Poor Breakdown Recovery Service? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but most folk in this bit will have some may have European experience

Anyway, start of August we set off around France and Spain with Green Flag cover

We headed for west side of Pyrenees found a disused ski lift car park with amazing views, so decided to spend the night there.
Then saw we had a puncture so had to call Green Flag. But the recovery truck only had one seat, so I had to wait about 2 hours for a taxi.
Not really ideal, as in the middle of nowhere with only 1/2 litre of water.
The tyre was shagged, so they repaired the slow puncture on the spare.

Went into Andorra, and what a shit hole. We decided to pass through, but the repaired tyre went again.
We were in the middle of nowhere.

Called Green Flag about 8:00 PM, but when the recovery truck came, it was too small for the motorhome.
He said he would come back in the morning. It was about 10:00 by this point, so really too late to do anything. We had to sleep there, which was a bit scary.
In the morning, he came back with the same truck, and took us to a garage, with just the spare to get fixed. He dropped us there and pissed off, leaving us at the mercy of the garage owner.

The garage owner told us it would be 210 Euros per tyre and he had to fit a matching pair. We were high and dry and had to agree. It took about 6 more trips to the camper to get all sorted as he didn’t have proper jacks or tools to take the puncture tyre off.

We were getting really pissed off as even though we were dropped off at the camper, we couldn’t go in as it was on jacks. Really hot and only minimal food and water. Eventually sorted about 6:00 as all the tyre shops shut for 3 hour lunch..
Then he added 50 euros for all the running about.
He also insisted we pay cash as it was all in the pocket for him.

As we were leaving, we saw the tow truck pull up with another foreign victim ready for a sting. That's when we realised the scam.

I have since complained to Green Flag, but all they offered was the £50 extra charged and £50 for inconvenience. I though that was insulting.

AS we see it the main complaints are ..

• They were in breach of contract for not recovering us.
    The recovery truck took us to a dodgy mate of his.
    We were charged way over the top for 2 tyres. (Green Flag say that the dealing with garage is up to me, but it was the dodgy bloke who took us there.)
    If we had been recovered properly to a tyre place, we would have been on our way by 10:00. We lost a whole day.
    We went a whole day with minimal food and water

Has anybody been let down abroad ?

Should we push for more compensation ?

Cheers

PS, will introduce myself properly soon :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i droke down many years ago had green flag our experience totally different to say the least we broke down near Toulouse broken prop shaft the guy could not fix it on site so he towed us to his parents farm as it was going to be a few days before i could get the parts from the UK
we were treat like royalty bringing us wine bread letting the kids use the Poole after three days the prop shaft arrived and we were on our way they would not take a penny from us not even for his time.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the way you wrote that makes it sound like you travelled abroad with a known bad spare and at least one on the van reaching the end of its working life. breakdown cover is not a substitute to proper maintenance and common sense.

having said that, you got ripped off for being a foreigner and unlikely to come back and complain. plenty of unscrupulous garages etc in this country do the same. as for green flag, they had somebody come to your aid, but have no control what local agents do. if they get a few similar complaints they may find a different agent in that area. doubt it would be reported to local gendarmes though. so the conmen rake the money in with little risk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
We had 5* service from the RAC when we broke down in France, years ago now, they even had a brake drum flown from Germany as they couldn`t source one in England, this all done by telephone, two French men turned up on a Sunday to fit it, had to laugh as they turned up in a batterd old green van. didn`t cost us a penny, highly recommend the RAC you never know how good the breakdown service is until you need them, sorry cannot help with your problem, re recompence.

We had a cracked brake drum due to an accident

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
anyone that doesnt carry there own equipment to change a wheel deserves pain .
always carry a jack and tools capable of undoing and tightening the wheel nuts . wheel nuts should be checked regular anyway . if you had a decent spare you could have changed it then driven to a garage .
mind i say carry two spares if going abroad uk is the best place to buy tyres .

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Lesson learned then - maybe the hard way this time, but you won't be doing that again!

When going anywhere outside of the UK it is more important than ever to ensure all your maintenance is up to date. You are asking your engine to perform in extremes of temperature for long periods......so give it a service, and ensure your cambelt/water pump schedules are up to date, replace if even vaguely near due.

Check ALL tyres, age and condition - replace if worn or perished. Practice changing the REAR wheel, as this will be the more difficult.

We all learn lessons if life! As a relative used to say, no point getting older if you don't get any wiser.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Think the last two replies a bit harsh, that is why I edited my post, wasn`t our fault. others don`t always know the circumstances, there for the grace of god etc.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The price per tyre sounds about right if they were camping car tyres, and tyres as with mechanical problems, generally in spain are expensive no matter what the vehicle

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
always carry a jack and tools capable of undoing and tightening the wheel nuts . wheel nuts should be checked regular anyway . if you had a decent spare you could have changed it then driven to a garage .

