehicles are worth or you just won’t know if you are getting duped. NEVER EVER negotiate without knowing that. It’s worth remembering throughout that it’s the dealer’s/ salesperson’s job to extract as much money from you as possible. Motorhome salespeople are almost always working on a commission sales basis. Most see you only as a pay cheque.

We are generally conditioned into thinking that used car/motorhome sales people are sleaze balls and we are initially wary of them. However, suddenly we are confronted with this really nice guy or girl that is on our side, wanting to get the best deal for us. This coupled with the excitement that buying a new motorhome generates can fool us into making silly decisions. Of course not all sales people want to rip us off, a few enlightened ones understand the importance of repeat custom but you should be aware that unfortunately the vast majority of sales-people look upon you as a victim rather than a customer. Link Removed:Smile:

Best of luck with your negotiation:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I really do think that the manufacturers should employ mystery shoppers,to ensure that their dealers are selling their products correctly, Also they should take models in with various faults to check if they are providing a service to their standards,why rely on consumer TV to do it?
Or are the manufacturers just want to 'push tin'?

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
don ammott

We are seriously thinking of trading in our Autocruise Stardream for a Autotrail Savannah and have seen one that is of interest to us at Don Ammott near Derby. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) of this dealer? Many thanks.
my advice to you is steer well clear over two years ago I bought my mororhome off him spent a lot of money putting it right but is now in excellent condition no thanks to ammot. no back up from him or communication once hes got your money he doesn't want to know not a very nice man.regards steve

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Aftersales is the key, as others have already pointed out. You can get a cracking deal, but if the aftersales are poor - then you would happily have paid more and got a good, no hassle service.

In fact many moons ago, a car dealer friend of mine (now passed on) used to charge around £1000 more than the the market price for his cars. His USP was that the cars were spotless - absolutely spotless (valeters spent a week cleaning every nut and bolt - contract valeters avoided him due to the work involved) and also his aftersales was absolutely impeccable. The customers were treated very well, and everything and anything they needed was done.

He was very successful, and very busy - which proves that people will pay for quality.....someone that has been lost over recent years.

Aftersales is king! Always consider how you are treated, how bothered they are and so on. What is easier nowadays is Internet - search for reviews, check with trading standards etc!

It sounds like from above comments, those with experience were not all happy ones!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As for Don Amott. Please take a look at our Trader Review site. They have been reviewed quite a few times:thumb: Broken Link Removed

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I dont trust many dealers as they have little knowledge of Campering around either the UK or the continent,

But all dealers have a job to do and thats make money. They have something that most of us want whcih is why most go there.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The problem with reviews from other people on websites is that you never know if they select the best ones and leave the bad ones out, or put all of them in.
I went to a local dealer after reading reviews of how helpful and friendly they were. People stated they travelled miles to use this dealer and they really sounded like the best dealers in the world.
We visited their showroom and display yard, and I must say, the vans were valeted to a very high standard. We had to go and check the reg number on a few because we thought some were brand new.
Sadly, it all finished there. We tried to engage the staff in conversation, looked at new vans in the showroom, used vans in the yard, every question we had, meant a search around for someone to ask, who didn't know the answer. Everything seemed like too much trouble. A shame really, because we would have bought a van there and then if we had any confidence in the staff.
So, we went to another local dealer. Within minutes of being there, we had a member of staff talking to us who then left us alone to look in the vans. Everytime we looked at another van, there was a member of staff nearby.
In the end, we bought a new van from them, got a great deal and felt that we were valued customers.
We have been back a couple of times and always treated very well, nothing, it seems is too much trouble. Good old fashioned service from pleasant knowledgeable people.

Good luck in your search.
Allan

francour

Free Member
Mar 13, 2012
Pontefract
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
part exchange

Hi I bought a new camper from don amotts some time ago spent 32000 grand after sales useless letters to m.d no reply would not deal with them ever or any other dealer only buy private

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
We bought our current van from Don Amotts, although we live miles away on the south coast we travelled up because they had the van we were after for a while. We were delighted, We got a very reasonable part ex price and the a good deal all round. We haven't really had any aftersales issues but they did promise to send some trim tape to cover a few bits that had come off inside, they had to order it from Italy (McLouis). Three weeks later an entire roll arrived in the post as promised. I would use them again for sure.

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
We bought our current van from Don Amotts, although we live miles away on the south coast we travelled up because they had the van we were after for a while. We were delighted, We got a very reasonable part ex price and the a good deal all round. We haven't really had any aftersales issues but they did promise to send some trim tape to cover a few bits that had come off inside, they had to order it from Italy (McLouis). Three weeks later an entire roll arrived in the post as promised. I would use them again for sure.
you was luckier than I was.steve

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
He is a dealer, so only believe 10% of what you are told by a salesman who quite possibly knows less about motorhomes than you do. Salesmen are just that, salesmen. :thumb:.

You have not met Andy, my Sales Manager or Glenn, my workshop manager or even my valeters..............................

Peter

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I collect my new to me MH tomorrow, from Spinney, from the start I was very impressed, saw sales man, he bought the keys and left me to take as long as I liked looking over it, no pressure, also looked at a few others and went back to the first one, I bought it, this week it was in for valeting and a few things I wanted doing, the workshop guy phoned me twice to check that was what I wanted and explained the best way, he said he treats the vans as if they were his, I was assured it would look as if it had just come from the manufacturers, was even given a voucher for a drink and a slice of cake. So , so far full marks.

ps Forgot to add, I sold my Topaz privately, and got £3,000 more than any dealer offered me , I didn`t ask Spinney for a price as I had already sold it.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back