MOTORHOME owners have returned to a Lincolnshire car park which had its height restri (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
MOTORHOME owners have returned to a Lincolnshire car park which had its height restriction barrier torn down.

Moggs Eye car park, between Anderby Creek and Sandilands, had its barrier forcefully removed during the weekend of September 21 and 22 for the second time in a few weeks.

Lincolnshire County Council recently installed barriers at various coastal car parks to prevent camper vans and motor homes from staying overnight.

On Sunday, local people reported seeing a group of motorhome owners gather in support of the last remaining vehicles to leave the neighbouring Huttoft car terrace where similar gates were recently erected.

Bob Palmer, from Nottinghamshire, is the owner of one of the motorhomes parked in Moggs Eye car park.

He said: "We are the salt of the country and this is one step too far.

"Not one official has come to speak to us - we want a full debate with a local councillor.

"We are not going away – we will be a thorn in their side."

Paul Marriott, a businessman from Spalding, said there was no evidence to suggest motorhome owners were responsible for the littering and damage to local amenities that had prompted a spate of complaints from local residents.

"Those people should have been policed and moved on, we are not just tinkers, vagabonds – we are genuine people.

"Unfortunately we are all being tarnished with the same brush.'

Other motorhome owners labelled the council's tactics as discriminatory and pointed to countries such as France, where motorhome-only sites provide access to local amenities and limit the duration of each stay, as a possible source of less contentious measures.

Some, such as Steve Darker, from Sheffield, say they are providing a vital contribution to the local economy.

He said: "We go shopping, we buy fish and chips, we spend our money here."

His wife, Sue Darker, suffers from Multiple Sclerosis and claims the barriers restrict her access to the beach.

"I have written to the council to ask for disabled access - we cannot park miles away and walk to the beach," she said.

Councillor Colin Davie, executive member for the environment at Lincolnshire County Council reiterated that the council would continue to use preventive measures to stop overnight use of the car parks and condemned the damage to the Moggs Eye barrier.

He said: "This is criminal damage, the actions of a minority group of people.

"The public want us to look after this site for the majority to enjoy - those who are still there will be removed."

"There are plenty of facilities for motorhome owners to stay in which support the local community

"These people are spoiling it for everyone because of their errant behaviour."

Reports from local residents suggest the barrier at Moggs Eye was later found metres away in the sea.

The police are investigating.

Broken Link Removed

Yellow belly

Free Member
Sep 26, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
While I don't agree with height restrictions in this country I don't see how anyone can agree with the criminal damage to them.
I am sure these motorhomers would be up in arms if someone had damaged their vehicles .
James

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I had just been reading on the wild camping forum about some of them using huttoft and the other areas for wild camping and stopping their for upto 2 weeks at at time with up to 30 vans and 2 caravans, now that's just taking the piss and no wonder the locals have complained, I live in the area and my council tax goes to the same council who have erected these barriers,
It just a small minority that spoil it for the many

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
There are plenty of ways to prevent overnight parking other than height barriers that prevent any type of parking for many motorhomers.

However criminal damage and removal of barriers is not the way forward and at the end of the day its the people living in that area, that end up paying the cost of the criminal damage through their council tax payments.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We were very disappointed that we could not enjoy the sections of the coast when we visited last week due to the height barriers. We stay on sites and shop in the areas but could not find anywhere to take Amanda to have a paddle in the sea as you know Amanda has some mobility problems and to walk through sand dunes and such made it impossible. May have to re think that part of the east coast in future, if the councils are not going to listen
and tarnish genuine visitors with motorhomes to their area.
:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Just as a comment from a yellow belly....

Lincolnshire County Council will listen to nobody....they are so far up themselves they need a telescope to see the sunshine that their mothers once thought they had shining from a certain orifice....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When will these people learn that if you hit somebody they hit you back rather than give in? Criminal damage will only harden the attitudes of the Lincolnshire councillors.

Over the last 5 or 6 weeks I've been in touch with something around 300 councils which did not publish motorhome parking information, encouraging them to do so on their web sites to make it easier for people to know where they can park (in the daytime at least).

Several councils have commented that, quietly and without fuss, they are actually looking at introducing overnight stopovers, putting together evidence of benefits and anticipating how to overcome potential problems/objections. As a result I have started providing information supporting the creation of stopovers, again quietly and without fuss.

As one said yesterday "The Council is aware of the importance of such vehicles and as a consequence is currently considering possibilities for making arrangements for motorhome stop overs in the District. It is regrettable but this matter has proved controversial and at times complex due to local concerns.".

What is likely to happen as a result of the criminal damage and selfishness of a few people is that those against stopovers in other areas will use the adverse publicity to reinforce those concerns and knock potential schemes on the head before they get going - and what will happen then is that those same selfish p*ll*cks will whinge about it without even having the gumption to realise that it is their activity which is the cause.

