Middle lane hoggers (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
It's about two months now since the new law came in amidst a wave of controversy about prosecuting middle lane hoggers, the consensus was that it couldn't be policed, has anyone heard of a prosecution?

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
Ive not heard of any one being prosecuted, but I wish they would.
It`s so annoying, and slows the motorways up so much.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Police

They can't be everwhere but come the day!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Does not seem to have made a scrap of difference on the roads.

I was stuck behind a blonde bimbo yesterday on the M20. 55mph in the middle lane with both the other lanes empty:Doh:

I must confess that I rolled right up behind her and got right up to her bumper to wait for her to look in her mirror.

She must have thought her lipstick was smudged because eventually she did look in the mirror, pulled over and gave me the finger.

Once I had passed she pulled back out:Doh:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
20 second rule?

So..when does one become a hogger? On most motorways, there are effectively three streams of traffic - say 55-60 on the inside, 60-70 in the middle and 65-75+ on the outside. I find it equally dangerous when someone, presumably in an attempt to obey the HC, darts from one lane to the next.

We all have our own view as to how long it is 'reasonable' to stay centre lane rather than returning to inside. Out of interest, I started to time my own efforts. Turned out that if it was going to take me 20 seconds or less to catch up with the next vehicle on the inside, I'd stay in lane 2. The gaps that seemed too long to stay in lane 2 turned out to be over that time.

Hogging or sensible? What's your hogging threshold?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Strange how you say lane hogger's exist yet no-one ever owns up to doing it. The law of averages states that some of you criticizing others must be hogger's yourselves. Come on own up, or are you the only driver totally without vices.
Must be good to be the perfect Fun driver.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I was stuck behind a blonde bimbo yesterday on the M20. 55mph in the middle lane with both the other lanes empty:Doh:

I must confess that I rolled right up behind her and got right up to her bumper to wait for her to look in her mirror.

She must have thought her lipstick was smudged because eventually she did look in the mirror, pulled over and gave me the finger.

Was there anything stopping you from glancing into your mirror indicating then moving out into the empty third lane. Just wondered because that is what I would have done. Am I missing something, how were you stuck behind her.:RollEyes:

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Was there anything stopping you from glancing into your mirror indicating then moving out into the empty third lane. Just wondered because that is what I would have done. Am I missing something, how were you stuck behind her.:RollEyes:

Nothing at all to stop me Buttons.

I was trying to educate the stupid cow.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

So many of them around, though frequently in some sort of Honda jazz/civic.

Following on from above posts, yes, I will put my hand up and admit that I've stayed in the middle lane, usually when steering with my knees whilst trying to answer the phone and simultaneously take notes and drink a hot costa coffee* Completely justified of course as it is much safer like that with an empty lane either side..........

Seriously, I think it is a bit like exceeding the speed limit - on occasions it is something we all do without intending to do so. Generally make a point of pulling in promptly

*just in case anyone is going to dob me in to the rozzers, that was a joke - I would never drink costa coffee whilst driving, or indeed any other time.:winky: don't do the others either, we have a strict H&S policy as well as obeying the law.

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009

So why didn't you overtake on the outside lane? seems a rather dangerous manouver to performs for the sake of finding out how often she used her mirror. :Eeek:
Reminds me of the days when faster approaching traffic from behind used to flash their lights as if to say the road ahead should be cleared for ME. :Doh:
As for me I use the lane that is suited to my driving speed. :thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I THINK FUNSTERS MUST BE THE BEST DRIVERS! BUSBY:ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
So why didn't you overtake on the outside lane? seems a rather dangerous manouver to performs for the sake of finding out how often she used her mirror. :Eeek:
Reminds me of the days when faster approaching traffic from behind used to flash their lights as if to say the road ahead should be cleared for ME. :Doh:
As for me I use the lane that is suited to my driving speed. :thumb:

See answer above.

It's the law - observe it:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Sounds like you were putting yourself and the other driver in unnecessary danger for what. Sorry I dont understand your motive.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds like you were putting yourself and the other driver in unnecessary danger for what. Sorry I dont understand your motive.

So road users should just put up with pathetic driving?

Part of road safety is being aware of what's around you.

That's why the police are supposed to be policing this sort of selfish and dangerous driving.

If she had stayed in the middle lane I would have passed her on the inside.

Dangerous in itself of course but clearly some people ( and posters) need educating.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more

:thumb:

I know it's wrong but I tend to over take those sort of people on the inside, they normally then pull over::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Youv'e lost me -- I dont understand your logic. ::bigsmile:

My "logic" is this:

if there is nothing inside you so you are not overtaking, pull into the left hand lane. It's an overtaking lane, not a lane to dawdle in.

Your speed is completely irrelevant to what lane you should be in.

the inside lane is not the " slow lane".

As I said it's the law so observe it.

Once you have understood it obviously.

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
So road users should just put up with pathetic driving?

Part of road safety is being aware of what's around you.

That's why the police are supposed to be policing this sort of selfish and dangerous driving.

If she had stayed in the middle lane I would have passed her on the inside.

Dangerous in itself of course but clearly some people ( and posters) need educating.

Wouldn't you break the law for undertaking?
I wonder how many accidents over the years have been the cause of serious pile ups on motorways by people performing that manouver.
:Eeek: What frightens me more is; I use that motorway, I dont relish the idea of being on the same stretch of road as you at any time.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I don't condone middle lane hogging BUT it is not the other motorists job to police this!!! As has been pointed out they can be an accident waiting to happen! :Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Wouldn't you break the law for undertaking?
I wonder how many accidents over the years have been the cause of serious pile ups on motorways by people performing that manouver.
:Eeek: What frightens me more is; I use that motorway, I dont relish the idea of being on the same stretch of road as you at any time.

If you observe the law I promise you won't even notice me.

You aren't by any chance the blonde driver of a silver Astra are you?

If so PM me and I will mail you a copy of the Highway Code:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Since getting my classical classic Hymer 660S I have become a permanent lane hogger.

Once on the motorway I pull into the slow lane and speed along at between 80 and 90 (kph).

Everything has to sweat away overtaking me, mirror, signal, manoeuvre... but not me. I go hundreds and hundreds of miles and never overtake anything. :thumb:

I am heading towards death but I am not in a hurry to get there.

JJ :Cool:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004

I say again it is NOT your place to police what others do. YOU are the accident waiting to happen!!! :RollEyes:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

[HI]
[/HI]

So if she was middle lane hogging, then by virtue of the fact that you were following her, right up her bumper you were guilty of two offences, lane hogging and tail gaiting and she only one.

Two wrongs never made a right.

Instead of getting uptight I just pass in the outside lane and get on with my journey. My journeys are often too long to allow myself to get so stressed.

Norman

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
:thumb:

I know it's wrong but I tend to over take those sort of people on the inside, they normally then pull over::bigsmile:

Of course it's wrong - but it is also usually effective at getting the message across, especially if someone overtakes at the same time. The myopic Mr Trilby Hatt in his elderly Honda civic probably wouldn't notice, though

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009

::bigsmile: No I'm not the blonde driver... although I do drive a silver E320 usualy in the fast lane.
I would appreciate an up to date copy of the highway code, my 1968 copy is rather out of date LOL

Safe driving ....

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
So if she was middle lane hogging, then by virtue of the fact that you were following her, right up her bumper you were guilty of two offences, lane hogging and tail gaiting and she only one.

Two wrongs never made a right.

Instead of getting uptight I just pass in the outside lane and get on with my journey. My journeys are often too long to allow myself to get so stressed.

Norman

That's normally what I do really Norman.

I don't get stressed over these things though believe me.

The posts on here demonstrate that the problems on our motorways are deep seated and clearly there is a need for education.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

[HI]I was trying to educate the stupid cow.[/[/HI]QUOTE]

Why? By what authority does one person have the right to educate another and no matter how many mistakes they make call them an offensive name they probably would not use if they were face to face.

Sorry Chris I feel in this case you are wholly in the wrong and have the potential for making a bad situation worse. I would leave policing to the blue light brigade.

Norman

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'll just say that if it were me with someone sitting in my boot on an empty motorway I would probably misinterpret your motive. I might think that you were bored and wanted to play silly games.:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back