Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
This is my problem,,

I have a repeatit in the van, which was used on the last trip, but as there were few FON of wifi access proved not to be that good.
The second issue is when I go to my parents, the wifi signal there is poor and other wifi (FON) points are just too far for the internal wifi antenna is just not doing it,.

My thoughts is to go for one of these?

31hnQPn9Z-L.jpg

Any thoughts or any other suggestions?

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Last edited:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
I have had one for a short time so far so good

Bought off eBay item no 300609011551

EP-6528 RTL8187L High Powerful USB Wireless WIFI Adapter Card with 10DBI Antenna

Not had it long but so far so good only £7.81 if you decide to get one let us know:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have one of the Alfa systems with both size aerials but prefer to use either my "Rocket" which is for external use , or my Motorhome WiFi iBoost.

The Rocket is very powerful and is omnidirectional but only connects to one device via usb.

The iBoost is also external and more expensive but being directional takes a little more setting up. I prefer this though as it gives you your own wifi secure hotspot and can connect up to 5 devices.

On our recent French trip I could pick up and use wifi signals that were not even visible to my laptop.

Brian

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you have one of the original Repeatit antennas (like Link Removed) then this is an excellent antenna.

A directional antenna will always outperform and omni-directional antenna because if you think about it, as a receiver you're only interested in the signal from one location. An omni-directional antenna is both receiving everything in 360 degrees (and thus, in some locations, can be overwhelmed by the amount of RF noise) and likewise when its broadcasting back to the hotspot it's doing so in directions other then that of the hotspot. However if you are willing to compromise on a bit of range then it will of course be easier to setup.

I'd recommend using something like inSSIDer to help you to fine tune it. This updates in real time (unlike windows) and allows you to move the antenna and instantly see what improvement was made to the signal by doing so: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

The iBoost is also external and more expensive but being directional takes a little more setting up. I prefer this though as it gives you your own wifi secure hotspot and can connect up to 5 devices.

You can connect upto 99 devices to our iBoost :thumb:

Adam
http://www.motorhomewifi.com

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You can connect upto 99 devices to our iBoost :thumb:

Adam

My apologies, even better :thumb:..... that's why I have my user name:Doh:

It is an excellent piece of kit, on one particular site I could share my hotspot with a close friend in another unit when they were unable to see the site wifi.

Brian

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have something similar that I have always had taped onto the top of a brush stale fastened to the mirror arm. Am in the process this weekend of fixing it permanently to the roof of the van. Just waiting for the roof gland to arrive now. It does work very well on the likes of Tesco carparks and at the fringes of wifi signals.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ok, in February I am going to a campsite that has wifi. It has wifi at it's reception area. So presumably if I want to sit in my van and pick up the wifi from somewhere else in the van for 2 laptops my phone, ipad etc.... What will I need?

And how far will these booster things pick up a signal from, just the simple answer, 20 meter, 100 a mile? what is their spec.

thanks.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
at the saltfleet gala i used my alfa r36 and ariel and pick a signal up from a unsecured network that was nearly a 1/2 mile away , i know it was this distance because i now the house in the village

the ariel i use is this

Link Removed

and the alfa 36

Link Removed

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I second the iBoost. Fantastic bit of kit...

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
I have something similar that I have always had taped onto the top of a brush stale fastened to the mirror arm. Am in the process this weekend of fixing it permanently to the roof of the van. Just waiting for the roof gland to arrive now. It does work very well on the likes of Tesco carparks and at the fringes of wifi signals.

Would it be possible to stick an ariel in the top of one of the funster flags so that when we go to a rally so we can all benefit from, say Jim's wifi. :reel:

Seriously though has anyone thought of putting an ariel on the top of a flag pole to increase the signal strength.
Just a thought as we have many people who may have the knowledge to do this?

Atlantisbird
Harry

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Ok, in February I am going to a campsite that has wifi. It has wifi at it's reception area. So presumably if I want to sit in my van and pick up the wifi from somewhere else in the van for 2 laptops my phone, ipad etc.... What will I need?

