Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it
I might have got this wrong but there seems to be a Caravan Club (CC) and a Camping & Caravan Club (CCC) ?

Can anyone recommend which would be the best to join for me with my converted van motor home please... it's all a bit confusing.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Simple really.
CC = Caravan Club
C&CC = Camping and Caravaning Club.
Guesed the difference.:ROFLMAO: Its Tents (camping):Doh:
As a Camper van you can do either, I think that the Caravan Club may require a photo as a conversion just to show that bit is a respectable looking job.
I am a member of both to give me a wider choice as I travel around.
Hope that helps.

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
I am also a member of both clubs and find the CC sometimes a bit stuffy and regimented and the CCC more laid back. Just my opinion of course.

ken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, they are both clubs with a long history and with hundreds of sites and there really isn't much to choose between them. The CC sites are all very well laid out but you can get the feeling that if you have been on one you have seen them all. Their wardens have a reputation for having a long suck on a lemon before they greet you :Smile: this might be true of a few, but most wardens are very nice.

The C&CC sites seem to be less formal and the wardens have a better reputation. Both clubs operate a very large network of small sites all over the country, the CC call them Certificated locations, and the C&CC have Certicates sites. They both offer additional schemes like insurance and recovery and you should look at there site to see what benefits might suit you. If you cannot choose between them then join both, that's what I did:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I might have got this wrong but there seems to be a Caravan Club (CC) and a Camping & Caravan Club (CCC) ?

Can anyone recommend which would be the best to join for me with my converted van motor home please... it's all a bit confusing.

hi euro,

both clubs are run along the same lines. both have their own campsites and 5 van sites. caravan club 5 van sites are known as 'certified locations' (CL) whilst the ccc are known as 'certified sites' (CS)

i think the 'subs' are about the same. around £30 per year.

the caravan club is run by a load of stuffed shirts in suits::bigsmile: but i cant comment on the ccc as i'v never been a member.

i would think they both have good and bad points.:winky:

they both offer discounts on ferries ect but you can normally find cheaper yourself.:Doh:

there is no 'prefered' club for any kind of camping, the choise is entirely yours.:thumb::thumb:

hope this helps you.

john.

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
We are in both but think that the Caravan Club is best. That however is our view and no doubt others will have their own thoughts. All I can say is that the Caravan Club has given us 30 years of happy Caravanning and Motorhoming through Club Sites, the C.L network and Rallies making many friends in that time. Whoever you join have fun and enjoy yourselves. :thumb::thumb:

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
We've been members of both two years, but have only ever managed to get onto two of the caravan club sites. I get the impression that it's a secret society
that is paid for by the entire membership but enjoyed by a chosen few. Take a look at the availability on the club sites. It's almost impossible to book a site at weekends in advance, without giving your PC mouse a funny handshake.

The CC&C seems a little more tolerant of members needs, showing no favouritism to anyone. They make the rules, dont you forget it.

S

stagman

Deleted User

I have been a member of the Caravan Club for over ten years ,now that has to say something,never been a member of CCC .The monthly mag is excellent sure it would cost you £3 if it was sold at the newsagent,the sites are brilliant and the wardens I have met have always been very proffesional in their work.CL sites fantastic,great web site loads info ,all that is worth the subs in itself.Don,t bother with ferry discounts ,insurance ,special offers etc.I like it can't say no more.:thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I've been a member of The C&CC Club for 7 years now and never had any problems.

All their staff are friendly and helpful and really enjoyed the stays.:thumb:

Facilities are clean and well cared for.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We've been with both clubs for ages.:Mellow:
The caravan club is a caravanners club, though that's a bit fuzzy - (quite a while ago now) we were accepted with our Dandy, which a lot of people would have called a trailer tent - and of course motor homes are considered caravans.
The Camping and Caravan Club accepts any sort of habitation, be it tent, trailer tent, caravan or motor caravan.
This difference has probably influenced the difference in member profile. Young couples with young families are probably less able to afford a caravan / tug combination or a motorhome, so buy tents. Those that can afford them would probably be older, with grown up families, so may gravitate towards a club that suits their requirements.
Somebody said, when asked what was the difference, that the C&CC had more children and the CC had more dogs; a bit flip perhaps, but by and large true. Then of course there are the exceptions......::bigsmile:
Both clubs have a huge network of sites and CLs (which has already been mentioned) and for the most part we have been happy with both. On balance I thing the CLs from the CC are slightly better that the CSs from the C&CC, but the Club Sites of the CC club can tend to be more regimented, with hard standings all over the place - which I am not too keen on as I prefer to go barefoot around the MH - but some of the C&CC sites will position you to the inch in order to maintain the regulation 6 metres between units.
So my suggestion would be to join both, try both, see if you prefer one over the other and after a couple of seasons and different places ditch one or both or stay with both.
And don't forget the Motor Caravanners Club is out there as well. (Yep, I'm a member of that too - Sad or what:Blush:)

John

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I have been a member of the Caravan Club for over ten years ,now that has to say something,never been a member of CCC .The monthly mag is excellent sure it would cost you £3 if it was sold at the newsagent,the sites are brilliant and the wardens I have met have always been very proffesional in their work.CL sites fantastic,great web site loads info ,all that is worth the subs in itself.Don,t bother with ferry discounts ,insurance ,special offers etc.I like it can't say no more.:thumb:

I am a member of both but have to say I agree with above. Never had to deal with a stroppy warden they have all been great and the sites immaculate. ::bigsmile:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Been members of both for more years than I want, or can, remember. :roflmto:

CC&C give discounts for over 50's which we find useful otherwise I agree with most of the other comment made.

Best to try them yourself, & do try the CC CL's as we think they are the best reason for joining the CC. :thumb:

On club sites it is sometimes intersting to watch some of the antics, like why don't people wash up in their vans? :ROFLMAO:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Been members of both for more years than I want, or can, remember. :roflmto:

CC&C give discounts for over 50's which we find useful otherwise I agree with most of the other comment made.

Best to try them yourself, & do try the CC CL's as we think they are the best reason for joining the CC. :thumb:

On club sites it is sometimes intersting to watch some of the antics, like why don't people wash up in their vans? :ROFLMAO:

Hi we have been in both for years. Both very good and always pleasent. Join both and get twice the choice of sites. :thumb:

OP
OP
E

euro

Free Member
May 23, 2008
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are new to it
Thanks for ALL the informative answers. It does seem like joining both is the best option, at least for the first year. Now I need to supply photos and get my credit card out ::bigsmile:

1 more question.. The CC 'MayDay' breakdown policy, does anyone know if it covers travel in europe (or if not, can it be extended to cover europe). The Premium policy with personal cover added seems like a good deal as we have 4 vehicles in this household. Brittania Rescue (through CSMA) would not cover my van as its a self build which id 0.1 metres too long at 5.6 metres:cry:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Purely an after thought. Allthough I am a member of both clubs, the one that I have stayed with the most, and got the most enjoyment from is

Motorhome Fun UK:ROFLMAO:

For the best company, the best friendliest mob.

Come along and try them.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Purely an after thought. Allthough I am a member of both clubs, the one that I have stayed with the most, and got the most enjoyment from is

Motorhome Fun UK:ROFLMAO:

For the best company, the best friendliest mob.

Come along and try them.

What better recommendation could any club wish for? :thumb:

John

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
Thanks for ALL the informative answers. It does seem like joining both is the best option, at least for the first year. Now I need to supply photos and get my credit card out ::bigsmile:

1 more question.. The CC 'MayDay' breakdown policy, does anyone know if it covers travel in europe (or if not, can it be extended to cover europe). The Premium policy with personal cover added seems like a good deal as we have 4 vehicles in this household. Brittania Rescue (through CSMA) would not cover my van as its a self build which id 0.1 metres too long at 5.6 metres:cry:

CC Mayday does not cover travel in europe but they do what is called Red Pennant Insurance for continental travel. This can include Breakdown only or Breakdown and Health insurance as well. We use this for our travels abroad. It can cover single or annual trips. Hope this is of some help to you.:thumb:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Hi,I too am a member of both clubs and think there is little to choose between them,except,I like to rally when in England and the draw back with the Caravan Club is that you invariably have to book your place in advance.send a cheque etc and also you will need a centre booklet available at cost from each centre or you will never be able to find the venue in the first place as details of meets /rallies although advertised in the monthly magazine of the Caravan Club dont give enough detail of venue address etc. Where as the Camping and Caravanning Club publish a suplement to their magazine called Out And About and the fullest details of all meets are there and are extremely simple to follow,also all meets are listed for three months ahead.Wonderfull if like me you travell a lot and need forward information.Most meets with the CCC are unbookable and you will always get in and receive a warm welcome,they also list their holiday sites in the same manner and are well worth looking at .I actually hate booking anything as I believe that is what Motorhoming is about ,being able to roam at will and find places to stay on a whim ,cheaply safely and pleasant,so you pays your money.......as they say.Cheers Malc.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back