Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
doncaster
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 660
Exp
since 2012
My beloved and I have decided that we have had enough of the rat race and after doing a few sums, have come up with the idea (like many others it seems) that if we get rid of the house and car we can afford to bog off and drop off the system spending winter months in Europe spending money and summer (!) back home working to save up and go again when the weather changes.
We are already the proud (and happy) owners of a lovely swift kontiki 660 but his nibs has decided that an RV would kill two birds with one stone giving us a UK base and a European option. I'm a bit scared by it to tell the truth. We have been and had a look at a few rv's and Ive scoured fleabay and I have to admit - he has a valid point.
Trouble is they are so big compared to our camper (which is quite big itself, although not comparable by any means) and I fancy the wild camping in Portugal route. Can you go wild camping in an RV tho given the size?? What are the pitfalls of owning and running such a goliath, Im sure the mileage is scary for a start although thats not much of a consideration as we dont really intend to travel about all that much (probably just as well) How about breakdown cover, insurance, ferries etc etc etc....
The other option is keep the kontiki and have a static back here in UK as a base. Lee thinks we wont have enough room in the camper for staying in europe 6 months at a time. I must admit, having had a look, the RV is impressive and the space is desirable, but .........
Any advice please ????

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Just to say welcome to the FUN :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Can"t comment from experience on the RV although many others on here have them and love them.
But, one or two on here have sold them and opted for a smaller van saying that route planning and parking is much easier now, and of course, there is a saving on the wallet.
As for living in a smaller van, we spent months at a time away in a much smaller coach built ( we were much younger and slimmer then!) and we soon got used to the reduced space, but we also did a lot of travelling and only really slept in it.
I can certainly see the benefits of an RV, more space, possibly better equipped, room for everything to be put away.
However, there are a lot of roomy A Class vans around. They have plenty of living space, in a smaller more economical package. Have you considered one of those?
We bought a van about the same size and layout as your Swift, our intention is to sell up here, rent a smaller property here, live in the van in Europe while looking for a house in France ( and probably live in the van while we refurbish the house) and spend loads of time touring. We are quite happy to do all that in our van.

Allan

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Don't do it with an RV....

Decent sized Eurovan one of the bigger engine ones and a small car on a trailer...

There seem to be problems with a lot of breakdown firms about the cost and how far they will get you home on the premium you have paid...

An average on a petrol engine RV approx. 6 - 8 MPG,,,, if fitted with LPG system 10 - 14 MPG...

Only saving grace with a big Yank is the engines do seem to go on forever, providing regular oil changes.... But... there is an awful lot other than the engine to go wrong IE

Hydraulic Jacks,,, Electric/hydraulic Slides,,, Size of tyres if needed on the continent are a pain to get hold of, Nye-on impossible abroad reasonably available over here, but on the continent you have to think about getting them shipped out.,, Weeks and weeks should you be unlucky and have a windscreen crack/Break.....

After 8 years with an American.... and all the worries about taking it abroad.... we have reverted to a reasonable size Eurovan...

Just my take on them,,,,, others will come along and say they are the best thing since sliced bread...

Each to their own.....

Good luck whichever road you go down.. :thumb:

PS... Welcome...

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
I bought my rv earlier this year, so I might not be the best to advise, but here is my take.
My wife and I have three boy`s at 17, 14 and 13, so really the rv was our best option space wise. We bought a 33' Gulfstream, with 2 side outs. The space really is fantastic, and it suits our needs perfectly. There is lots of room.
Something to look out for is weight restriction. Lot`s of dealers told us these could be driven on an (old) style driving licence, but anything over 7.5 ton, and you will need an hgv (which me and Emma did last week !). We still have a huge payload, of around 1.7 ton, plus capacity to tow. Many have been re-plated to below 7.5 ton, so can be driven on the old style licence, but then have little or no payload.
Fuel wise, yes they are very thirsty. But, many have already been converted to lpg. We get roughly 9 mpg, but lpg is half the price of unleaded, so you will get equivalent of about 18, which I don`t think is bad.
When I first drove mine, I was very daunted, but they seem to shrink around you, and you will get used to it. I have driven around Cornwall and Devon, and live in a very rural area, with single track roads. Most, can be driven, if with a little planning.
I have only been to 4-5 sites, but have not been refused anywhere because of our size, including caravan club sites.
For us, recovery/breakdown is included with our insurance.
If you want to wild camp, you would have the benefit of large holding tanks, and the actual length of ours is comparable to many of the larger Fiat based ones which are parked next to us.
I can`t say for ferry prices yet, I will find out next year !

