Height restriction 2.1m - advice please! (1 Viewer)

AriadneAranea

Free Member
Oct 7, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Hi, I am in the research stage and just figuring out what I need.

Pretty much my only absolute must-have so far is that it must be able to get under the height barrier into the car park where it will live - our car park has a coach house flat above the entrance so a non-negotiable height restriction of 2.1m. The local dealer I popped into at the weekend, they looked at me as if I had two heads when I said I wanted a van under 2.1m - surely it's not impossible?!

ETA: Actually, it might be 2.4m. I did measure it a while ago, but can't find the bit of paper I wrote it on... will have to check again tomorrow!

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I would suggest you either move or find somewhere else to keep a van as the only option you have is a Romahome Hilo that I know of.
Link Removed

Overall Length (no ladder):4.75m / 15' 7Overall Width (mirrors folded):1.64m / 5' 4Overall Height (inc. TV aerial):1.93m / 6' 4

Last edited:
Upvote 0

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
vw t4 or t5 or mazda bongo with a pop up roof should do i would of thought ! regards garry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi, I am in the research stage and just figuring out what I need.

Pretty much my only absolute must-have so far is that it must be able to get under the height barrier into the car park where it will live - our car park has a coach house flat above the entrance so a non-negotiable height restriction of 2.1m. The local dealer I popped into at the weekend, they looked at me as if I had two heads when I said I wanted a van under 2.1m - surely it's not impossible?!
ETA: Actually, it might be 2.4m. I did measure it a while ago, but can't find the bit of paper I wrote it on... will have to check again tomorrow!
The VW California is just under 2m I've had a couple of them and in the process of another. Not cheep but a fantastic all round performer. Four berths go anywhere luxury with excellent economy. See link Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AriadneAranea

Free Member
Oct 7, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Thanks both.
Just checked and it's actually 2.2m.... (hm)

One of my neighbours used to park a good-sized panel van out there which is why I assumed it would be no problem....

Upvote 0

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Thanks both.

One of my neighbours used to park a good-sized panel van out there which is why I assumed it would be no problem....

There's your answer then

A panel van conversion should do it.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Height restriction

Hi, unless you are content to have your choice of van limited by the height of the coach house arch, it might be worth looking at other options. To reach the back of our new house, where our car park is, we also have to drive under a coach house archway which by the sound of it, is the same height as yours. But we haven't changed the van. When we need to load it we either load the car and drive to the van, or sometimes park the van right outside the front door for a short while. We now store the van a few miles from home on a hard standing within an established campsite which is open all year and which is accessed only by driving past the site owners' front door. And it only costs us £200 a year.

For us, that is a worthwhile compromise which allows us to have the size and type of van which best suits our travel and living requirements.

If of course, the smaller vans are wha suit you, then fine!

:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AriadneAranea

Free Member
Oct 7, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Oh - thanks, that was something I never thought of!
I did have in mind a smaller one anyway but at least that gives me another option :D

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What kind if van are you looking for (excluding the height issue)? Do you need a shower? How many berths? What is your budget?

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks both.

I could be wrong, but that doesn't sound right. My Doblo's 2.1m and it's noticeably lower than your typical "good-sized panel van".

I reckon 2.2m is restricting you to a microhutch like mine, or a pop-top as mentioned already.

Upvote 0

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Just checked the Peugeot Van Site.

Height of a Boxer is 2254mm

Width (inc Door Mirrors) is 2508mm.

So a standard Boxer van would be pushed to get under the archway.

Didn't realise they are wider than higher. Optical illusion I suppose

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Oh - thanks, that was something I never thought of!
I did have in mind a smaller one anyway but at least that gives me another option :D

We can get ours on the drive, but still put it in storage. Missing caravans/motorhomes are often noted by the local toerags.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AriadneAranea

Free Member
Oct 7, 2013
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Lots to think about here - thanks everyone for your input. Will have to get out and about with a tape measure!!

I'm definitely attracted by the tiny vans, just not sure about the practicalities. My vision is something I can go away with for short breaks with my young daughter (she is 8yo and it would be just the two of us) and I reckon it would be alright for that, with maybe an awning or a tent outside once she gets big enough to resent sharing with her old mum. But would also like to be able to take day trips with friends and not sure the tiny ones would do the trick for that - in an ideal world really I want 4/5 travelling seats.

Berths - well 2 minimum! Would like 3/4 but not definite there.

Budget - up to £20k all in which looks like it would do me for a reasonable second hand camper, with hopefully a bit left over for all the extras I will doubtless have to shell out for.

Would like a toilet, but can do without I expect, if needs be - depends what I have to sacrifice to get one! Definitely not bothered about a shower.

Haven't really thought any further than that yet. I'm willing to be flexible on most things, though :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back