Price of vans (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know there is another thread going on along these lines but thought this deserves another.
Have you thought a fiat chassis cab maybe costs 10 grand when bought in bulk so where does the other £40,000 go in building a motor home all it is ,is a bit of 2x2pine a bit of tin and plastic and wire and lights and stuff , if you say that costs £10000 surly for 30 grand labour they could put it together right, I would expect to build my own house for that labour

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I will never understand the cost. They say its harder to fit a van out than a coachbuilt. Cant see it but what do i know. BUSBY:roflmto:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
I know there is another thread going on along these lines but thought this deserves another.
Have you thought a fiat chassis cab maybe costs 10 grand when bought in bulk so where does the other £40,000 go in building a motor home all it is ,is a bit of 2x2pine a bit of tin and plastic and wire and lights and stuff , if you say that costs £10000 surly for 30 grand labour they could put it together right, I would expect to build my own house for that labour
You have answered your own question 30k to build a house labour another 50k Matt why a sell cost of 200k plus

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

Not quite, have you looked at the price of fridges, cookers, toilets etc?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if your talking PVC type they are a rip off.

coachbuilt is different...its all the little bits that add up.

maybe 30 tubes of sikaflex at £8 or £9 a pop.

quite a few litres of epoxy resin

cooker

water heater

van heater

all £400/£500 each

windows...maybe £150/£200 each

it all adds up in dribs and drabs

upopup

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
lincoln
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
not

Got to agree!

Looked at a 5 year old chasson on sunday for our first MH at £30000.

Got thinking:Doh:

Base chassis ( if a van) worth about £5000 max...

Makes the back worth £25000!!!.........Never???

Cant get my head around it

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I know, they are incredibly expensive, but, they are hand built and relatively low volume.
I'm not defending the industry, but a LWB chassis cab in 2010 cost between £21K and £27K, I don't suppose many manufacturers would be able to buy and store too many to make much of a saving on bulk buys, if they did, then I expect a 5-10% reduction.
No idea how much an Al-Ko chassis would cost, but they would still have to buy a chassis cab to convert.

Still expensive though, and you would think they would be perfect when they come out of the factory, but some do seem to contain some poor workmanship or design idiosyncrasies!

Allan.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I think that the original post mentioned a Chassis/Cab which would cost less than a Panel Van, however I can tell you that in May 2012 my new Peugeot Boxer cost £18,000 which included having the front bumper sprayed silver to match the van and a tow bar. I then spent around £9,000 on materials which included some items not found on some vans such as a Autogas underslung tank at £700, Fiamma awning and bike rack at around £1000.
This meant that I ended up with a fully fitted out van for around £27,000.

Mike

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they dont buy chassis cabs and convert to alko .
they buy two cabbs on a purpose made chassis bolted back to back . you very often see them on the ferry,s on trucks of cause . mind they could be push me pull me,s i have seen .
in 89 it was about 9 grand for a vw 2.1 van . yet it could be 19-21 grand as a high top camper . i built my own then for about 3 grand using new bits .
self build as always been the way . only had one devon split screen van . after that i knew just what i wanted and built it from scratch .

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I would imagine that the best discount for bulk purchases of chassis/cabs is around 40% if you are very lucky and buy thousands. Most converters dont!

Then there is the Alko chassis for coachbuilts

If you look at say a comparable vehicle like a Ford people carrier they are over £31k and they are mass produced on a factory line in their thousands by basically robots unlike a PVC which is hand built

On the same hand a PVC costing £40k includes delivery, RFL and TWENTY PER CENT VAT ...................just under £8000-00 for a start

Peter

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

cooker

water heater

van heater

all £400/£500 each

I have allowed £10000 for this

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, I know what the OP means, it kind of puts you off when you looking for another van, especially when you see the quality of some of the finished ones.

The ones I like(Mercedes panel vans from a couple of the German converters are about 80 thousand euros:cry::cry:) Criminal.

Paul.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
they dont buy chassis cabs and convert to alko .
they buy two cabbs on a purpose made chassis bolted back to back
. you very often see them on the ferry,s on trucks of cause . mind they could be push me pull me,s i have seen .
in 89 it was about 9 grand for a vw 2.1 van . yet it could be 19-21 grand as a high top camper . i built my own then for about 3 grand using new bits .
self build as always been the way . only had one devon split screen van . after that i knew just what i wanted and built it from scratch .

If thats the case, then according to Peugeot's pricing as at 2010 ( I assume Fiat would be similar prices) the push me pull you cabs were around £23K each then there is the cost of the fitting of the Al-Ko chassis and rear axles to take into account.

Still pricey

Allan

Edit, its all the VAT, tax, business rates and ridiculously high fuel prices that have to be paid. Then you have to pay the work force, and they pay even more tax. I blame the government.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

cooker

water heater

van heater

all £400/£500 each

Well I reckon that up to £4000, I did say 10 grand

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Why don't you build your own then, or commission it yourself?