OP
OP
C

christinekontiki

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
doncaster
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 660
Exp
since 2012
Thanks all for your thoughts. The driving license is no problem as Lee is an hgv driver and is totally unfazed about driving anything! I have reservations about driving our Kontiki, so I cant see me having a go on a really big un, but then again, that's what I keep him for ::bigsmile:
I had a look on the other forum as suggested, don't think I will make a member tho. Thanks all the same.
He is doing his best to convert me and to be honest, I think I might be persuaded. Just so sick of the rat race, and its not getting any better as the weather cools down :cry:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Go to kindle store and buy the book called " when Katie pulled Boris" not much£2 maybe but all about someone buying an rv and traveling around Europe ::bigsmile:
Sorry it's How Katie pulled boris

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Go to kindle store and buy the book called " when Katie pulled Boris" not much£2 maybe but all about someone buying an rv and traveling around Europe ::bigsmile:
Sorry it's How Katie pulled boris

another great factual read in the same vain....

Broken Link Removed

Containing useful tips and historical information, this is a book full of humour, catastrophes and everything else that comes with life on the road.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Having just started our third month in our van it is possible to live quite comfortably in a medium sized van as long as you get on well with your partner.
However we have now decided we do need a base and are looking to get somewhere in Edinburgh for the summer and Spain for the winter.:thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As everyone de facto thinks that their current set up is ideal (or else they would be changing as well :winky:) you will get a hundred different answers.

Not everyone's driving skill or experience is the same as yours (for the better of worse) and not everyone is in exactly the same financial situation as you (for the better of the worse) and no one knows how much stuff you want

I personally have flipped between European and RV several times. Currently on a RV phase.

have a good look around, listen to advice but make up your own mind

Good luck

Eddie

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
After doing it ourselves for 2 years in a Hymer S820 my advice is go much smaller.

In fact we saw quite a few people on year long/fulltiming in much smaller ones than our 8.33metre Hymer. I was quite envious of them, especially with getting around the big cities/fuel consumption/parking on Stellplatze/CL's etc.

Paul.

Kazrob

Free Member
Oct 6, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
New to this

Hi my husband and I are also contemplating selling up lock stock and barrel and buying a winterised motorhome to live in and travel down through Spain for the winter months. :roflmto: we are fed up of working our socks off and not getting anywhere. Anyway I am digressing, we have a small autosleeper Harmony (old bless her) and after doing a lot of research we were thinking German motorhomes were the way to go but the new swift is lovely it will pay you to write down what you actually require ie: fixed or twin beds, seperate shower/toilet, cooker etc anyway good luck and have fun:thumb: we can't wait to make the move and leave the rat race behind.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
There is an alternative to RV or Eurobox, a nice truck conversion, we thought long and hard when deciding to move on from a caravan. We found out after five years fulltiming in a caravan they are in no way built for the job, way to flimsy, and floors far from strong enough to with stand lots of use. Bearing this in mind and the fact that most eurovans are built on the same principle and methods these were soon discounted from our choices. Thought about RV's but again these are really geared up for use in the USA where sites are designed for them, they also don't seem to be very well insulated lot's of issues re running costs and spares etc, but lovely whilst on site and more than capable of living off site in one for at least a couple of weeks. again we decided not for us. This is where the truck came into the forefront I had already built a couple in the past for customers and thought it would be a good solution to our problem, the search started and we came across an ex prison transport vehicle Iveco Eurocargo 75 E 17 and made our minds up that it would make an ideal base vehicle, really well built and insulated box, build our own conversion so exactly as we wanted it ( as much as funds would allow),economical around 18 - 20 mpg, whole thing stands us at less than £14,000 five months later we were living in it and have been ever since. a few pictures here Broken Link Removed

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Chaser -Thanks for the plug for 'How Katie Pulled Boris - Travels with an American Motorhome (RV) in Europe' the Ebook is available on Amazon - the new version paperback is available at Feed-a-Read and listed on Amazon for future delivery.

Although it's my own book I think you would find it valuable.

Our situation was very similar Had a 32ft (10metre) RV and did four 6-month winter tours round France and Spain towing a car. Very enjoyable (only two of us) and although we rarely booked ahead it was always a concern what we would find on arrival at a site - could we get in, park up, dispose of waste, have enough electric to run the thing. The car was a necessity as we like to explore rather than sitting stationary. So bigger hops in the RV to allow exploratory expeditions in the car.

My wife had a concern that if anything 'happened' to me she couldn't drive the RV either legally or, practically. A twisted ankle after a few too many Sangrias might do it!

We made a dramatic switch to a 5.6 metre Sprinter van conversion by HRZ Reisemobile of Germany. With a pull down double bed we avoided having to make the bed up before we could sit down. It had a good-sized shower separate to the loo so we didn't shower the toilet. It had a fridge, cooker, LPG generator, inverter, 2 full-sized LPG bottles and Gaslow etc fully insulated and and lots of heated storage. The bodywork was only punctured by the diesel fill, LPG fill and heater exhaust (the RV leaked many times despite constant repair)

As a result we were totally independent and could go anywhere a car could go. Yes, an extreme step and you may not want to go that small but we managed a six-month winter tour to Italy and Sicily wild camping or using sostas and did the Morocco trip. We also lived in it for 3 months between houses. It was a newfound freedom and we felt that was what motorhoming was all about.

