Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Hi Funsters

While our motorhome is being repaired our kids (feeling sorry for us) treated us to a surprise trip to Malta. Absolutely loved the place.

We saw these motorhomes:
MaltaMotorhome1.jpg

MaltaMotorhome2.jpg

MaltaMotorhome3.jpg

How feasible is it to take our own motorhome to Malta?
Anyone done it?
Anyone know anyone that has done it?
Anyone know anyone that knows someone that has done it?

thanks
Rog

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dont know about motorhomes but years ago I used to drive all the old trucks and MOT failiers from the UK out there and sell them to a guy in Valletta.I used to be sorry to admit most of the junk out there was down to me and my father but am now quite proud of the fact that so many Britsh classics have now been saved thanks in some part to us.
I had a friend that once bought a place out there and drove his elderly Morris 1000 out with no problem so I cant see a problem taking a motorhome out as long as you dont intend leaving it there.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
I have been to Malta twice and would love to go there so I did look into going there with our motorhome and I found that there is only 1 official campsite on Malta: http://www.maltacampsite.com/

The website has a section detailing their prices for motorhomes and caravans so other people has definately done it before.

I have not looked into ferry routes but I did find this link Link Removed and there might be other companies that also sails between Italy and Malta.

Rasmus

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
What about wild camping, is it allowed?

Rog

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi The bad news is free camping is not allowed on the islands, although some do seem to get away with it for the odd night. I understand it is even illegal to stay in a caravan or motorhome if it is on private land. As stated there is just the one official camp site. :Sad:

Travel down is fairly easy with the high speed catamaran from Pozzallo Link Removed and normal ferries from Catania and near Rome Link Removed .

I have driven down twice ( the last two September's) and intend to again this year but I do not use the motorhome on the islands as I have my own place on Gozo.

Mike - Currently at Malta airport waiting on a flight back to the UK.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We were there a month ago, saw one of those tranny based motor homes. Fabulous island loved it and the capital Valetta is a lovely city and its bus station a real experience :thumb::thumb::thumb:

petal

Free Member
Jul 28, 2010
Funster No
Motor Homes Malta

Personally I would say forget it - don't bother taking amotor home to Malta you won't be able to find anywhere to park up in summer. There is a campsite but it is very run down. This is another option if you have to take a motor home - http://campsite.scoutkeeper.net - you might be able to site your home here. Don't go to the Malta Campsite it is a complete disaster and you'll be ripped off. If you park anywhere you shouldn't the owner of the Malta Campsite will shop you to the authorities and you'll be fined. Malta is a very small island.!!:Eeek:

The Scout Camp is basic but near Golden Bay for those that know the Island - there are restaurants very close by and a very friendly place indeed. Check this out http://campsite.scoutkeeper.net

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Malta/Tourist_Traps-Malta-BR-1.html

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Malta/Warnings_or_Dangers-Malta-BR-1.html

Here are a couple of links worth a read before embarking on Wild camping, or motor home visit in Malta.

Hope this helps. Read some reviews on camping in Malta!!!

:Smile:

Hi Funsters

While our motorhome is being repaired our kids (feeling sorry for us) treated us to a surprise trip to Malta. Absolutely loved the place.

We saw these motorhomes:
MaltaMotorhome1.jpg

MaltaMotorhome2.jpg

MaltaMotorhome3.jpg

How feasible is it to take our own motorhome to Malta?
Anyone done it?
Anyone know anyone that has done it?
Anyone know anyone that knows someone that has done it?

thanks
Rog

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks to everyone that replied.

I guess the fancy dreams of motorhoming on the beach are off then, and it seems to be fairly close to a breakeven for six of us to drive vs flying and B&B.

Rog

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi more reviews here of the maltacampsite, most say its crap.
Link Removed

Olley

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Wow, some pretty bad reviews.... "like a tip":thumbdown:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Well....thank the lordy for the internet and MHF posters, I was considering taking the MH to Malta next year but it looks like a total non starter :cry::Eeek:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Well....thank the lordy for the internet and MHF posters, I was considering taking the MH to Malta next year but it looks like a total non starter :cry::Eeek:

AND very old... 2010 !! But I guess little has changed.. A PM to Gozomike may help..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks to everyone that replied.

I guess the fancy dreams of motorhoming on the beach are off then, and it seems to be fairly close to a breakeven for six of us to drive vs flying and B&B.

Rog

You can wild camp in your MH beside the harbour at Hartlepool ok if you like :thumb:

Just stick a couple of pictures of the above pictures in your van window and you will never know the difference !

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
You can wild camp in your MH beside the harbour at Hartlepool ok if you like :thumb:

Just stick a couple of pictures of the above pictures in your van window and you will never know the difference !
er.....um temperature....for a start:Eeek:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
AND very old... 2010 !! But I guess little has changed.. A PM to Gozomike may help..

March 2013 Tripadvisor report said of Adventure Campsite 'building site' it actually sounds worse:Eeek:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Went to Malta once, would not bother again.BUSBY::bigsmile: From what i can tell its like MARMITE, you either love it or hate it. Would not say i hated it but would not waste my money visiting again.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I spent a bit of time there at St Andrews Barracks, training the Kings Own Maltese Rifles and at Maleiha Bay(sp?) way back.

The Water was foul, Straight Street was no place for a god fearing Boy, (I spent most weekends there:ROFLMAO: ) the Buses were mostly OB Bedfords, how the drivers saw out the windscreen through all the religious statues and icons god only knows

Moska Dome (once again sp?) however was something else:thumb: the interior decoration is something to see:thumb:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We were impressed with Mdina and Valetta but as regards the rest of the island found it all a bit scruffy. As it's a very small island - not much bigger than the Isle of Wight - doesn't take to long before you keep retracing your footsteps. Great for snorkellng and obviously the weather though:Smile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We were minutes away from buying one of those in the first picture, a Transit Mk1 V4 based CI Motorhome. We travelled 50 miles to see it, got there when the dealers opened agreed to buy it, went to put down the deposit and were told it had been sold by another member of staff, who, allegedly didnt know we had prearranged to see it and paid a deposit!
Thankfully, the dealer went bust a few weeks afterwards.
Then, to add insult to injury, the guy who bought the van lived 50 metres away from my office, I could see it every day!

But, Malta is great, we were told the three rules of driving.
1. At night, turn your light on only when you see another vehicle approaching.
2, In daylight, you drive in the shade.
3, Never stop at a red traffic light.
!
Allan

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
We were minutes away from buying one of those in the first picture, a Transit Mk1 V4 based CI Motorhome. We travelled 50 miles to see it, got there when the dealers opened agreed to buy it, went to put down the deposit and were told it had been sold by another member of staff, who, allegedly didnt know we had prearranged to see it and paid a deposit!
Thankfully, the dealer went bust a few weeks afterwards.
Then, to add insult to injury, the guy who bought the van lived 50 metres away from my office, I could see it every day!

But, Malta is great, we were told the three rules of driving.
1. At night, turn your light on only when you see another vehicle approaching.
2, In daylight, you drive in the shade.
3, Never stop at a red traffic light.
!
Allan
well apart from the tip & building site official campsite, I guess that's another 3 reasons why not to take a reasonably new MH to Malta...... pity.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Ivys
We recently (February half term) hired a Villa for 10 of us and we had a great time. Island is small enough not to have to hire a mini bus and we bought a weekly bus pass which allowed unlimited bus travel. We had a great time and even in February the weather was good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back