I despair sometimes. It really makes me want to just pack in anything other than simply enjoying our van :Angry:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just as a comment from a yellow belly....

Lincolnshire County Council will listen to nobody....they are so far up themselves they need a telescope to see the sunshine that their mothers once thought they had shining from a certain orifice....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So I take it that you did not vote for them?

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
What is likely to happen as a result of the criminal damage and selfishness of a few people is that those against stopovers in other areas will use the adverse publicity to reinforce those concerns and knock potential schemes on the head before they get going....

And I am sure Councils will use just this argument to oppose any motorhomes visiting their towns, when in effect they should look at why this is happening and think of ways to promote themselves and encourage tourism.

GJH also wrote.." When will these people learn that if you hit somebody they hit you back rather than give in? Criminal damage will only harden the attitudes of the Lincolnshire councillors"

While I wholeheartedly oppose almost any forms of criminal damage to make a point, the local Council isn't the Mafia. When people do things like this it is out of frustration and the Council should be thinking why this is happening and look at the wider picture.

On a good note, I just read that Canterbury City Council have opened up another overnight stop for motorhomes with designated parking and access to fresh water. ( no emptying facilities though as yet.)
An excellent example of forward thinking and one that makes me feel proud that I used to work alongside some of the people who are making these decisions.

So, other Councils ( Lincolnshire springs to mind) should be thinking how they can follow Canterbury's example, not how they can discriminate against an ever growing section of the population looking for somewhere to spend their disposable income.

Now, off soap box, wheres the red wine.....:wine:

Allan

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
While I wholeheartedly oppose almost any forms of criminal damage to make a point, the local Council isn't the Mafia. When people do things like this it is out of frustration and the Council should be thinking why this is happening and look at the wider picture.
(snip)

The point is that councils do look at the wider picture. They look at what is happening and see a number of motorhomers abusing facilities, which are there for everyone, to the extent that other people can't use them. They lump all motorhomers together because nobody amongst the people using those facilities has gone to them to paint a different picture.

Nobody amongst those motorhomers has gone to the council and suggested creating a stopover alongside, or as part of, the existing facility. Instead they have completely ignored the intentions of the council in creating the facility and simply taken what they want. The wider picture this presents to councils is that motorhomers who don't use caravan sites are people who just want something for nothing - because the people they see are all taking something for nothing.

It is no good people expecting just to be given what they want if they won't put any effort into explaining to those with the power of provision what it is they want. As I said the other day, just like the people who saved the canal network, those who want stopovers need to put in the effort to help create them, not just expect to be handed everything on a plate.

EDIT.
As I've pointed out several times, Canterbury is in a special position being on the route to/from the channel ports - a position few, if any, other English towns/cities enjoy.

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
EDIT.
As I've pointed out several times, Canterbury is in a special position being on the route to/from the channel ports - a position few, if any, other English towns/cities enjoy.

And the main reason Canterbury created the first UK Aire and recently a new stopover site right in the City Centre, was because of the amount of motorhomes, both Foreign and UK, passing through and stopping in the City, threatening to clog up the already narrow and busy roads.

The Council didn't receive letters and pleas from Motorhome owners asking for a stopover, they saw the issue, realised that it could get out of hand if they didnt do something, and created designated parking for motorhomes.
Much like the rest of Europe have done.

If only Councils in the rest of the UK could realise that their only role in life is to serve the people who vote for them

Allan

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And the main reason Canterbury created the first UK Aire and recently a new stopover site right in the City Centre, was because of the amount of motorhomes, both Foreign and UK, passing through and stopping in the City, threatening to clog up the already narrow and busy roads.

The Council didn't receive letters and pleas from Motorhome owners asking for a stopover, they saw the issue, realised that it could get out of hand if they didnt do something, and created designated parking for motorhomes.
Much like the rest of Europe have done.
Exactly. Other places in the UK do not have that transit demand so that issue does not apply to them. As the issue does not apply and demand has to be expressed in other ways.

If only Councils in the rest of the UK could realise that their only role in life is to serve the people who vote for them

Allan
Which is exactly what Lincolnshire County Council is doing. The story of these car parks has been played out in the local press - and highlighted here and on other forums - for months now. Lincolnshire County Council has received complaints from local people - the people who vote for them - that they can't use the places because they are clogged up with motorhomers and caravanners on extended stays.

Signs banning caravans and overnighting haven't worked so they have reacted by using barriers to ensure that the people who vote for them can be served in future.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Of course if local councils took the issue seriously and provided some hard standing not necessarily free, there may not be quite so many motorhomes visiting France, Germany and Spain.
We would certainly enjoy our own country more, the prices many UK sites want is just off putting in the extreme so we spend our money where we get best value.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
for months now. Lincolnshire County Council has received complaints from local people - the people who vote for them - that they can't use the places because they are clogged up with motorhomers and caravanners on extended stays.