And how far will these booster things pick up a signal from, just the simple answer, 20 meter, 100 a mile? what is their spec.

thanks.

Hi Paul, we go to Rutland Water a lot, and pick up wifi from a guest house the other side of the water no problem ever with our silver screens on ! :thumb:

You will not be disappointed with the iBoost, :winky: and if like us on sites in Spainand you pay for wifi, you log in using it, and have your own hot spot, and use all your iphones laptops no problem.:thumb:
You could even sell wifi to friends. :winky::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Hi Paul, we go to Rutland Water a lot, and pick up wifi from a guest house the other side of the water no problem ever with our silver screens on ! :thumb:

You will not be disappointed with the iBoost, :winky: and if like us on sites in Spainand you pay for wifi, you log in using it, and have your own hot spot, and use all your iphones laptops no problem.:thumb:
You could even sell wifi to friends. :winky::ROFLMAO: Bob.
I intend to buy the i boost please bare with me how can you attach to a wifi point in your case a guest house if it's password protected

Bill

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I intend to buy the i boost please bare with me how can you attach to a wifi point in your case a guest house if it's password protected

Bill

The iBoost will only increase the range from which you can receive a signal. If that signal is password protected then the iBoost isn't going to break into it for you (or we wouldn't be allowed to sell it!).

If you had the password then you would connect to the iBoost as normal via WiFi. The system is controlled via a web interface so you open your web browser and see the connections which the antenna can see. If you connect to one which requires a password, simply add it in the box marked password before you connect.

Adam

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
The iBoost will only increase the range from which you can receive a signal. If that signal is password protected then the iBoost isn't going to break into it for you (or we wouldn't be allowed to sell it!).

If you had the password then you would connect to the iBoost as normal via WiFi. The system is controlled via a web interface so you open your web browser and see the connections which the antenna can see. If you connect to one which requires a password, simply add it in the box marked password before you connect.

Adam
Thanks for that what the bit I could not understand was that the chap could use the Guest House wifi I would assume that the house would have it password protected,so to recap when on a caravan club site you have to pay for the wifi conn the only benefit is that you can use more than one device

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We've got one of these and it's been great - even when we go on sites where they say you can only get wifi at the bar (or wherever) we can still get a good signal in the van. Great piece of kit.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
We've got one of these and it's been great - even when we go on sites where they say you can only get wifi at the bar (or wherever) we can still get a good signal in the van. Great piece of kit.
Dude please explain to me you can pick up wifi spots only if they are not password protected

Bill

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for that what the bit I could not understand was that the chap could use the Guest House wifi I would assume that the house would have it password protected,so to recap when on a caravan club site you have to pay for the wifi conn the only benefit is that you can use more than one device

Sometimes people leave it unsecured, not knowing how far the signal can be received from in ideal conditions :) But yes, in the instances where there is a charge for the WiFi the iBoost will usually allow multiple devices to be used.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - sadly the CC do charge for wifi and it's a rip-off, if it does cost em what they charge for it, then they are probably being ripped off.

A LOT of campsites actually supply free (or rather, within your site fees) wifi in the bar or around reception and it will be password protected, so you go to said area and find out how to connect - and they'll give you the password.

Then you meander back to your van and employ your aerial which ought to find the flipping signal and connect in the normal manner. Alternatively if there is other civilisation in the area the aerial covers, some of their internet connections might be NOT password protected.

eg take the CC site at Minehead - houses on both sides of the entrance and opposite, whereas the camping part of the site goes up a hill behind the town - so you might perchance get an unprotected signal from somewhere else in the town.

Before we had a wifi router, our grandkids used to connect phones or lappies to an unprotected one in a 'Logistics' place on an industrial estate quite a way away. Which is mad as some phone networks can't find a telephone signal without going up our garden .....

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
What I have found with the external wifi antenna is that when you do have a poor signal, plugging the antenna in will amplify whatever signal you do have. For instance when there is wifi at reception on a campsite or Mcds or Tesco, you can sit in the comfort of your van and not have to wander around with your laptop with the masses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back