There are so many negative threads running at the moment I am starting to lose the will to live.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bin there, dun that, too old for crawling under vans now I'm afraid:Sad:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have got all the insides for one in the shed out of a caravan bought for £100 and stripped out been looking for a van but afraid time is catching up with me:Sad: cooker water heater taps shower cubical fridge cupboards the lot.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,m biased i know but these would make a good base.Link Removed
get a new box and have nice straight walls . last most of you for ever . certainly a better build quality than most chassis cabs .
mix them with this crowd.Link Removed
i often think should i build one on the 7.5 ton truck . be nice . but i do like what i have .
but never know .

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Take for example my Topaz, today new they are £57,000, I know it is VW and they are expensive, a larger coachbuilt, £35,000 + for Fiat etc, so is larger better ? or small more quality. at the end of the day you make your choice that you are happy with. myself I am sticking with the VW, just my choice.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Is this the fun site or have I logged on to the wrong one again?
If you dont like something or you think its to expensive dont buy it. Simples.
I've just tried to work out why a Mars bar cost fifteen bob, christ there must be some profit in that, but then there is the advertising and the wrapping and the delivery and the ingredients and the rent and rates on the factory and blah blah blah .
I need a drink now but youve got me thinking now, have you seen the price of a bottle of wine, bloody hell its only a few squashed grapes!! how do they justify the price and so on and so on.
Now I'm crying and need a tissue. Oh hell, have you seen the price of a box of tissues.

Laughter is free for gods sake. Lets have more of it.
Rant over:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Love these threads.

Looking forward to the new range of Funster vans called the chaser 650.

If its so easy and the profits are so vast why are there so few doing it?

Look at the last makers who tried, Bentley. How long did they last making bespoke models ?

How many caravan manufactures actually bother?

They are that price because they sell at that price, get over it. :thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I know, they are incredibly expensive, but, they are hand built and relatively low volume.
I'm not defending the industry, but a LWB chassis cab in 2010 cost between £21K and £27K, I don't suppose many manufacturers would be able to buy and store too many to make much of a saving on bulk buys, if they did, then I expect a 5-10% reduction.
No idea how much an Al-Ko chassis would cost, but they would still have to buy a chassis cab to convert.

Still expensive though, and you would think they would be perfect when they come out of the factory, but some do seem to contain some poor workmanship or design idiosyncrasies!

Allan.

Think a chassis cab could be sourced for half that. BUSBY::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Is this the fun site or have I logged on to the wrong one again?
If you dont like something or you think its to expensive dont buy it. Simples.
I've just tried to work out why a Mars bar cost fifteen bob, christ there must be some profit in that, but then there is the advertising and the wrapping and the delivery and the ingredients and the rent and rates on the factory and blah blah blah .
I need a drink now but youve got me thinking now, have you seen the price of a bottle of wine, bloody hell its only a few squashed grapes!! how do they justify the price and so on and so on.
Now I'm crying and need a tissue. Oh hell, have you seen the price of a box of tissues.

Laughter is free for gods sake. Lets have more of it.
Rant over:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
hi, only 75cents a litre in spain . roll on november . only 76cents for a litre of beer as well. .

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Without going into great detail your pricing is very vague, Motorhomes aren't mass produce like cars and the guys on the shop floor have to be paid if they sell one or one hundred vans.

How much is their factory costing them I know ours have fixed cost of over £18m a year then you have all the variable cost to add to this. These guys don't just build Motorhomes in their garage they also have to pay for staff training pensions not forgetting their insurance this could run into the millions even before a MH has been sold.

Or would you rather they employed immigrants on 0 hours contract with no benefits you would get a cheap van but then you'd moan about the way they treat their workers and why don't the Brits get off their arse and work and I'm sure this goes for other countries who also have the added cost of transporting the MH to the UK.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Now if you really want to get upset and cry yourself to sleep a good rule of thumb is that if you take the standard retail price of something including tax and divide it by three you will end up with the factory gate price.

E.G retail £100 actual cost is about £33 :cry::cry::cry:

With the exception of clothes, shoes and other items made in China and other low cost areas, cost would be about 15% of retail.

Peter

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Now if you really want to get upset and cry yourself to sleep a good rule of thumb is that if you take the standard retail price of something including tax and divide it by three you will end up with the factory gate price.

E.G retail £100 actual cost is about £33 :cry::cry::cry:

With the exception of clothes, shoes and other items made in China and other low cost areas, cost would be about 15% of retail.

Peter

So the dealer makes twice as much as the manufacturer , is that how it works:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no there are taxes and delivery .
almost every business is based an at least 25-30 %of the price as profit . other wise they cant exist .
the question becomes . you buy something for a pound sell it for 1.50 . how much as a % have you made ?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
When i was a haulier a new tractor unit could be purchased for less than half of list price. BUSBY:Smile:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
no there are taxes and delivery .
almost every business is based an at least 25-30 %of the price as profit . other wise they cant exist .
the question becomes . you buy something for a pound sell it for 1.50 . how much as a % have you made ?

33% on return or 50% on cost

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
hi, only 75cents a litre in spain . roll on november .[HI] only 76cents for a litre of beer [/HI]as well. .

I hope that's for a well chilled draught.....:thumb:

That would compensate for the price of a 40k motorhome......

well for me anyway......:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back