Our Summer Trip (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Well, after a rather interesting opening thread about the breakdowns, I thought I'd tell you about the whole tale.

We set off Wednesday 7th August as we were sailing from Weymouth early next morning.

We called in a pub, the Bull, in Swyre as we had been there a few times before about 10:30.
As soon as we walked in with Elvis, the landlady screamed “get him out, my 2 dogs are in the pub”.
Too late, they were straight in and attacked Elvis. Really vicious and me and Penny dived in to save him.
Penny fell over while trying to pick up Elvis and I was dragging them off.
Then Penny realised that her hand was dripping with blood as the 2 big dogs had bitten her to get to Elvis.

Landlady was screaming that it was our fault and was really abusive. Ambulance and police were called.

Landlady’s son came outside and threatened to “kick my Flipping head in” and said that our dog bit Penny.
The ambulancemen heard the threats and told the police.
By the time we had been to cop shop, it was about 3:00 AM so they told us somewhere nice to camp for the night.
Wow, what a start.

First day in France was at a lovely campsite at Saint Briac Sur Mer, right on the beach.

Arrived with our pals from my youth Friday night near Pontivey and had a great weekend, including a day long village fete on the Sunday Broken Link Removed

Set off Monday morning heading for Mimizan Plage. Quiet camp half way and arrived Mimizan Tuesday, but the whole area was horrendously busy, so we found a quiet spot by a river and had a BBQ, planning to get out of the place next day.

Headed for west side of Pyrenees found a disused ski lift car park with amazing views, so decided to spend the night there. Then saw we had a puncture to had to call Green Flag who were amazing, and took us to a place near Jaca. (that’s where we went when the bike frame snapped a few years ago)
But the recovery truck only had one seat, so I had to wait for a taxi. Amazing views, so not really a chore
The tyre was shagged, so they repaired the slow puncture on the spare. (The slow puncture happened sometime in Brittany).
We then found a nice campsite.

Spent next 3 days along the N260 on the Spanish side. Average altitude was over 4,000 ft, up to 6,000 ft. What an amazing road. Some of it was very tricky in a camper, but worth it for the amazing views.
This road was recommended by a few folk from here, and now I can see why.
Some parts made the Gorge D’Ardeche look like the M1 .

Went into Andorra, and what a shit hole. We decided to pass through, but the repaired tyre went again.

We were in the middle of nowhere.
Called Green Flag about 8:00 PM, but when the recovery truck came, it was too small for the luxury motorhome.

The tale of the recovery has been done elsewhere :moon:

We headed out of Andorra and found a beautiful quiet campsite in the hills of Spain.

Headed down to south coast of France, but was too hot and busy and no dogs allowed on campsites near beach. So headed east and found a lovely “Aire” on motorway near Monpellier and camped for free.

Headed further east to The Alps and up the Route Napoleon to Lac de Sierre Poncon about 20 miles east of Gap.
What a great place. A man made dam, and we found a really quiet camp where we pitched about 10 ft from the lake edge. Stunning views of the amazing mountains all round. It was so good, we stayed 5 nights. Highly recommended.

Next day up to lake Annecy. Along the way, we went over the Col Du Galibier, which rises to a smidge under 10,00 ft. What an amazing road, and it’s part of the Tour de France. Some of roads were a bit bit challenging in the camper.

Annecy was another amazing place and found another great campsite where we pitched about 20’ from lake edge Broken Link Removed

Elvis was almost learning to swim. He tolerated us taking him to cool down, but swam back to the beach when we let him go Broken Link Removed

So nice, we stayed 3 days Broken Link Removed

We decided to do a long day and headed up to Lac d’Orient near Troyes. Arrived late and camped by a lovely river.
We had to stay another night to sort out the pet passport for Elvis so we camped on the lake at Mesnil-St_Pere.
Another amazing camp

270 miles last day and arrived in Calais with enough time to stock up on booze.

2,600 miles, 3 weeks and some of the most amazing roads and scenery I have ever seen.

We may not head as far south again as the Spanish Pyreness but will deffo be heading back to the lovely lakes we found in the Alps. They were all so quiet and peaceful

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We couldn't get many pics in the wilds of the Pyrenees and Alps as nowhere to stop Broken Link Removed

There's a link to all the pics at the bottom...

First day at Saint Briac Sur Mer

SAM_0171_zpscb179c7a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
SAM_0178_zpsf73245fe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Village fete with pals

SAM_0179_zpsfff82fd9.jpg

SAM_0183_zpsbd459655.jpg

This would have been a nice spot to wild camp, but for the puncture
FILE0324_zps5814c034.jpg

FILE0322_zps5376c0b6.jpg

Nice spot for lunch
FILE0339_zps54894708.jpg

Pen being much braver than me.

FILE0349_zps7d7566c3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Camp at lac du Serre Poncon near Gap

FILE0365_zps52462f11.jpg

FILE0366_zps221f768f.jpg

SAM_0285_zps822af242.jpg

FILE0388a_zpscdef8d25.jpg

Almost 9,000 ft - part of Tour de France

FILE0396_zps6c6c88df.jpg

lake Annecy
FILE0413_zpsfa1b1fc9.jpg

FILE0414_zpsfbeaa260.jpg

Wild camp near Troyes
FILE0418_zps9f8ad6a6.jpg

Last night at mesnil-Saint_pere
FILE0422_zpse7c50666.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
We plan to do Annecy and the lakes next spring, you say some of the roads were a challenge, our mh is 2.35m wide and 7.35 long 4 tons, do you think we will encounter problems in the alps?

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We plan to do Annecy and the lakes next spring, you say some of the roads were a challenge, our mh is 2.35m wide and 7.35 long 4 tons, do you think we will encounter problems in the alps?
Stick to normal roads and you will be OK. We only had probs when we went "exploring" :ROFLMAO:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Cracking photo`s,,, thanks for sharing... :thumb:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Great photos, shame to start of your holiday was so traumatic, hope your wife and dog are both OK now. :thumb:

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Great photos, shame to start of your holiday was so traumatic, hope your wife and dog are both OK now. :thumb:
Yes thanks. Dog is too dopey to even remember. Missus just has a small scar on back of wrist.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Excellent photos - and welcome to Fun!....you'll enjoy it, and the different characters on here.

Sounds like you had a bad start and bad middle - but the bits in between look well worth it!

Not surprised you had that treatment in the pub - hope they get their just desserts! Have you heard anything else from the Police?

Looks like you found some stunning places to relax though, so turned out ok in the end.

Now you're a fully fledged member, I suppose you should have a couple of tips then.

You are in a transit, so won't need two jacks. Link Removed They are mechanical jacks, and the most reliable and strongest jacks you will ever find. It will lift 3.5t with ease.

Second tip - Cable housing. The cables on your wiring loom from your left headlight, and feeding the rear lights. Cover them with this stuff, after inspecting them - prone to chaffing through and will give you no end of agro - everything from electrical failure to engine stalling/fake diesel pump issues.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Have you heard anything else from the Police?
They were useless. They believed the lies that the locals told, rather than the medical facts. They never even spoke to ambulancemen.

Gonna make a complaint, to make sure them dogs are muzzled.:Sad:

You are in a transit, so won't need two jacks. Link Removed They are mechanical jacks, and the most reliable and strongest jacks you will ever find. It will lift 3.5t with ease.
Aye, was thinking of one of those as won't take up too much room. But will it need something to stand on to lift van high enough?

PS, I do have a 1.5 ton jack which has lifted alll my cars. Wouldn't budge the van an inch ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back