Each is a different kind of experience, both enjoyable and if your attitude is right and you just set out to have fun you will.

Keith

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have an RV and really enjoy our time away. Not only do we have our twin boys, we normally take at least one of their school friends (oh, and I almost forgot our boisterous parrot, Bingo!!).

Without the space and slide out of the RV, we would end up driving each other mad. However, If it was just my wife and myself, we would go for a smaller, diesel engined Eurovan. The RV is a little bit too restricted on where it can go.

OP
OP
C

christinekontiki

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
doncaster
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 660
Exp
since 2012
Thanks to all - have purchased the book as recomended and love it. Great read and its really funny too.

Thanks again:thumb:

RVT

Free Member
Feb 28, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Fleetwood
Exp
Touring in an RV

We are now on our second RV the first was a Coachman 32Ft and now we have a 42ft Fleetwood with 3 side outs. We have travelled all over Europe and up as far as Sweden. The worst country for roads is undoubtedly the UK, The European road network is absolutely no issue at all.
We used to also book ahead but now we don't bother, obviously you wont be able to fit in to all campsites as they have a limit of 10M2. But that said we never seem to have a problem parking up.

The luxury and comfort you get when the sides are out and the jack are down far out ways any parking issues. I am of course bias as i haven't owned a European motorhome so I donut have anything to compare it with.

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
It's a matter of personal choice but how much room do you need? If you downsize - static is a great idea for the summer months - surely travelling around in an auto trail would be sufficient. Lots of people live in their MH. Why not give it a go in the Auto Trail & then if you find it's too small change at a later date, rather than rushing into it & then regretting it - I imagine those bigger ones are more difficult to sell if you make a mistake.

I personally wouldn't like to live in the big American type ones as there are definitely areas in France etc which would struggle to take them but as you said, you don't intend to travel too much. And if the weather is good (which I assume you are looking) then will you not mainly be sleeping in it?

It's a great idea & I'm sure you will love the lifestyle - freedom!

Dot

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
:Blush: OOPS - Swift Kontiki.

And don't forget the diesel to calculate in those bigger models - I think they do ridiculously low mileage to the gallon.

D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just bought the book for my DH. Wonder what he will say when he sees the title!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've owned 3 Rvs two here and one in USA and loved them but to be honest the only benefit is when they're parked as all that extra space is lovely, totally unnecessary but lovely nonetheless.
Would we buy another yes if they made one at European width with decent winterisation and decent mpg but they're as rare as hens teeth. If we were going to buy we wouldn't pay inflated UK prices, we'd have a weeks holiday in Florida and buy one to ship back and save a fortune.
As we don't like to plan ahead and prefer to be spontaneous owning an RV was very difficult and we got sick of being turned away when we just turned up somewhere we fancied. Add to that fuel costs at 6 or 7 mpg on petrol or 10 or 12 mpg on diesel it seriously restricted our travel options.
The choice to change to a European van was a big step and not one we were sure we'd like but happily has turned out to be the best decision we made. Our van has fantastic winterisation we've used it in minus 27c no problems at all, good mpg 25 ish and has never been turned away wherever we've gone.
Rvs are great but just be aware of the limitations.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have an RV and really enjoy our time away. Not only do we have our twin boys, we normally take at least one of their school friends (oh, and I almost forgot our boisterous parrot, Bingo!!).

Without the space and slide out of the RV, we would end up driving each other mad. However, If it was just my wife and myself, we would go for a smaller, diesel engined Eurovan. The RV is a little bit too restricted on where it can go.

Hi kex66 I see you have a Daybreak 3270 great bus we had the same model (2004) with a diesel engine and big front slide. Had it 4 years did over 30k in it toured Europe even took it to Morocco only issue was the width and it wasn't great in very cold weather. Still our favourite RV of the 3 we owned far better than a new 2008 Monaco we had.

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi kex66 I see you have a Daybreak 3270 great bus we had the same model (2004) with a diesel engine and big front slide. Had it 4 years did over 30k in it toured Europe even took it to Morocco only issue was the width and it wasn't great in very cold weather. Still our favourite RV of the 3 we owned far better than a new 2008 Monaco we had.

Totally agree, we love it and ours has the optional Arctic Pack so double glazing and extra insulation. We are going to put it up for sale on one of the classified sites but the only reason we're selling is to pay for the 1947 Flxible Clipper restoration I'm funding at the moment in California ( http://47clipper.blogspot.co.uk/ ). Otherwise we'd keep it for a few more years.