Signs banning caravans and overnighting haven't worked so they have reacted by using barriers to ensure that the people who vote for them can be served in future.

Do you work for Lincs CC?:RollEyes:

With their ( the Councils) attitude, then I am not surprised they have this problem. They appear to me to be the direct cause of it.
Providing specific parking for motorhomes would allow them to put height barriers and signs everywhere else they do not want motorhomes ( again, surprisingly, just like the rest of Europe).

Geographical location has nothing at all to do with this problem. Its the amount of motorhomes visiting the locale, for whatever reason, that should be the catalyst to Councils acting responsibly and doing something positive to welcome its visitors.
Tintagel in Cornwall has a Licenced Motorhome stopover point ( Aire) and so has Oxford. Far away from any cross channel ferries. What about the aires in Scotland, again, none near ferry terminals.

But, it seems, apart from the Brit Stops network and a few other enterprising companies and individuals, not many people in the UK like Motorhomers who decide not to stay on a campsite. I often wonder why foreigners come here. Nowhere to stay, unless you book well in advance in the summer and no where to shop with height barriers and signs everywhere.

:hardhat:

Allan

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Skegness barriers

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Its my belief that after all the trouble with travellers this summer all the carparks and laybys have had barriers erected to keep travellers out,long stay motor homers have just added to the problems, some of the locals wanting to park have complained about motorhomes parking longways along the seafront and depriving them of a view of the sea.
Alan

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
this subject of height barriers at Huttoft has been subject of posts before and this is because of people ignoring signs forbidding overnight camping.
there has never been a problem using this area for day visits.
hazel a I often spend a quite Sunday there.
Now it is ruined for everybody. I do wish the local council had tried another method of policing this or even charging for overnight stays but no a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

theberties

Free Member
Sep 25, 2013
west midlands
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
20+
I have to agree with Graham, we are out own worst enemires at times, why do some motorhomers think that by breaking the law it will improve things for us?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Do you work for Lincs CC?:RollEyes:

With their ( the Councils) attitude, then I am not surprised they have this problem. They appear to me to be the direct cause of it.
Providing specific parking for motorhomes would allow them to put height barriers and signs everywhere else they do not want motorhomes ( again, surprisingly, just like the rest of Europe).

Geographical location has nothing at all to do with this problem. Its the amount of motorhomes visiting the locale, for whatever reason, that should be the catalyst to Councils acting responsibly and doing something positive to welcome its visitors.
Tintagel in Cornwall has a Licenced Motorhome stopover point ( Aire) and so has Oxford. Far away from any cross channel ferries. What about the aires in Scotland, again, none near ferry terminals.

But, it seems, apart from the Brit Stops network and a few other enterprising companies and individuals, not many people in the UK like Motorhomers who decide not to stay on a campsite. I often wonder why foreigners come here. Nowhere to stay, unless you book well in advance in the summer and no where to shop with height barriers and signs everywhere.

:hardhat:

Allan
No I don't work for Lincs CC. Why on Earth should anyone make that assumption? I've just researched the subject for over 7 years so can see the wider picture.

Of course geographical location has something to do with it. Canterbury deals with traffic passing through. In other places stopovers (St Annes for instance) exist because people have taken the trouble to contact local councils in places which they want to stay. We also have around 4000 CLs/CSs which continental countries don't have.

You mention Tintagel. Apart from there and Ambleside how many privately owned (legal) stopovers are there? If there is so much benefit (profit) to be gained why aren't private individuals/companies falling over themselves to open stopovers? The existing council stopovers (and those under consideration as I mentioned earlier) are in places where there are shops and other businesses which might benefit.

Let's just imagine how Lincolnshire CC might provide stopovers in those, relatively remote, car parks.
Dear council tax payer,

As you have probably seen, a number of motorhome owners have decided that the law does not apply to them so have been overnighting for free at Huttoft and other car parks, despite signs telling them not to. This activity is overloading the toilets there and means there is no space for other day visitors (many of whom are local people like yourself).

So we have decided to accede to the demand and provide specific parking for motorhomes. Obviously this comes at a cost and, like all other councils, our budgets are being cut.

We have considered making a charge for use of the stopover but none of the people using the car parks illegally has actually bothered to give us any evidence of how popular it would be in that case. Therefore, we are concerned:
1. That many of these people will simply go elsewhere rather than have to pay.
2. The cost of employing people to ensure that people pay will be more than the revenue gained.

So, could you please indicate your preferred funding option:
1. Raise council tax.
2. Close more libraries.
3. Slash the social services budget.
4. A N Other.

