Webasto Duel Top heater (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone descaled their Webasto boiler ! I'm thinking of using some diluted vinegar and lemon juice to do mine but would be interested in any members who have done there's and how they went about it.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Webasto recomend white wine vinegar but the truth is any vinegar will do as will lemon juice, the acid vinegar/lemon juice dissolves the alkali limescale. Simply pour some into your water tank and run the hot taps till you can smell the vinegar on it, you can put a fair amount in up to around 10% of the water volume in the tank. Once you have the vinegar at the taps close them and run the heater for a while then leave it for a few hours. Finally drain the system and flush with fresh water till vinegar smell is not noticable at the taps.

D.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We used malt vinegar the first time round, diluted to about one in five. It was introduced directly through the water inlet pipe. This avoids getting vinegar in your fresh tank and cold water system. Vital if you drink from your tank like us.
We use white wine vinegar now. Its best to get it from Carrefour if you are in France. Only 35 cents a litre. Much cheaper than rip off Britain!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you both, very helpful. I did speak directly to Webasto technical staff and the poor guy seemed a little lost on the subject. He recommended I pour the solution down a disconected hot water tap to back fill the boiler.
White wine vinegar is expensive compared to ordinary vinegar so I used google and ended up on a vinegar institute website. (White wine vinegar is about 6-7 % acidic whereas pickling vinegar about 5%).
Another website suggested mixing lemon juice with white wine vinegar and as you suggested filling the boiler (kettle) and then heating before rinsing.

You have both more or less confirmed my plan and I will complete this task tomorrow.

Incidentally, we love our Webasto heater, it will heat enough water in one go for the both of us to have a shower, using the WOWOSOWOSO method and is very, very quite.

Thanks again for your advice.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I don't see what the problem is with vinegar in the main tank, its not harmful, it won't taint the tank or pipework and you'll know when its all gone 'cos you won't smell or taste it any more. Its also a mild antiseptic so will help to clean your tank and pipes out.

D.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I don't see what the problem is with vinegar in the main tank, its not harmful, it won't taint the tank or pipework and you'll know when its all gone 'cos you won't smell or taste it any more. Its also a mild antiseptic so will help to clean your tank and pipes out.

D.

Agreed, I'll be putting my solution directly into the cold water storage tank from the external filling point.
We too drink water from the water tank and every year (after winter) I use a Milton solution to clean the tank and associated pipework. Cost pennies and does a great job.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I suppose if someone wished to put malt vinegar in their fresh tank, they can. I hope they aren't on water weter when it comes to flushing out the odour though!

Our hot water had a vinegar smell for a few boiler fulls!:Smile:

BTW, Webasto advise not to use chlorine based cleaning solutions. They will corrode the innards!

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
At about £1.20 per cubic metre (that's a thousand litres by my calculation) three full tankfuls at 100 litres a tank is only 40p for those on a meter, hardly going to break the bank.

D.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
At about £1.20 per cubic metre (that's a thousand litres by my calculation) three full tankfuls at 100 litres a tank is only 40p for those on a meter, hardly going to break the bank.

D.

You don't realise how tight we have to be after a buying a new van Dave!!!!!::bigsmile:

Good point!!!!!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back