What type of insulation PVC (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Just been having a little look around as we have sold our large MH and are looking to downsize.

Called in at a small independent converter today for a chat. Regarding the insulation he showed me what they put into the sidewalls of the panel vans. It s just loft insulation shoved in, is this the correct stuff to use? It looks a bit cheap and nasty to me.

What do other PVC converters use I wonder.

Paul.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'm not sure what the "pro's" use but most of the better self-builds use either Kingspan or are professionally spray foamed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I'm not sure what the "pro's" use but most of the better self-builds use either Kingspan or are professionally spray foamed.

Yes I would have thought the Kingspan or Celotex stuff. I think Hymer spray it in.

I will not be going anywhere near todays lot then, he showed me the big pile of loft insulation on the floor. I said, surely what happens if it gets damp and he said there is no way it can. Although he said they have been making them like this for many years.

Paul.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes I would have thought the Kingspan or Celotex stuff. I think Hymer spray it in.

I will not be going anywhere near todays lot then, he showed me the big pile of loft insulation on the floor. I said, surely what happens if it gets damp and he said there is no way it can. Although he said they have been making them like this for many years.

Paul.

AUTOSLEEPER used the same stuff in the 90s on their panel vans. It worked fine. I dont think there was any insulation in my 2008 Trigano Tribute, it was freezing in the Autumn. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
After a bit of research I used 25mm thick Kingspan stuck with Sika, I also filled all the ribs with gun grade foam.

Mike

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
AUTOSLEEPER used the same stuff in the 90s on their panel vans. It worked fine. I dont think there was any insulation in my 2008 Trigano Tribute, it was freezing in the Autumn. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Yes I cam imagine people using it in the early 90,s. However I think things have moved on a bit. I would sooner use sheeps wool insulation rather than the fibreglass loft stuff.

Paul.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Any fiber type insulation will suffer from problems over the years.
If any moisture or condensation gets in it makes the insulation soggy and it sags and you end up with an air gap at the top which results in more condensation etc etc.

In my current self build I have used.
Celotex/Kingspan
single tin spray foam
two part poly urethane foam.
Recycled bottle insulation (can't remember the name) but it is like the fibre glass insulation but no itchy itchy.

Anyway. I ended up removing it all and using the two part everywhere.

The problem I had with the celotex was that it was a flat board and the walls of the van curve. No matter how well I filled gaps I always ended up with condensation problems. The was most noticeable in the roof. After a couple of weeks I would get a stream of water running down the wall where the condensation had built up and pooled on top of the celotex.

The single tin foam ended up mulching in places.

The two part foam went on as a liquid with the consistency of carnation cream. But immediately started expanding and bonded strongly to the metal. The end result was fantastic. It also increases the rigidity of the body, reduces noise and drumming caused by rain. I have had zero condensation problems since doing this.

It is pricey but the improvement is dramatic over all other methods.

Whenever I talk to people about self builds I always recommend not to scrimp on the insulation. Save money elsewhere if necessary but don't scrimp on insulation.

This is the one I used.
Link Removed

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
NVantage use "Thinsulate". This is only half of the story, the windows, roof, floor and roof lights also need to be checked. The rear doors are the most difficult area to insulate, particularly if you want a rear lounge model. Look at lots of conversions and and ask!!
Good luck with your search:thumb:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Before I started with the insulation I stuck timber battons to the van roof at around 400mm centres, I then stuck aluminium faced bubble wrap to the roof between the timbers and to all of the van sides. The ribs were then filled with the gun grade foam which meant that there were no bare metal surfaces left for condensation to form on. The 25mm thick Kingspan was then stuck on top of the aluminium faced bubble wrap. On top of this on the ceiling and walls I fastened 6mm plywood and then a 3mm finished plywood. The floor was 12mm plywood on the 25mm Kingspan.
There were some places inside the doors where I could not use the foam because of cables so there I used the recycled plastic insulation.

Mike

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Any fiber type insulation will suffer from problems over the years.
If any moisture or condensation gets in it makes the insulation soggy and it sags and you end up with an air gap at the top which results in more condensation etc etc.

In my current self build I have used.
Celotex/Kingspan
single tin spray foam
two part poly urethane foam.
Recycled bottle insulation (can't remember the name) but it is like the fibre glass insulation but no itchy itchy.

Anyway. I ended up removing it all and using the two part everywhere.

The problem I had with the celotex was that it was a flat board and the walls of the van curve. No matter how well I filled gaps I always ended up with condensation problems. The was most noticeable in the roof. After a couple of weeks I would get a stream of water running down the wall where the condensation had built up and pooled on top of the celotex.

The single tin foam ended up mulching in places.

The two part foam went on as a liquid with the consistency of carnation cream. But immediately started expanding and bonded strongly to the metal. The end result was fantastic. It also increases the rigidity of the body, reduces noise and drumming caused by rain. I have had zero condensation problems since doing this.

It is pricey but the improvement is dramatic over all other methods.

Whenever I talk to people about self builds I always recommend not to scrimp on the insulation. Save money elsewhere if necessary but don't scrimp on insulation.

This is the one I used.
Link Removed

Many thanks Gromett, cracking info.

I wonder if any of the PVC converters use this system?

Paul.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ours was done with kingspan gun grade foam and recycled plastic the foof was done with thinsulate but i wish now id used kingspan but at the time i was worried about head room

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back