Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
I am about to change my roof vent for another with a fan, what is the best way to clean the (Sikaflex) type sealant which seems to get everywhere ????

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Ive used a De.Solv-it sealant remover kit. It removes acrylic and silicon sealer and available from Amazon.
Do as Pappajohn says and scrape off as much sealant as you can. Then apply the sealant remover, leave 20 minutes and the rest just wipes away.
Well, thats the theory. In practice, although it works, it needs a bit more elbow grease.
Never used it on Sikaflex but it should work.

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
We always use a non setting bedding mastic for roof vents something like this Broken Link Removed
depend how flat your roof is I tend to put two good thick beads around the vent flange using almost a tube per vent, when screwed dow or clamped depending on the vent fixing method plenty will squelch out around the edges, you should be able to scrape nearly all of this off using a plastic filler spreader or something similar any excess left a bit of white spirit on a clean rag or better still break cleaner. we found that the polyurethane mastics like sikaflex, tigerseal etc can eventually separate from the plastic letting water in. just noticed the link takes you to a grey coloured mastic, white is also available

Last edited:

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
You will find that sykaflex is not normally used as an original fit because it works so well and it is very time consuming to remove.
If you do have it fitted I use a commercial cheese wire and a couple of sort lengths of broom handle to make a hand held cutter. With this you can get all you need to remove from the van roof. Remember with sykaflex you need to leave a couple of mill thickness to obtain it's strength. If you pull it right down with the screws it does not have the same strength so make up some spacers to give you that gap and remember to put some more in those areas when you remove them.
I generally use thinners to degrease the area before applying new stuff, it drys really quick.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am about to change my roof vent for another with a fan, what is the best way to clean the (Sikaflex) type sealant which seems to get everywhere ????

bar far the best! Tec7 adhesive remover will not damage your plastic as its not chemically based, been using it for years:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back