When are roads quietest travelling from North to ferry ports down south (1 Viewer)

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
I am planning my first journey across to the continent and wondered if I could
get some help with choosing the best times to set off on the journey? I am heading down from Lancashire and wondered what would be the quietest times on the road (other than the obvious night time run!) Have not booked my crossing yet so will be guided by those who have more knowledge than me! Have only recently got my first motorhome, so this is all new to me. Hope you can help, thanks in anticipation.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am planning my first journey across to the continent and wondered if I could
get some help with choosing the best times to set off on the journey? I am heading down from Lancashire and wondered what would be the quietest times on the road (other than the obvious night time run!) Have not booked my crossing yet so will be guided by those who have more knowledge than me! Have only recently got my first motorhome, so this is all new to me. Hope you can help, thanks in anticipation.

hi,

should be quietest during the week (mon to fri) after the morning rush (7am--9am) and before the evening rush.( 4pm--6pm)

you'll probably find it reasonably quiet except near major junctions, cities ect.

the M6 should be ok, except round birmingham at peak times.
i'd allow about 7 hours. (thats what it took us last time from scarborough) depends how you drive.

john.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I am heading down from Lancashire and wondered what would be the quietest times on the road (other than the obvious night time run!).
You've answered your own question!

Basically night time hours between midnight and 0600hrs are the quietest on the motorways.

I'm just south of you and Dover Ferry port is 260 miles from where i live. Leaving home at 0100hrs I once did the run in 2hrs 35min (not in a MH home though!)....but the motorways were deserted and even the M25 was empty. During the day you will be lucky to do the same trip in under five hours.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
. . Allow some extra time to negotiate the M25 around London !

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
You've answered your own question!

Basically night time hours between midnight and 0600hrs are the quietest on the motorways.

I'm just south of you and Dover Ferry port is 260 miles from where i live. Leaving home at 0100hrs I once did the run in 2hrs 35min (not in a MH home though!)....but the motorways were deserted and even the M25 was empty. During the day you will be lucky to do the same trip in under five hours.

I work that out that you travelled at 110.63 mph thats some going at any time!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I work that out that you travelled at 110.63 mph thats some going at any time!!

is that an average or a constant.........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

working it out like that i did the 303miles at an average of 43.3 mph.

bout right for the A64 and A1.

Last edited:

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
Was that on your Scooter Pappjohn? :Smile:
Whichever way you work it out its some going 260miles in 155minutes.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Hi
I live in Lancashire too and have family in East Sussex. I travel Tue, Wed or Thurs. The journey is about 275 mile and takes me around 4 to 5 hours with the occassional break. Even the M25 isnt that bad as long as you hit it and through it before 4 O clock. But there is always the chance of hold ups due to road works or accident. Chill out, relax and enjoy your Holiday.
I am going over mid July for a month, every one says mad as all Europe is on Holiday, not a problem, I will chill, relax and enjoy my trip into new lands.:thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

The M1, M11,M25,A2, M2, M20 around and approaching London are busy all day there doesn't appear to be such a thing as rush hour any more it just continues all day Monday to Friday and the weekend aren't much better during the day time, the only reasonably quiet time is during the night

hi,

should be quietest during the week (mon to fri) after the morning rush (7am--9am) and before the evening rush.( 4pm--6pm)

you'll probably find it reasonably quiet except near major junctions, cities ect.

the M6 should be ok, except round birmingham at peak times.
i'd allow about 7 hours. (thats what it took us last time from scarborough) depends how you drive.

john.

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
The M6 around Wolverhampton & Birminghan are best avoided at any time, my advice would be to come off the M6 at Junction 15 (Stoke) and follow the signs for the A50 until you reach the M1. It's a dual carriageway all the way and is not as heavily congested as the M6.

It was my brother who tipped me off about it as he now uses it all the time on his weekly trips into Europe via Dover.

We are 4 miles from J22 on the M6. Our ferry was at 06:00am he advised us to set off around 5pm to arrive at the M25 around the 9pm mark, and Dover by 10:30pm. Leaving enough time for some sleep.

Last edited:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
I agree. Try to avoid Monday/Friday; Tues/Wed/Thursday are quietest. We live in Wales and take the M54, then M6 toll around Brum in daytime,then onto M25. You need extra time for this and maybe for the approach to Dover.

Good luck and have a great time!
Lucille::bigsmile:

OP
OP
S

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Thanks everyone, great site for lots of helpful info! Now just have to search for
cheapest crossing! Some of the ferry companies dont seem to ask about dogs, am I meant to phone them? Can you go on the tunnel with propane bottles?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks everyone, great site for lots of helpful info! Now just have to search for
cheapest crossing! Some of the ferry companies dont seem to ask about dogs, am I meant to phone them? Can you go on the tunnel with propane bottles?

Tunnel are quite happy with propane bottles but will not allow gas or dual fuel vehicles. Gas bottles have to be turned off (they check) and for some reason they don't allow you to use your own toilet, you have to use theirs, which suck, both figuratively and in actuality!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back