Sorry but I do not agree that everyone should be fit and well enough to scramble about under a van getting a spare and fitting it.
I have a spare but would not change it at the side of the road

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Even if you are not up to, or do not want to change a wheel yourself at the side of the road, I guess this sad story is a wake up call to those venturing to foreign climes particularly, to at least carry a decent spare and the necessary jack and wheel spanner to change it. I would not venture out in my car without one (even have one for the Smart Car Toad) so why would I have no spare in a motorhome? I know many cars are specced without them these days due to greedy manufacturers penny pinching, but I always ensure my cars and motorhome have a good spare and the tools to change a wheel.

If you don't, you run the risk of a similar scenario to the OP:Eeek:.......

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My clutch went in my car in france this year.

Green Flag were absolutely fantastic. Came out to me quickly and arranged car hire until it was fixed.

My brother had a completely different experience with Brittania rescue when he had an accident in France a few days later.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Ours didn`t and hasn`t got a spare wheel,,,,, only a compressor and some kit in a sealed bag.. :Sad:

I presume it will be OK for a nail in the tyre or the like, but NO good for a blow out...:Doh:

But as with all the RV`s we have had I shall get a carcass, would sooner have a whole wheel, but sourcing one alloy wheel is becoming a pain..

And with the speed of traffic these days, and the nutters out there I will let the breakdown people have the pleasure of changing the wheel, should the occasion arise.. :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Ours didn`t and hasn`t got a spare wheel,,,,, only a compressor and some kit in a sealed bag.. :Sad:

I presume it will be OK for a nail in the tyre or the like, but NO good for a blow out...:Doh:

But as with all the RV`s we have had I shall get a carcass, would sooner have a whole wheel, but sourcing one alloy wheel is becoming a pain..

And with the speed of traffic these days, and the nutters out there I will let the breakdown people have the pleasure of changing the wheel, should the occasion arise.. :Smile:

We had a blowout last year without a spare - a real pain.

I "persuaded" the AA to come to our rescue despite them arguing we were overweight. Nice chap came along but his jack couldnt lift the van because it was so heavy.

There followed a desperate search for the vehicle jack which I had never seen (or looked for) :Doh:

Then had to go to a tyre place and get a new tyre.

It was a bit fraught because it was a Friday afternoon, almost closing time by the time we got there.

Our new van has got a spare but I haven't investigated how you get at it, or where the jack is::bigsmile:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Am I right in saying, even if I could get the same size in a steel wheel it wont fit on because of a different configuration of the axle`s with alloy`s..?

Plenty of room in the boot to carry either a carcass or complete wheel.. :Smile:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Am I right in saying, even if I could get the same size in a steel wheel it wont fit on because of a different configuration of the axle`s with alloy`s..?

Plenty of room in the boot to carry either a carcass or complete wheel.. :Smile:

Personally VeryOldMoIceCreamMan, I would source another exact alloy, fit a new tyre and then any problems you might have, whilst on vacation, will go away. Further when you cross the channel, I would carry another carcass as well. After all, they are dirt cheap for those little wheels of yours. :ROFLMAO:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
You all wait until you get a double blow out at the same time, that can really cause you a problem.

When I ran my own business I was travelling back to Wiltshire from Sheffield in my Company van. At about 3 o'clock in the morning whilst travelling along the A419 just outside Swindon (20 miles from home) I came round a corner to find that someone or something had dropped a bag load of rubble on the road, the bag had split open and the bricks where spread across the road.

I swerved to avoid most of the rubble but both my Nearside tyres hit the bricks and both tyres where damaged causing both to split.

I had a good spare on board so was able to change one wheel, but what could I do about the other, nothing at the time.

Called out the RAC who attended, jacked up the vehicle (Metro van) took off the wheel, transported me and the wheel to a Swindon garage who the RAC bloke had contacted, fitted a new tyre, took me back to the vehicle, refitted the wheel and then I was on my way again.

Got home 3-4hrs late, the RAC service was really good. If it had not been for his local contacts and knowledge I could have been waiting until somewhere like Kwik Fit opened in the morning.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
You may have green flag cover but as with all Brakedown companies they use sub-contractors for many jobs

You can not expect the same service
You are abroad.

You are responsible for the correct upkeep of your motor
You should have the tools to change the wheel with you

Sounds like you where ill prepared for the journey
Then bitch about poor service

If I had a blow out. As I did earlier this year
I used the Spare wheel. Then the following day. Got a new tyre fitted
I do not rely on some one else to have the tools to deal
With my motor I have what's needed.
Having a disability I unable to do such works
But like most who travel. We make sure every thing is I. As good a shape as it can be before leaving

Sorry if I sound unsympathetic
I do not have any sympathy for your bad experience

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005

Our current m/h has alloy wheels fitted but a steel spare ...... this proved it's worth and worked perfectly when we had a puncture on the busy A14 dual carriageway our way to Devon recently. It was a Sunday afternoon and no chance of getting a new tyre nearby so we would have been stuck.

A very nice man from the RAC came along and fitted the spare so we were back on the road within the hour. The steel wheel stayed on for a couple of days until we managed to get a new tyre in Barnstaple.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have found Green Flag to be excellent but then I do tend to check my tyres and emergency equipment before setting out on such a trip. Sods law says things will only go wrong in the worst situation possible.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
always carry a jack and tools capable of undoing and tightening the wheel nuts . wheel nuts should be checked regular anyway . if you had a decent spare[HI] you could have changed it then driven to a garage[/HI] .

Whilst I agree that you should carry the tools and good tyres (including spare) I have to disagree with you when you say " you could have changed it then driven to a garage" I am an old boy, far to old to change my wheels and would have to get some young whipper snapper, like yourself, to change it for me ::bigsmile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Better find out no point in find out too late

:ROFLMAO:

We had a blowout last year without a spare - a real pain.

I "persuaded" the AA to come to our rescue despite them arguing we were overweight. Nice chap came along but his jack couldnt lift the van because it was so heavy.

There followed a desperate search for the vehicle jack which I had never seen (or looked for) :Doh:

Then had to go to a tyre place and get a new tyre.

It was a bit fraught because it was a Friday afternoon, almost closing time by the time we got there.

Our new van has got a spare but I haven't investigated how you get at it, or where the jack is::bigsmile:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
About 2 months before we went to Spain In January, we got the van MoT'd and then had any advisory notices completed before we started travelling. Ensured we had the receipts with us at all times as evidence that when we left the UK our vehicle was in good condition. It was part of the terms of my Breakdown cover. (C&CC)

Luckily, we had no need for any Breakdown service assistance, but, should we have needed any we could show proof of the vehicle condition prior to leaving the UK.

MoT is due again on 1st November ready for the next season.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Think the last two replies a bit harsh, that is why I edited my post, wasn`t our fault. others don`t always know the circumstances, there for the grace of god etc.

Not harsh at all

Now my post is harsh :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile::RollEyes:

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Thanks for the positive replies.

Unfortunately, due to the ignorance of some people, they made ill-informed assumptions that were way off the mark.

The van was 100% OK when I left home. But can't be bothered to explain to those who want to have a go.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks for the positive replies.

Unfortunately, due to the ignorance of some people, they made ill-informed assumptions that were way off the mark.

The van was 100% OK when I left home. But can't be bothered to explain to those who want to have a go.

So are most others - people generally do not leave home with a puncture. But they happen. Unpredictably. However "100%" your tyres or van are.

The point is, in a foreign country you really are taking a chance by not carrying a spare wheel and tools to change a wheel, whether or not you ever want to change it yourself. You found out the hard way that if you had had a spare and the relevant tools to change the wheel, it would have been very easy to sort out via the Breakdown Service. Instead, you were delayed for hours and spent a lot of money - that was the chance you took and unfortunately it did not work out for you this time.

People are just pointing out that if you rely on a Breakdown Service to supply absolutely everything in a foreign country, you may end up disappointed. If you can avoid undue delays and stress by carrying a spare wheel, jack and wheel spanner which breakdown services can use to get you going quickly, why would you not do so? Looks like you are taking umbrage at hearing a bit of common sense. If you can't be bothered to carry a spare wheel or jack/spanner, then don't moan about breakdown services, delays and high prices when your MH has a punctured tyre. :Eeek:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Alloy v steel wheels

Our current m/h has alloy wheels fitted but a steel spare ...... this proved it's worth and worked perfectly when we had a puncture on the busy A14 dual carriageway our way to Devon recently. It was a Sunday afternoon and no chance of getting a new tyre nearby so we would have been stuck.

A very nice man from the RAC came along and fitted the spare so we were back on the road within the hour. The steel wheel stayed on for a couple of days until we managed to get a new tyre in Barnstaple.

As your motorhome was supplied with both it would be ok

But some alloy wheels have a dome or round shape bolt and steel wheels generally have a vee shape where it clamps the wheel on

It might be worth to ask the makers. :thumb:

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
So are most others - people generally do not leave home with a puncture. But they happen. Unpredictably. However "100%" your tyres or van are.

The point is, in a foreign country you really are taking a chance by not carrying a spare wheel and tools to change a wheel, whether or not you ever want to change it yourself. You found out the hard way that if you had had a spare and the relevant tools to change the wheel, it would have been very easy to sort out via the Breakdown Service. Instead, you were delayed for hours and spent a lot of money - that was the chance you took and unfortunately it did not work out for you this time.

People are just pointing out that if you rely on a Breakdown Service to supply absolutely everything in a foreign country, you may end up disappointed. If you can avoid undue delays and stress by carrying a spare wheel, jack and wheel spanner which breakdown services can use to get you going quickly, why would you not do so? Looks like you are taking umbrage at hearing a bit of common sense. If you can't be bothered to carry a spare wheel or jack/spanner, then don't moan about breakdown services, delays and high prices when your MH has a punctured tyre. :Eeek:

You keep saying that I didn't have a spare wheel. That is untrue.

And there was a jack, it just didn't work.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
snip
But some alloy wheels have a dome or round shape bolt and steel wheels generally have a vee shape where it clamps the wheel on

snip :thumb:

I totally agree and I did ask the RAC man to make absolutely certain the existing alloy wheel bolts would be ok on the steel rim.

However, as you rightly say, anyone buying a steel aftermarket steel wheel for a spare should check this point.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back