Warning cam belt fiat ducato 2.8 jtd must read (1 Viewer)

D

david1234

Deleted User
Hi all just changed the cam belt on my mh fiat 2.8 jtd,
fairly easy to do? Hardest bit engine mounting,

anyway warning to all i thought these engines have a self adjusting pully wheel they dont, they have a manuel self adjusting pully tensioner.

How to adjust, if you steer hard right and drive up a small ramp ie the yellow fiamma type you will have room to do?? No wheels off or jacks needed.

Remove bottom shroud cover 1 ten mill nut then 2 17MM nuts,
then look up into the engine just high of the bottom pully to the right you will see a 17mm nut loosen it of a bit just to give slack, this will allow the adjuster to take any slack up in the cam belt then re lock the nut back in place.
Make a note of how many turn you turned the nut to loosen and turn it back to the same and a little bit more if you like,

make sure you lock tight it.

If you over tyten it distorts the plastic shroud and can make it rub.if you under tyten it the roller will fall of and the belt will to and reck the engine??

Anyway hope this helps my cam belt was very loose and i was lucky it never sliped a tooth but i replaced the lot anyway.
No special tools where used only the bottom pully nut is a 36mm socket and i used a snap-on hammer wrench so didnt need to lock engine??to loosen the big nut at the bottom on the pully wheel.
If you only have spanners wrenches sockets etc you will have to lock the flywheel there is a tool but a well placed bar screw driver tyre lever etc in the flywheel should hold it, get someone to hold it in place as you wont be able to do 2 things at once.
But this is only if your replacing the belt.
Make sure you lock all the timming marks up as well. double check use paint marker etc. And when done make sure you turn the engine over with the 36mm socket a good few times, NOT BY THE CAMSHAFT before you start it.

Hope this helps someone or saves there engine all the best all.
i can not be held responcible if you mess it up sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Very comprehensive report and should be helpful to many funsters.

How old is the engine/vehicle and mileage?.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

david1234

Deleted User
How old is the engine/vehicle?.

2002 to 2006 mines a face lift 2002 with a FP fuel pump not a IP injection pump.
IP has to be locked and timed
FP the ECU dose it so no need but i marked it anyway just in case the ecu desided it didnt like the new settings.

miles is only 32,000 so be warned not used that much and it was on its last legs very lucky it didnt go as we are about to go to south of france.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Camm Belt

David, Very useful recipe on how to do it. Good for many Funsters. This is what the forum is all about ,passing on info.
Cheers Ron W

OP
OP
D

david1234

Deleted User
quick update you can also get at the 17mm nut from the top of the engine that alows the cam belt adjustment. just slacken of and re-tieten will alow the the adjuster to move out then lock it back again. easy.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
this info will cum in handy thanks:thumb:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
:Eeek::Eeek:the post was made 4 years ago Billthedrill, so I expect the op is not here to read your thanks, esp as he is "unregistered"

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
:Eeek::Eeek:the post was made 4 years ago Billthedrill, so I expect the op is not here to read your thanks, esp as he is "unregistered"
thanks for that but the info still handy :Blush:

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
this info will cum in handy thanks:thumb:
I have a 2.8 tdi and the makers say the cam belt should be changed every 6 years or 72thousand miles whichever comes first. so don't let things go to chance or youll regret it steve:thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have a 2.8 tdi and the makers say the cam belt should be changed every 6 years or 72thousand miles whichever comes first. so don't let things go to chance or youll regret it steve:thumb:
thanks for your advice :thumb:
i am just in the proses of a engine rebuild on a engine i got to replace the worn out engine on my van so well aware of the issues with these engines now wishing i had never started but in the end i will have a engine like new with all the rings bigends oil seals gaskets head fully refurbished and new cambelt and tesoner
cheers bill

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A seriously over simplified job description, but then I would say that I do it for a living
Id be very interested in what belt tension gauge was used or did the OP simply guess:Eeek:
Snap on hammer wrench eh Sooooooooper Dooooooper, did he put it back with that too:RollEyes:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
:thumb:
A seriously over simplified job description, but then I would say that I do it for a living
Id be very interested in what belt tension gauge was used or did the OP simply guess:Eeek:
Snap on hammer wrench eh Sooooooooper Dooooooper, did he put it back with that too:RollEyes:
that's well worth thinking about when i put my new cam belt on may get the some one to do the tension bit or may go get my shelf the tool :thumb:
i am sure the original poster posted with the best intentions wonder if it's still ruining probably is my old LDV ran for years after i over haled it and not a tensioner gauge in site:thumb:

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
:thumb:
that's well worth thinking about when i put my new cam belt on may get the some one to do the tension bit or may go get my shelf the tool :thumb:
i am sure the original poster posted with the best intentions wonder if it's still ruining probably is my old LDV ran for years after i over haled it and not a tensioner gauge in site:thumb:

It is only when a newly installed belt fails within its warranty period and a claim is made that the supplier/ manufacturer will want evidence of fitting procedure and tools used to set correct tensions:thumb:
If you cant prove your competence and procedures then you can whistle for your compo:Doh: and all the money you saved on a DIY fit you can put toward your engine repairs:RollEyes:
None of this is normally a topic for discussion as folk simply don't want to hear it
Its only when the s**t hits the fan you hear Ooooer:Doh:
We take out insurance for when such things happen at great expense.
It used to be called faulty workmanship cover, now its better known as product liability
You dont really think we would be paying for that if there was only a very slight chance of things going T**s Up
Anyone can get things wrong, it so much easier to get wrong if you don't have the right tools and know how
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back