Chanel Tunnel - One way booking - be very careful!! (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Last year when we came back to the UK using the Eurotunnel, the man in front of us in the Pet Passport office in Calais was going berserk as he had been told that he had actually booked to travel from Folkestone to Calais and would have to buy a completely new ticket at a huge cost. At the time my thought were what a numpty and that he only had himself to blame. Well, this year, guess what - I did exactly the same and was told that the cost of a new ticket would be..................... wait for it .......................... 250 euros one way!!!!! So we hoofed it off to a McDonalds a few miles away and booked online for 97 euros. Still annoyed at myself and also at Eurotunnel for being completely inflexible.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its not much different with the ferry companies if you turn up without a ticket. I did once but a very kind lady in the booking office told me to nip outside and book online. Saved around 50%.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
This also applies to the ferries when you turn up at Calais docks a week earlier than you had booked.

Had to pay about £90 for a crossing at the port office, when we said that's a bit much it only cost us £68 return in the first place we were told "that's a web price" this is what its going to cost you today to alter your booking.

What we weren't told at the time was we could have altered it online for a tenner, and to add insult to injury there is free WiFi in the terminal building!!:cry::cry:

Just beaten to the post by Snowbird

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Eurotunnel can be a little inflexible and jobs worthy sometimes, but occasionally, they come up trumps.
We turned up a day early a couple of years ago ( I think i put my watch a day forward instead of an hour!) with a large 4x4 and even larger caravan ( sorry) to be told we would have to either pay £120 to travel now or wait 24hrs for our original crossing. "We'll wait" I said. "where can I park the van for 24 hrs?"
With a queue forming behind us, the girl started getting a bit stressed when we refused to move and suddenly found a slot on the next crossing!
Funny, because the train was only half full!

We now buy 10 single crossings at a time and can change them for other off peak crossings quite easily, even up to an hour or so before travel ( which we have done a few times)
In fact, we are using another 2 of them this weekend….:thumb:
Allan

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Turned up somewhat early for the tunnel one time and tried to change to the next crossing. £90+ put me off the idea but I spotted the subsequent train was less than £20. We transferred to the twenty quid crossing but got on the next train. Apparently, you can transfer to the one before or the one after for nothing, even after changing your booking!

Last edited:

Curtisden

Free Member
Jul 1, 2011
Near Goudhurst Kent
Funster No
MH
High top 6m Panel Camper
Exp
Newbie but 25 Years towing.
Channel Tunnel Charges

Last year when we came back to the UK using the Eurotunnel, the man in front of us in the Pet Passport office in Calais was going berserk as he had been told that he had actually booked to travel from Folkestone to Calais and would have to buy a completely new ticket at a huge cost. At the time my thought were what a numpty and that he only had himself to blame. Well, this year, guess what - I did exactly the same and was told that the cost of a new ticket would be..................... wait for it .......................... 250 euros one way!!!!! So we hoofed it off to a McDonalds a few miles away and booked online for 97 euros. Still annoyed at myself and also at Eurotunnel for being completely inflexible.

WE are a Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller and find this the only way to travel across the Channel. Especially with a Dog.
But last month while using our last pair of tickets that we had paid for 11 months before.
The day before traveling out we amended the booking in and out and removed our dog saving £10x2 £20.
On arrival a 3pm the next crossing which normally shows a £20 excess to the following crossing which we were booked on showed up on the screen as no charge?
:thumb:
WE took this and asked at the check point if this was correct to be told If it say no charge thats it no charge!
On return we checked our account to find a £20 excess charge for that crossing?
:Eeek:
On E Mailing Eurotunnel they said that as my account was in credit because while they took the payment in full 11 months before, they take 6 weeks to refund. The account was therefore in credit and so there was no charge???!!!!
:swear:
I now have a refund after pointing out that No Charge means No Charge in law!
:Doh:
Minor hick up but will not put me off using them as its just so much quicker, convenient and flexible.
:thanks2:
Peter

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
just so you know

:Eeek: euro tunnel and myferry.com are the same company:whatthe::whatthe:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Theres obviously some very wealthy funsters. I could never afford there prices :Sad:.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Theres obviously some very wealthy funsters. I could never afford there prices :Sad:.

Tesco pays my chunnel fees:thumb: 4 times now for the price of the dog £30 travelling which cant be payed for with discount vouchers :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Tesco pays my chunnel fees:thumb: 4 times now for the price of the dog £30 travelling which cant be payed for with discount vouchers :thumb:

I cant afford to shop at Tesco either :Sad:. Anyway Shifty got me banned :Doh:.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Tunnel for us everytime used it two weeks back to take the bike to Spain for the Moto GP fraction of the price of all the ferries also got back to terminal 4 hours early got on the waiting train no extra cost. :thumb:

Ferry thanks but no thanks :winky:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Tunnel for us everytime used it two weeks back to take the bike to Spain for the Moto GP fraction of the price of all the ferries
Hi Rory,

It might have been a fraction of the price for the bike, but for the MH (without TESCO points), the tunnel is quite expensive compared with the ferries. Our past experience with DFDS, ie going out on a Sunday and coming back on a Friday (daytime crossings) has been £48 return, (through the CC).

We can't get a single crossing on the tunnel, at any unearthly hour of the day, for that price. :whatthe:

Cheers,

Jock.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have just returned from a round trip, Dover=Calais with a 7 metre MH towing a Smart car on a trailer for £48 booked direct with DFDS. I know its quicker on the tunnel and if the price was comparable I would prefer to use the tunnel, but when the tunnel is charging the price of a tank of fuel extra am afraid its a no brainer for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back