European travel in the MH advice. (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
we have friends in central France and Northern/Mid Spain and we are planning to go on our adventures to visit them and spend some time touring in several European countries (inc Ireland) in our MH over the next year or so. We have the necessary insurance and breakdown recovery for Europe - so all OK there and van ready (mechanically etc). Driving on the wrong side not an issue as I spent years over there with work, just not in a MH.

We are looking for advice - what do we need/to do before booking the ferries and blasting off on our adventures????
We will be taking our Staffy so the pet passport is on the cards - struggling to stop him smiling for the photo is the main problem. :roflmto:

All advice, pointers and recommendations greatly received. A to do/needs list would be a bonus.

Kind Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
please forget my requests and ramblings - just spent half hour on Google and got all I needed.

Thanks.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If you are using campsites quite a lot then watch out for the ones that will not take certain types of dogs, I have often seen Staffys and similar types on lists that say are not acceptable.

Mike

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Mikeco is right - the French will not permit the import of certain breeds, including " any dog of the type known as the Staffordshire terrier without a pedigree". You can google "Restrictions on dogs in France" and pick up the details. If your Staffy is a pedigree you should take the pedigree with you.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Mikeco is right - the French will not permit the import of certain breeds, including " any dog of the type known as the Staffordshire terrier without a pedigree". You can google "Restrictions on dogs in France" and pick up the details. If your Staffy is a pedigree you should take the pedigree with you.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

I took a copy of the French regulations printed in English and French.

Link Removed

I ensured his breed was clearly written in his Passport as Staffordshire Bull Terrier as cross breeds are banned.
I encountered several people that thought he was a Pit-Bull, including a Gendarme. He didn't push the matter, he just told me that he should be muzzled in a public place. I didn't argue, I left the market area.
Generally dogs are accepted although Staffs are unusual so do attract interest.
So guarded, some curious, but once accepted he collected many strokes.
My French is limited but I just said he was "doux et gentil" and that usually helped.
There is a list of French vets available on this site kindly produced by Roryboys Dad.
Bon voyage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I guess there is no way I can take my dog to France?

He's a pure bred Staffie but not papered. He's also big for his breed.

DSC09938.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just forget it?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont go to france take the ferry to spain . france is ok but if they dont want the dog just give it a miss .

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Yeah I guess that's my only option. Annoying though.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
depends when you want to go as well though . i find it much nicer to get on the ferry at plymouth and get off in santander . 24hrs or less and in spain . i certainly cant get there cheaper in my truck. even if the ferry was free to france .
unfortunately i had to have my dog put down due to old age . but she was a regular traveler . not one thart couldnt go to france i will admit . but she loved m,home life . spent more of her life abroad than in uk .
happy travels . call in for coffee if your passing .

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I guess there is no way I can take my dog to France?

He's a pure bred Staffie but not papered. He's also big for his breed.

DSC09938.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just forget it?

As previously stated, Alfie is entered as S B T on passport. I carried the paperwork. (but not pedigree papers). Luckily he doesn't bark or cause nuisance. He is kept on a lead at all times. It was being in a very busy market in **Montalivet when the Gendarme intervened. No one has ever questioned me before. Why should they? He is on a short lead and walks quitely alongside me. He has been twice now and will be going again.

** Now that does get busy!!

EXTRACT FROM THEIR REGULATIONS.

Dangerous dogs

Dangerous dogs in France are classified in 2 categories :
Link Removed Category 1 : attack dogs - They are dogs whose appearance is of American Staffordshire terrier (pit-bulls), Mastiff (boerbulls) and Tosa types (i.e. without pedigree). It is prohibited to introduce these dogs into France.
Link Removed Category 2 : defence and guard dogs – They are dogs of American Staffordshire terrier, Rottweiler, and Tosa breeds (i.e. with pedigree), and dogs of a Rottweiler type (without pedigree).
Link Removed
American Staffordshire Terrier breed Known until 1972 under the name of Staffordshire Terrier – Not to be confused with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, which is not listed as a dangerous dog.:thumb:

Its a thin line, just avoid crossing it. Don't draw attention, strictly speaking you are not breaking the law, although they may interpret differently and I refuse to get in to a discussion about which dogs are good or bad.
I went for a month.Too long for him in kennels !
Go for it...............

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
(Snipped)

All advice, pointers and recommendations greatly received. A to do/needs list would be a bonus.

Kind Regards,

Take Fray Bentos pies. Useful for bartering in some rural parts of southern Europe.

JJ

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Surely not JJ? Battering the locals in rural France must be against the law? :Blush: :sorry2:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have heard there is a place in portugal where a fray bentos pie may get you a place to stop and some friendly company . i havent found it yet as i eat the fray bentos myself . ha ha maybe one year .

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi all,
thanks for the advice, especially around the dog issues. Taz, our current staffy, has the pedigree papers etc but I have been led to believe that the 'passport' will be taken in evidence of breed v pedigree papers. I understand not everyone knows about the SBT breed but the similarities between a staffy and an American Pitbull are about the same as a great dane compared to a chow chow - I understand though better not to argue, just agree and move on.

Wlan, popping in sounds like an idea.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
be welcome . i was thinking of wissel as i believe he is close . as it is i shant be here soon . but next year . no probs .

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
One think you might like to do is make an ICE pack. This is a set of your documents, photocopied and carried in the van as a back up, but also a copy at home with someone who could fax or post etc if needed.

Here is my take on the ICE pack

Russell

What I always do is keep photocopies of everything (passports, insurance etc etc)with me and also email copies to myself so you can always retrieve them as long as you have internet access (at a consulate for example)

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
ICE

That's a brilliant idea - I had never thought of holding them electronically!

Russell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back