Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Strategic bolts would make the plate illegal (£1000 fine + MOT fail), and of course if your MH is older than the middle of 2006 then you wouldn't be able to use it at all.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Why???

Lorraine x

Because people who like that kind of personalised plate will pay for it, I would think on EBay prior to Christmas somebody will pay £400 to £600 for that plate, ok its not for every body but some people like them, and some people have got nothing better to spend their money on. People tend to like them or hate them it’s a bit like marmite really.

But think about it, a cheapish plate like that can put £S on the sales value of a van sold privately, so it could add value over its cost price.

A lot of people who buy these plates don’t think of going direct to the DVLA site and pay well over the odds to a broker for them, the brokers earns big wads of money.

As I’ve said not to everybody’s taste but I thought it might be of interest to Scout owners on here, if not I might just buy myself and have nice little profit myself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Why???

Lorraine x

Hi Lorraine.
It defaces the registration mark of the vehicle to read something other than the correct information, thus not allowing the vehicle to be correctly identified for APNR, cameras, RTAs and so on.
As has been said, failure to display the correct registration mark is an offence. Large fine etc.
Quite right too.
If someone hits me I want to able to identify the vehicle involved, not guess what it may have been before alteration.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i think the goverment are two faced over the number plate game on one hand they value a platehigh because it spells something if slightly altered then fine you if you alter it

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The whole point of number plates is that they show the registration of the vehicle on which hey are displayed, as required by law, not something considered amusing by a vehicle owner.

Sought after numbers have a market value, so if you want a silly or personal one, buy it.
If you had a "valued" one, you'd sell it for profit, why shouldn't the govt?

Alteration is an offence, simple.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
okay, so I thought it was something about scouts, as in the Baden Powell variety...:Blush:

Still don't, and probably never will, get the number plate thing though.

Lorraine x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back