Tesco Hudl, what's not to like? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just been looking at the specs, and read a few reviews, seems almost unbeatable for the price. Anybody got one?

Ian

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have one on the way for free!:Smile:
They are on Clubcard Boost at the moment. £60 of vouchers is all that is needed. The spec looks good and we already have USB chargers laying around.
Will repost once we have tried it out!

The only disappointment is that the leather covers aren't currently available.:Sad:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ours actually cost a lot less than I quoted, Shell took advantage of a larger staff discount being offered on everything this week!:thumb:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
BARGAIN! just paid £56 using CC boost.::bigsmile: Thanks guys, never normally use the vouchers, just hand them over at the checkout when I remember, which is practically never. Delivery Tuesday.

Ian

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
BARGAIN! just paid £56 using CC boost.::bigsmile: Thanks guys, never normally use the vouchers, just hand them over at the checkout when I remember, which is practically never. Delivery Tuesday.

Ian

You can use your vouchers to pay for Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry and the Chunnel too Ian!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
At the risk of being a total dimwit, which as far as these things are concerned I am, is it a miniature laptop ? :Blush:

Can it do what laptops can do, like access Motorhomefun and other web sites ? I think I mean can I browse the net, but I'm not sure.

Or is it just a glorified games machine ?

Basic explanations only please, and p**s taking is allowed in this case. ::bigsmile:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
At the risk of being a total dimwit, which as far as these things are concerned I am, is it a miniature laptop ? :Blush:

Can it do what laptops can do, like access Motorhomefun and other web sites ? I think I mean can I browse the net, but I'm not sure.

Or is it just a glorified games machine ?

Basic explanations only please, and p**s taking is allowed in this case. ::bigsmile:

Yes you can access Fun!!!!

Yep! Tablets, ie. iPads, Hudls, Kindle Fires and the like pack MOST of the commonly used laptop functions into a smaller handier package.
There is no seperate keypad but a touch screen. A touch keypad pops up in a window when requiered for inputing stuff.
There is no hard drive as such, storage is by micro SD card. They come with cameras front and back to allow use as a camera and webcam for Skype calls.

Thats it in a nutshell I think!

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Yes you can access Fun!!!!

Yep! Tablets, ie. iPads, Hudls, Kindle Fires and the like pack MOST of the commonly used laptop functions into a smaller handier package.
There is no seperate keypad but a touch screen. A touch keypad pops up in a window when requiered for inputing stuff.
There is no hard drive as such, storage is by micro SD card. They come with cameras front and back to allow use as a camera and webcam for Skype calls.

Thats it in a nutshell I think!

Well if that is the case, I might put one on my Christmas Pressie wish list to Santa. ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Was in Tesco yesterday. Big stand with lights so bright you could hardly see the Hudls but it did not matter neither on demo would work. One just dead, one frozen and not responding to anything. Most impressed Tesco.

Does it have GPS is one question.

PS..... From Jim's link, yes it does have GPS so can do SatNav duties.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can it do what laptops can do

There is one huge difference, no hard drive. So no use in backing up your holiday pics or carrying a load of movies.

It's harder to use the on screen keyboard to edit FUN postings and emails but workable. You can buy a keyboard for them ( cheap ) but at that point you have a laptop ( with no hard drive ).

What makes them attractive is the small size and convenience. Great for reading books in bed or a quick look at FUN in bed. Not great for reading books in sunlight.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Unlike some of them, my (playbook being one) the hudl has a card slot, so you can slip in a 32gig card and when it gets full swop it for another, they're cheap enough.::bigsmile:

Keep all your movies on an SD card Brian.

Ian

Ps. Just bought a class 10 32gig £17.99

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Unlike some of them, my (playbook being one) the hudl has a card slot, so you can slip in a 32gig card and when it gets full swop it for another, they're cheap enough.::bigsmile:

We are talking different numbers here. I've got a well filled 1TB HD full of all our DVDs. Now 1TB / 32G = 32 memory cards. So that would not work for us.

I'm just highlighting the most significant difference between tablet and laptop, which is what he wanted to know.

Another thing, I did not mention, is you can't plug much, if anything, into a tablet. So no long range USB WiFi aerial, no USB broadband dongle. The WiFi one is significant, it costs about as much as the tablet to get a tablet equipped with long range WiFi.

Or you just walk closer to the WiFi hotspot which I recall doing in Riccioni a few months ago and wish I was right now. This is where a tablet is more convenient than a laptop.

OK. I admit it, bottom line is they are great Boys Toys. Boys have to have Toys, it's the law.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ours will be tethered to one of our phones for activity away from wifi, just as we do the laptop.
The Hudl has a HDMI port for movie output these can go on a microSD.

It'll do what we need of it...... HOPEFULLY!

For us it'll be an entertainment and communication device. Its easier to show your pics and vids around on a tablet than on a titchy phone display too. We both have android phones so the familiarity will be useful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Delivered this afternoon in a decent box, looks nice has a slightly rough back so you can hold it easily. Plugged it in, went through the start up screens and I was away, and so far impressed. Connected to wifi with no problem, loaded a film on and it played fine. Download a few apps, grandson grabbed it and played some games.

Google maps works good so I can use it as as a satnav. Connected up to my lappy straight away without any additional software and I copied a film over. Cameras are ok for snap shots but you won't win any competitions with them. It just does everything an Android tablet does but at a cheaper price than most.

Well pleased. :thumb:

Ian

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Got ours yesterday.
All good, no complaints! The Tesco stuff was very handy and we used it to order another free one!
The leather wallets were in stock in Shell's store.

The only downside is Shell keeping me up playing Candy Crush Saga late at night! Headphones next on the list..........::bigsmile:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
We are talking different numbers here. I've got a well filled 1TB HD full of all our DVDs. Now 1TB / 32G = 32 memory cards. So that would not work for us.

Brian I think the point is that a tablet is fine for sorting your holiday snaps - but not as a permanent storage for your photo collection.

Each gigabyte of storage will allow around 350 photos (at 3MB) which should be enough to review your holiday snaps whilst you are still away. Simple editing apps (mostly built in to the operating system) will allow you to crop your pictures and a 7" display is enough to enable you to choose which picture to keep when you have taken multi-shots. The tablet is also good to show off your pictures/bore your neighbours (delete as appropriate) rather than the camera display.

When you get home back them up to your 10 yottabyte hard drive. OK I exaggerate.

Steve

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Take two tablets and call me in the morning.

I've been a great fan of my BlackBerry Playbook, having bought two, it admirably completing the travel tasks I've required of it.
However, BlackBerry have decided to no longer support the Playbook, nor update it with the promised new operating system so I decided to try the Hudl - better specs, similar price and vanilla Android (which is something the Playbook never had). Bought online I have a week to assess it under DSR.
Apart from some baby steps initial hand holding at the start, so far it's very promising.
I don't think it will be returned.

I think it will suit the average user very well, perhaps disappointing the bleeding edge geeks as it's not the pinnacle of tablet technology but so far it seems to outperform the Playbook, so I'm a happy bunny.

Perfect for the traveller.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hudls are appearing in EBay, £115 buy it now, £7 postage!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

They appear to be selling!!!!!:Eeek::Doh:

Tescos offer a Hudl with free postage for £118!

ARE PEOPLE MAD??????!!!!!!!!!!!!:Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so far it's very promising.r.

Give or take a pinch of salt they are all the same, it's whether Android delivers the goods for you that counts.

It's V4 now, well matured for tablets. I think it does deliver.

For that matter, my phone on V2 does just about everything, star gazing, navigation, emails, FUN and even phoning.

The price of apps, if not free is staggeringly good value. I have just paid £30+ for Copilot Live with all of Europe maps, dear as apps go but coppers as SatNav goes.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Well I dropped hints about a Hudl for Christmas and SWMBO said that if I want one get it now before the rush.
So I have one and it does , for me, what it says it should. I have bought a MiFi as well, but haven't activated it yet cos it's payg and I'm still on home wifi.

I am still learning my way round it but I have been on Fun, my e-mails and surfed the net. all the things that I want it for when we are in the MH.

All told, I am well pleased. :thumb:

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
I am reading this with great interest. My kindle 3g died at schiphol airport :cry: I loved it, now I dont know whether to buy another one, the paperwhite version when it comes out in November, so I can buy books anywhere abroad. Or use a HUDL, or a kindle fire,which is about the same price. I read lots and lots, and love to carry it with me everywhere.
The kindle battery lasts ages, handy if we are off hook up. But the 3g version is very expensive really. How long does the battery last realistically on the Hudl. And is it uncomfortable to hold to read in bed for an hour or so.

Decisions decisions. Maybe I should put both on my xmas list. Or maybe I should have the cheap kindle, and adapt to having to wait until we have wifi. Which realistically is 9 months of the year.

What would other funsters do. I must admit i get a bit overwhelmed by the choices out there. And the mental energy I have put in to trying to decide whether to get mifi or not. MInd you we now have an iphone so can tether the laptop in the UK.

Help!!!!:Eeek:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I thought of tethering my phone to the Hudl, but depending on how you are set up bundle wise on your phone, it could prove pretty expensive. That's why I decide a payg mifi would be cheaper in the long term.

Can't comment on the other points as it hasn't gone flat yet and I don,t read in bed. I'm not in it long enough to get all of the sleep I need AND read. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back