The way I see it, RV's and Eurovans are part of the same familly, just aimed at different people. We like the space of the RV but when the kids go off and do their own thing, a Eurovan will definitely be on the cards.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just read your blog
What a fantastic story I love your attitude your as crazy as me. :thumb:
Hope it gets finished I'll keep an eye on it.
Good Luck :thumb::thumb:

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just read your blog
What a fantastic story I love your attitude your as crazy as me. :thumb:
Hope it gets finished I'll keep an eye on it.
Good Luck :thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the comments. I think we should finish it now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My beloved and I have decided that we have had enough of the rat race and after doing a few sums, have come up with the idea (like many others it seems) that if we get rid of the house and car we can afford to bog off and drop off the system spending winter months in Europe spending money and summer (!) back home working to save up and go again when the weather changes.
Think VERY CAREFULLY about doing this ... we saved and saved for a long time, and especially so in the last 8 years, to be able to leave work early. We still have our bungalow so weren't looking to go full time in a MH/RV so had to ensure that we had enough funds WITHOUT selling it to be able to live on for 10 years at least. It is okay to say that you have done a few sums and will work in the winter here to get money to travel again in the summer but that is by no means a certainty especially in today's job climate. Whilst I can totally appreciate the appeal of doing what you are suggesting the reality could prove to be less 'rose tinted' in reality, especially if you don't get enough funds whilst working to 'survive' the whole year. The other question is what if something happens and you need to be in a 'base' due to illness/injury ... it is stressful enough when in a house, but in a camper could prove difficult. Please, please do your sums again as accurately as you can, then add on some more as a safety margin/'what if' contingency fund. Have you for example checked the situation regarding your work and state pension? When can you get them and how much will it be? You may not intend to 'take' them immediately but your actions now may have quite major effects on what you get in the future depending on your contributions to date and obviously your age.

The other option is keep the kontiki and have a static back here in UK as a base. Lee thinks we wont have enough room in the camper for staying in europe 6 months at a time. I must admit, having had a look, the RV is impressive and the space is desirable, but ........
This would possibly be the way to go, even just renting somewhere for 6 months back in the UK rather than committing to buying a static home. You need to do some research on the pitfalls of owning a static, especially the ground/service charge and the charges if you come to sell it in the future as the site owner will take a big cut out of the selling price as it's not like selling your own 'bricks and mortar' home.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
our twopenneth is...

FACT...you always want more...

Couldn't start this journey any smaller than us. We had a two man tent, lovedthe great outdoors but then bought a bigger tent, wanted more so then bought a Trailer Tent absolutely loved that too.

Reluctantly (me that is) we bought our first caravan, but I did like it in the end, but wanted a fixed bed. So bought another caravan with a double dinette, so used one end to make up a fixed bed, was good and fit for purpose, but there is always a compromise and it was the bathroom. Very small and not robust! so bought our third caravan. For me it was the Dogs B's...

I loved this one, had everything I wanted, but he who thinks he knows best eventually got fed up of dragging and wanted a MH. I dug my heels in for quite some time, but after a couple of years I gave in.

Well actually it was all down to my beautiful mother. (In short she had a very serious stroke, her life has changed beyond compare for the worse, and made me realise you do not know what is around the corner)

So along came our biggest outlay of all time, it actually cost us more than our house did! but we made the plunge and we re-mortgaged but have to say not once have i regretted it. But again no fixed bed, so a year later we upgraded to the one we had always dreamt of but never ever thought it would be within our grasps, The Autotrail Chieftan, had the fixed bed the big fridge, big garage etc etc and we were happy, but and a big but we have two border collies, one of whom is rather large, and they are both like a pair of slippers. wherever we were, they would be at the end of our feet.

So you can see whats coming, once more we upgraded and now own a wonderful 34' RV with the slide out. Yes we realise there are occassions when you need to forward plan and perhaps make the occassional phone call, big deal!

We have used the ferry and gone across to France, we stayed on several aires, no problem. Yes we realise there are a few places we cannot get too, but there are many many more places that we still can. More than enough for us so far.
We know eventually we will down size, but whilst we can and do make use of our RV we are very happy.

Never wanted to be those people that say "I wish I had"
Euro vans and RV's are both great, and they all have there place in the market, you just need to find out what works for you.

People shy away from RV's saying they are too expensive to run, but motorhomes aren't cheap to run either. Yes RV's may cost you more to run, but it really is swings and roundabouts. The space obviously comes at a price, but if that is affordable to you then not a problem is it.

We are more than happy with our lot, but when the time comes we will down size, and hopefully be just as happy with that. But we will have had no regrets, and hopefully made lots of beautiful memories.

Once you have made your first initial big step, it seems much easier to make more. Good luck, and enjoy whatever you end up doing!:thumb:

Andrea n Jeff

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
go for a smaller one and spend more time out doors ::bigsmile: