LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I am trying to set up a home network on my windows 7 lappie so that we can both use our Nexus 7's by connecting (via wi fi) to the web via it.

Pffft struggling any help please.

(the reason is that the lappie is on a wi fi ariel which will not work with the Nexus) :Blush:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not sure what you mean by "home network" Ken. As far as I can remember (long time since I looked at it in detail) Workgroups and Homegroups within Windows only include Windows PCs and peripherals physically connected to them. Nexus tablets don't qualify.

I think what you need is a hub/router connected to the wifi system. Your laptop and tablets then connect to the Internet through the hub/router.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Did you see the thread a week or so ago that gave a "proper" solution to this. No extra software to load, no need for laptop when not using it.

WiFi aerial to Internet --> router re-transmits ---> up to 5 or 7 computers.

Link Removed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000mW-US...SB_Wi_Fi_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item3cce1d9a7a

Link Removed

Thanks Brian, internet been off n on for last month so missed a lot. Just looking at options at the moment the 3 deal looks good if they bring in France and Spain :thumb:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, if you have a wired internet connection to your laptop you can use your laptop as a hotspot (as long as you have a wireless card installed) without any further software.

Here is a video that shows what to do:

[ame]http://youtu.be/5EPHgWonJps[/ame]

If you are getting the internet on your laptop via a wireless signal, say from a 3G card you can do exactly the same as above.

Basically, you can only have one network running through a single WiFi device. If your laptop has built in WiFi and you have a 3G dongle this is two devices so the dongle receives a signal and your laptop card transmits a signal.

If you are using the wireless card in your laptop to receive the internet then you need a separate WiFi device to transmit your new network. A cheap USB WiFi dongle from Ebay will do this fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back