If people provide councils with evidence that stopovers would provide more benefits than they cost then there is a chance of some being created. To simply say councils must provide it off their own bat when they have no idea of the potential benefits is simply a cop out and will achieve nothing.

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
this subject of height barriers at Huttoft has been subject of posts before and this is because of people ignoring signs forbidding overnight camping.
there has never been a problem using this area for day visits.
hazel a I often spend a quite Sunday there.
Now it is ruined for everybody. I do wish the local council had tried another method of policing this or even charging for overnight stays but no a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Having stayed overnight several times at Huttoft on our way thru' Lincs. on various trips I was under the impression that the no overnight rule was for caravans, but nevertheless the area was starting to look like a travellers site with all the long stayers. I really do not blame the council for taking action but an opportunity has been missed to bring in some much needed revenue by charging an overnight fee and restricting the length of stay. They could also limit the number of vans so there is plenty of room for cars to park.:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having stayed overnight several times at Huttoft on our way thru' Lincs. on various trips I was under the impression that the no overnight rule was for caravans, but nevertheless the area was starting to look like a travellers site with all the long stayers. I really do not blame the council for taking action but an opportunity has been missed to bring in some much needed revenue by charging an overnight fee and restricting the length of stay. They could also limit the number of vans so there is plenty of room for cars to park.:Smile:

According to the current Byelaws Here and Here
No person shall without the consent of the Council erect a tent or use a vehicle, caravan or any other structure for the purpose of camping except in a designated area for camping.
No person shall without the consent of the Council leave or cause or permit to be left any motor vehicle in the grounds between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
so that includes motorhomes.

It's interesting to see, from reading various reports on the web, that when the byelaws were changed earlier this year there was actually no intention to erect barriers. Barriers have only been erected subsequently because of continued abuse by people who think they aren't subject to the law.

As to a chance to bring in some much needed revenue being missed, is that the case? How much revenue would be generated (even assuming everyone paid)? How much would it cost to install the necessary ticketing machinery? How much would it cost to employ staff to enforce payment, length of stay and ensure that the limit on number of vans is not breached? Perhaps anyone who has those figures can take them to Lincolnshire County Council and show that a stopover scheme would be, at the least, cost neutral.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
this area has an abundance of CL'S, CS'S, Caravan club sites , Caravan and Camping Cub sites, and then all the independent sites whom i presume all pay council tax and Business rates to the council , some of these sites are with in a 1 mile radius of the parking places that have had the barriers put up, if i lived closer or had a business there and this was happening in my back garden i would be complaining to

we have been in the car and taken fish and chips for dinner only to find motor homes parking length ways across the bays with awnings out and all the chairs and tables , gray waste just emptying on to the concrete , with only half a dozen spots left for cars , i have been sea fishing there at night to see them have fires on the beach , empty there toilet cassettes in the dunes and stuff the rubbish in the bins , but if these were full it was left at the side to be blown about

to coin a fraze that someone else said , its the free loading tossers that have spoilt it for the people that follow the rules and not the council

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
motorhomers

View attachment 20536

View attachment 20537

Its my belief that after all the trouble with travellers this summer all the carparks and laybys have had barriers erected to keep travellers out,long stay motor homers have just added to the problems, some of the locals wanting to park have complained about motorhomes parking longways along the seafront and depriving them of a view of the sea.
Alan

Having been there a couple of weeks ago, no residents are deprived a view of the sea as the tall sand dunes are in the way
:ROFLMAO:

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
barriers

:cry:We went to Scotland and stayed at Fort William in a MOTORHOME CARPARK only but said no overnight stay ,Im sure proper motorhome people would pay say up to £5 a night and can only stay say 2 night max .Just think people need food and entertainment ,so that's bringing money into the place ,This thing about height barriers being removed ,not being funny but are we sure it was motorhomes people ??I definitely don't :Doh:.Keep on motor homing and take care ,Steve:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
:cry:We went to Scotland and stayed at Fort William in a MOTORHOME CARPARK only but said no overnight stay ,[HI]Im sure proper motorhome people would pay say up to £5 a night and can only stay say 2 night max [/HI].Just think people need food and entertainment ,so that's bringing money into the place ,This thing about height barriers being removed ,not being funny but are we sure it was motorhomes people ??I definitely don't :Doh:.Keep on motor homing and take care ,Steve:thumb:

Assuming that's correct, how many would do so in any given area? What level of take-up would be needed to justify the expenditure on providing and managing facilities? One of the main factors is that councils do not have that information and do not have the resources to undertake research to obtain the information.

There is, however, nothing to stop any individual putting together evidence that creating a stopover in a given area would provide more benefits than it would cost.

Sorry, that's wrong, there is something that stops it - that very few people are actually willing to put the effort in :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back